Training pads General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by My Henry boy, Jan 5, 2019.

1. My Henry boy

My Henry boy New Member

Name:
    Henry

Training pads

Hi guys , here I go again with my Henry drama :rolleyes: anyway I didn’t crate train and I probably should’ve, but I wanted Henry to feel free and not restricted. I’m usually away for the most part but my boyfriend works from home so Henry is left alone at the most for two hours in the day. We give him a long hallway that’s closed off by a doggy door when he’s alone. Our problem now is he’s destroying his training pads like nobody’s business! He also knocks over his water bowl constantly even though it’s pretty heavy and he’s in the hallway with all his toys and comfy bed :( thoughts on how I can fix this ???

Attached Files:

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Lol... my dogs would do the same with training pads sometimes, so don’t have any tips on that.

It’s never too late to try crate training.

They make some no spill water bowls, but I don’t know how well they work. They also make, or you couid make, a low table that bowls set into. Another option would be to use a plastic bowl that has room on the bottom to pour some concrete into, to weight it down, and let him try and knock that over!! Mine don’t spill their bowls, but they do walk away from them with water in their mouths and dribble it around the house.. Just part of having dogs I think.
  4. My Henry boy

My Henry boy New Member

Name:
    Henry
    My boy does the same thing, there’s water drool all over the apt haha and you know what I will for sure try getting a maybe sturdier bowl, I thought the ceramic one would be enough but he still manages to knock it over lol. I know I probably should crate train, I’m going to look into that. Thank you :)
  5. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    You need a flat weighted base for the water bowl
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I use bowls like this:
    [​IMG]
    A small one just inside the salon doorway for water, and a larger one for Tikva's evening meal, which she has in the kitchen

They cannot be tipped over because of the shape, and the rubber edging round the base end means that they cannot be "walked" across the floor.

I had not used puppy pads or a crate before I got Tikki. The crate, which is in my bedroom was, and still is, only for night - she did have a day bed in the salon for when she wanted to sleep during the day, with a puppy pad in front of it. Her crate was lined with one [a folded blanket or pad at the sleeping end] and she was very quick at learning what the pads were for. And never tore them up.
  7. My Henry boy

My Henry boy New Member

Name:
    Henry
    I think I for sure need one that doesn’t slide, and that one looks to have some rubber on the bottom which would probably help the situation. I have wood floors and the ceramic water bowl I have for Henry easily slides across the hallway lol
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Yes, there is a rubber edging on the bottom of the bowl. I have stone tiled floors and the only time Tikki moved her food bowl was because she decided to keep checking that she had not left any of her evening meal, taking the mat it was on with it!

The bowls are very inexpensive, with free postage from AliExpress in China. I could not use a heavier bowl as I would not be able to pick it up.
  9. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    If you have wood floors I'd also go for the above type water bowl and it he still manages to slide it, a bit of blutack might help
  10. My Henry boy

My Henry boy New Member

Name:
    Henry
    Aww so adorable!! Yes Henry does that on occasion as well, it’s very funny. I will check that page out , thank you so much!
  11. My Henry boy

My Henry boy New Member

Name:
    Henry
    Thank you Chris! I’m going to check out the top bowls for sure.
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Go to https://www.aliexpress.com and type Stainless Steel Dog Food Bowl in the search panel. There are 3 or 4 sizes of the one pictured in my message #5 with prices ranging from US $1.97 - 3.90 according to size [postage free]. If you want a similar style but not necessarily stainless steel, just type Dog Food Bowl and there will be hundreds to choose from.

[Ignore the fact that the page will probably come up with "Ship to Israel" on the top right hand side of it as you can change the country and currency to where you live]
  13. My Henry boy

My Henry boy New Member

Name:
    Henry
    Perfect! Thank you so much, will check them out :)
  14. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Check out puppy pee pads as well. They are much cheaper than the original lot I bought here when she was tiny. I have bought all of Tikva's stuff from there, plus things for myself. The only snag is that delivery can take a few weeks - well to Israel it can.