Ear question General Chat

Discussion in 'Miniature Pinscher' started by Marine4ever, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Marine4ever

Marine4ever New Member

Name:
    Denny

Ear question

Hi everyone. We just purchased Minnie, our first min pin yesterday afternoon from her breeder/owner. She is 6-months old and EXTREMELY shy and fearful of us so far. We are hoping she will warm up to us soon in the next few days/weeks. She hasn't made a sound yet, so we don't even know what she sounds like. Her owner said she was going to show her, but turned out to be a bit too small. (About 5 lbs.) She is docked & cropped and still wearing her posts, probably for quite awhile yet, as she is still teething. Any estimates on how long you think she will need to keep her posts on her show-length cropped ears? We haven't even seen her ears so are looking forward to the reveal day, but don't want to rush it.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    CaroleC likes this.
    I would think the breeder would have told you how long to leave the posts, I would contact the breeder. I personally don’t like the cropping/docking, just seems cruel to me. I do hope she warms up to you soon, but given her age and that she’s left the only home she’s known it may take awhile. Good luck and welcome to the forum
  4. Marine4ever

Marine4ever New Member

Name:
    Denny
    Thank you. We are looking forward to a long and loving relationship with her. She's a sweetie. Just real reluctant to "allow" us into her inner circle right now. We've heard these breeds can be a bit independent and standoffish.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Cropping ears has been illegal in the UK since 1899, so I'm afraid that I have no knowledge of how long it takes for them to become permanently pricked. The breeder really should have given you full instructions on the care of Minnie's ears.
    At six months it is bound to take a little time for her to bond with you. She will relax when she has time to adjust to her new environment.
  6. Marine4ever

Marine4ever New Member

Name:
    Denny
    The breeder was very nice, knowledgeable and helpful, but said the process would likely be finished when the posts came off. She just couldn't say when that would be, as apparently , each dog's ears stand permenantly upright at different times, with teething, body growth and length of ears all being contributing factors. I was just trying to get forum member's opinions, based on their past experiences, if any, with the cropping process. I know cropping is controversial, but we bought the pup after she was alreagy cropped, so we didn't have the choice. She just had one dog and we fell in love with her. (Didn't go looking for a cropped dog.)
    We're just happy to have her in our home, hope she adjusts quickly, and is done with the posting asap. Thanks
  7. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    I see SO many bad crops here. You've got to wonder who is doing them. With that said, the way her ears look after the posts are removed also depends on how well the crop was done.

Here's a local "pit bull breeder". This dog isn't a pit bull. He isn't REALLY a breeder but that's neither here nor there.

This dogs crop looks terrible. He basically just has no ears. He also has a scar on his face and doesn't look too happy.

Hopefully your girl has nice looking ears. Agree with the others about asking the breeder.

Attached Files:

8. Marine4ever

Marine4ever New Member

Name:
    Denny
    Thanks so much for your comment. We haven't seen our girl's ears yet, as they were posted when we picked her up. We "assume" the crop was very well done, as the breeder is listed as a Breeder of Merit with the AKC. We were told our Mini was expected to show until she didn't grow quite large enough for minum show standards. Mini is scheduled for spaying on February 5th, so we will see her ears for the first time when the doctor removes her ear wraps. We are praying and our fingers are crossed that the big reveal will be a pleasant surprise. But if not, we will love her just the same. Thanks again for your thoughts. I will try to post a before and after phot of her.