Rawhide bones are dangerous for dogs Health

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by Brunniebabe, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Brunniebabe

Brunniebabe New Member

Name:
    Gail
    berry likes this.

Rawhide bones are dangerous for dogs

Well I will admit to giving my Bruno Rawhide bones while out to occupy him and when he went ill with prostrate trouble they also found out he had Colitis and the problem behind it was the bones and also dentastix for dogs after asking we what he had besides his harringtons...so they was totally cut out but what I found out about Rawhide bones was shocking besides chemicals used.

sp24a_copy.jpg
    (The details on how the product is made)

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/rawhide-dangerous-for-dogs/
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    berry and Brunniebabe like this.
    I have read so many bad things about these chews although I don’t know any dogs that have had problems, but, I have never dared to give them to my dog....just in case
    I hope your dog is ok now, what’s the update, is there anything long term ?
  4. Brunniebabe

Brunniebabe New Member

Name:
    Gail
    I did read about these and they do cause colitis in dogs and can lodge in their stomach's...leave well alone ;)

I lost my Bruno 2 years ago to stage 3 kidney disease, we had to have him put to sleep bad infection got in...it was the hardest week on me and my hubby we ever went through deciding because the vet said the next stage would be finding my dog in a coma.:(
  5. Brunniebabe

Brunniebabe New Member

Name:
    Gail
  6. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    The rawhide is not digestible. I used to give these to my dogs many years ago, but haven’t in a very long time. I find it sad that pet stores still sell them, even good pet stores that don’t sell crappy food brands, like Purina, eukenuba etc.
  7. Brunniebabe

Brunniebabe New Member

Name:
    Gail
    I totally agree with you marc and I stopped the dentastix as they're fattening but the vet did say if your able to when they're puppies...give them a carrot to chew on peeled that's as good as any cleaning product being sold for ceaning your dogs teeth...I tried Bruno and he looked at me and my hubby like we'd gone mad :lol:
  8. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    I gave my dogs a carrot a few days ago, Katie Mae ate them both as Bandit wasn’t interested. Well he was interested in guarding it from Katie Mae for awhile
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    My two love carrot, (and broccoli stem, and cabbage centres). I buy large washed ones, and don't bother peeling them, just slice them in two from top to bottom. Sometimes I freeze them, for more gum action, and to make them last longer.
  10. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Brunniebabe likes this.
    My previous dog got these for a long time...

And then one day... He swallowed a piece whole and choked on it. He was literally choking. Heaving. Couldn't get it up or down. My brother actually had to perform the heimlich on him.

The piece of mushy white raw hide came FLYING out after a few thrusts... Tossed and never bought another rawhide again.

Nigredo won't touch veggies or fruits at all except dried cranberry. And it has to have sugar on it... Or he won't touch that either.
  11. Brunniebabe

Brunniebabe New Member

Name:
    Gail
    MJ my Bruno wouldn't touch veg at all but you give him any form of fruit and he was in wonderland :rolleyes: