New to the Forum Introductions

Discussion in 'Your Introductions' started by Steve Dean, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Steve Dean

Steve Dean New Member

Name:
    Steve Dean

New to the Forum

Hi All

My name is Steve Dean, I am a retired police dog handler / trainer and a breeder of Tydain German Shepherds.

I have recently become involved with a new breed and imported the first two Ruwhaar Dutch Herders into the UK, they are basically Rough Coat Dutch Herders or Shepherds. I have a 4 year old male called Conrad v.d Roneberg (Conny) and a 3 year old female called Yntje-Uniek v.d Bothof (Puck).

It is believed that there are between 800 - 1000 of them worldwide and the Dutch breed club are very excited that for the first time they are now in the UK. I have found them an absolute delight to live with and a joy to own. They are not as high drive as their short coat counterpart but still retain sufficient work ethic and drive.

If anyone would like more information please drop me a line or respond to my introduction. The dark photo is my male Conny and the lighter coloured brindle is the female Puck. Thank You.

Attached Files:

• Head.jpg
      Head.jpg
      File size:
      94.5 KB
      Views:
    • Head.jpg
      Head.jpg
      File size:
      132.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    How fascinating. Have the KC accepted them for entry onto the Import Register? Is the rough-coated classed as a separate breed, or as a variety? Do you know much about the history of the breed/type - was there Lakenois blood involved in their development?
  4. Steve Dean

Steve Dean New Member

Name:
    Steve Dean
    CaroleC likes this.
    Hi there, the breed is as old as the German or Belgian Shepherds and like the Belgian has different types, short coat, long coat and Rough coat.

Non of the Dutch Shepherds are recognised by the UK KC however they are recognised by the FCI and most other countries.

As far as I’m aware no Lakenois was used to create the rough coat as I believe the Ruwhaar and Lakenois were developed as a breed at similar times, however prior to the breeds being recognised as such there may be some common ancestry.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Thanks for the reply. Very interesting.
  6. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Hi Steve and welcome aboard.

Didn't you run the Met Police breeding scheme at one time, or am I thinking of someone else?
  7. Steve Dean

Steve Dean New Member

Name:
    Steve Dean

Hi there, I did from 1991 to 2005 when I retired.
  8. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Steve Dean likes this.
    Thought so. You did a wonderful job there so my guess is you will do your Dutch Herders proud. x
  9. Steve Dean

Steve Dean New Member

Name:
    Steve Dean
    Thank you, that is very kind. Regards Steve