Puppy food / dog food Questions

Discussion in 'Akita' started by Broly, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Broly

Broly New Member

Name:
    Week3ndwolf

Puppy food / dog food

I'm curious as to what food previous Akita owners have used and or are currently using? We are currently feeding our pups Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream Puppy Formula (Grain Free). We consistently have solid stool, and both my pups seem to love it.

Has anyone tried a raw diet? If anyone has any feeding recommendations we are all ears!

We feed our Broly 4 times a day 1 cup per meal. Our 8 month, chuncky monkey, Athena is still on the puppy food but only receives 2 total cups of food. We give her like a 1/4 at a time when we feed Broly to get them comfortable and used to feeding routine together. We are thinking of switching Athena off puppy food just because she is getting a little over weight. Now we do live in freezing Ohio so this could be just because she gets less activity than in the warmer months.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Broly likes this.
    I have been a raw feeder since mid 2011, first with Pereg [the girl in my avatar] and now with Tikva - who I put on raw once I had weaned her. But - I have never owned a large dog - Pereg weighed just over 20kg and Tikva, who is three-years and [nearly] nine-months old, weighs about 6.5kg of rock solid bone and muscle, although looks quite small for her weight.

I feed what is basically the BARF diet, but have adjusted it as to what I am able to obtain.
  4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Broly and Malka like this.
    What is suitable for one dog, or even one breed, may not be the best for another.
    For large breeds it best to feed ‘large breed puppy or adult’ to stop them growing to fast which can cause joint problems
    If you decide to go for Raw, do lots of research as an unbalanced, poorly formulated raw diet could cause long term health problems.
    If you go to https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/ you can find a list of their top rated dog foods.
  5. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Broly likes this.
    I fed both my dogs the same, taste of the wild pacific stream puppy (grain free). I switched them to taste of the wild pine forest as they got older. I chose that because it didn’t have potatoes. Now I feed my dogs nutrisource, which is a step up quality wise, and price wise too.. they both like it much more, and wolf it down. With the taste of the wild often some would be left in the bowl..
  6. lojo

lojo New Member

Name:
    Lo
    Broly likes this.
    My pup needed those bowls with ridges to slow his eating down, until I fed him raw food. Now he doesn't like his kibble. Im lucky to have a great raw food distributer in my small town, so I feed him that at night. He goes Crazy for his raw food. Hes 8 months old and still has soft fur, so I cant say its from the food. For breaky, I give him Orijen. And he doesn't love it, last bag was Blue Buffalo puppy. I give him fish oil in his kibble, will also give him sardines (in water) to help him eat his kibble.. I will also give him eggs, lettuce, cucumber, carrots, some broc, sweet potatoes, any healthy cooked meat, bananas, sliced apples, rice, watermelon and celery when Im cooking and have these on hand. Hes my little sous chef at meal time, helps me with any spilled items and official carrot end tester:)
    My pups a good chewer, but I like the feeding him kibble as well as raw to keep up his oral health:)
  7. Keith Wiethe

Keith Wiethe New Member

Name:
    Keith
  8. Keith Wiethe

Keith Wiethe New Member

Name:
    Keith