Aggressive dogs and stupid owners!!! Behaviour

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by BronsonTheBulldog, Jun 9, 2019.

1. BronsonTheBulldog

BronsonTheBulldog Member

Name:
    Gareth
    Old and Pork1epe1 like this.

Aggressive dogs and stupid owners!!!

Bronson got attacked this morning by another dog on our walk, so what I want to say is...
    If you know you've got an aggressive dog that doesn't get on with other dogs, then do something about it to correct this behaviour, don't just constantly warn other dog walkers/owners, then let your dog go for every other one that goes near it. Your dog is your responsibility and it's behaviour/aggression is a reflection of your attitude to life. Would your let your child go round attacking every other kid it sees? No, so why is it acceptable to let a dog do it?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Hope Bronson is OK.
  4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Poor Bronson, I hope he’s ok.
    Sadly there will always be people who have no consideration for others.
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Oh dear, poor Mr Bronson - I do hope he was not hurt and is OK.
  6. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Was the aggressor on lead and did Bronson by any chance approach him/her off lead?

So sorry this has happened. We have to be oh so careful these days
  7. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Fully agree. Can't stand seeing reactive/aggressive dogs in public places. At least muzzle them so they can't bite other animals or people. My dog is 100 lbs and most aggressive dogs tend to leave him alone, but I've had issues now and then... Usually a pit bull or a Chihuahua. Hopefully your dog is fine.
  8. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    I hope Mr Bronson is ok. So sorry to read about this. Please let us know how he’s doing.

With the breed I have I never let them off leash away from home, as I know they don’t particularly care for other dogs, but I also don’t shy away from taking them into Home Depot or the pet food store, where the employees really like them. I will say however that nobody should let their dog approach another dog, on or off leash, without asking the owner first if it’s ok. IMO that’s just good dog edict 101.
  9. BronsonTheBulldog

BronsonTheBulldog Member

Name:
    Gareth
    Old likes this.
    Just an update on the little man, and sorry for the late reply as I've not been well myself.

Thankfully he's ok, and thank you from us both for all the messages of support. It looked and sounded worse in the moment! I checked him over fully when I brought straight him home and it looks like he only got grabbed by his loose neck skin, with a tiny scratch behind his ear, no puncture marks or deep gashes.

Bronson's trouble is, he wants to play with everyone/dog he sees which isn't a bad thing, but I have to be careful around new dogs, which this one was (a bull mastif type.) Now I'm not saying just because it was a BM that that was the reason it was agressive, he's had similar encounters with nasty Yorkies which the owner warned me about when I approached. But they were both on leads as I always take that precaution before introductions if I see someone in the distance. Bronson barks to instigate play and still has his boisterous puppy enthusiasm which I try to keep in check, so as not to irritate dogs that just want to be left alone. I am a considerate owner, but this guy I passed didnt seem to have a clue how to handle or control his dog, which showed through his lack of knowledge in what to do in this situation, not trying to stop or pull his dog away after going for Bronson. Plus he didn't speak English, so couldn't communicate.
    Which got me thinking, to have a dog you should have to pass a test and gain a licence, like you do with cars to prove your safe and competent to own an animal. Demonstrating handling and safety knowledge in all manner of situations.
    Then your details can be kept on record in case of any issues, so it can be referred back to for any authorities that might need to deal with the owner.
    And if you change dogs you change the details.
    Anyway, that's just my opinion.
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  10. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    I worry the same thing could happen to my gsd. How did you break it up? I’m not sure what I’d do.
  11. BronsonTheBulldog

BronsonTheBulldog Member

Name:
    Gareth
    Old likes this.
    I just managed to pull my dog away with not much damage thankfully. But the noise of the poor thing screaming will never leave me!
  12. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    I don’t know what we are supposed to do. I’ve considered putting a bullet in the ground. Startle them enough to get things under control. (Then get arrested for discharge in the city limits.) There must be a proper way to break up an attack/fight. I’m going to check around.
  13. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    A small marine air horn might do the trick and probably won’t get you arrested...
  14. BronsonTheBulldog

BronsonTheBulldog Member

Name:
    Gareth
    Old likes this.
    I don't know how true this is, and i never wnat to try it?! But apparently a finger startegically inserted in the back end of the offending dog works!!! :103:
  15. Mik

Mik New Member

Name:
    Mikayla
    I know how you feel, I sadly stopped taking my dog to our local dog park after a very irresponsible dog owner brought in their aggressive rottweiler. This guy brought in this rottweiler he had 4 different leashes and several harnesses on this dog. And the dog was going after every single dog in the dog park. The only time I have ever heard my dog growl at another dog was this dog. And because of one owner bringing in a terribly viscous dog, I no longer bring my dog to the dog park which makes me feel terrible, because he really loves it. But better safe than sorry in my opinion. Some people just shouldn't own dog(s). It's one thing to train a dog to be a guard dog, but have common sense and keep that dog home, and if you have an aggressive dog in general than it's your responsibility to hire a trainer and train that out of them. Very rarley is a dog not trainable to become nonaggressive, it does happen with certain dogs, but most can be trained.