Staff puppy Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Heavyweightfather, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Heavyweightfather

Heavyweightfather New Member

Name:
    Gav

Staff puppy

hi

Can anyone help me at what week would be the best to have pick of the litter ? I’m presuming If I were to pick the puppy at only 2-4 weeks old that the puppy wouldn’t be properly formed ?

Thanks
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    A 2-3 week old puppy will not look anything to how it will look as an adult dog and I do not think the "pick of the litter" can be determined at such a young age.

This is a three-week old puppy

[​IMG]
    As an adult [~two-years]

[​IMG]

As an adult [~three-years]

[​IMG]
    This is how a three-week old puppy changes as it becomes an adult. The same puppy taken on the same camera.
  4. Heavyweightfather

Heavyweightfather New Member

Name:
    Gav
    Hi

That’s exactly what I thought. So what’s the best week to have pick of the litter ?

Thanks
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Around 8 weeks
    I would visit the puppies frequently once the breeder agrees, if you are looking for a pet you should look for the puppy whose temperament is in the middle, not too aggressive and not too timid or shy,
    A good breeder should be able to guide you as which ones would suit you.
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I agree with @GsdSlave as puppies change so much and do not develop much of a personality and individuality before then. Younger than that one puppy might seem to be more aggressive/bold/ or timid/shy even from birth, but they change day by day.

I chose the puppy shown above from a litter of eight virtually identical pups, four males and four females, as I wanted a bitch and she had a tiny white mark on her chin, as did my previous two, the first under her chin and the second at the side of her nose.

Apart from that none of them showed any individuality either in looks or behaviour.