Breeding Questions

Discussion in 'Akita' started by Jessica Snyder, May 22, 2020.

1. Jessica Snyder

Jessica Snyder New Member

Name:
    snydja

Breeding

I have a beautiful, AKC registered, 8 month old male Akita that I am considering breeding when he is 12-15 months old. What resources can I use to find a breeder in need of a male?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    It is not usual for a male to be seeking a female to mate with, and at 8 months old he is hardly old enough to assess his potential. A breeder would usually be looking for a male who has had all the health tests for the breed, and who has had a good record in the shows. Your AKC breed club should be able to help you with the details of health tests, but x-ray scoring of hips is not permitted before 18 months - at least they are not in the UK.

Because of the COVID situation dog showing is likely to be curtailed at present, but I would suggest that, when possible, you attend some shows and talk to the breeders there. This will give you a grounding in the breed, and give you the chance to judge whether your Akita has a future in the breed.

Have a look at your breed on the AKC site, and the Breed Club pages on the web. You will find that there is a lot of good information on there.
  4. Jessica Snyder

Jessica Snyder New Member

Name:
    snydja
    Thank you! This is very helpful!
  5. ReichertCaleb

ReichertCaleb New Member

Name:
    ReichertCaleb
    In the wild, wild dogs mate and breed very smoothly. However, this happened a bit messy. Therefore, once raised and looked after the dog carefully, it is impossible to leave the male dog together in the common space. This will lead to a certain cycle can conceive.