Queensland cattle dogs General Chat

Discussion in 'Australian Cattle Dog' started by Queensland blue, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    sangtaoso20 likes this.

Queensland cattle dogs

692ED277-A5A0-4466-B9AF-2FC71A36C67F.jpeg 2C175042-9D32-4EFE-8FA3-6C7CE7EAE033.jpeg AF8B315D-CEC6-4250-A1C1-076DE45417ED.jpeg 85EC5C97-CF4E-46FB-8349-E33FA66AC01B.jpeg Hi everyone , my name is Simon .
    I am in north Queensland Australia ,
    I see lots of cattle dogs often and will try to update photos so everyone can see what we have up here :)

I met a guy today who shared an old magazine article on stumpy tail cattle dogs from back in 1995 .
    I took some photos of it .

Attached Files:

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Welcome to the forum Simon. We are a bit sleepy on here, but it's good that you have somewhere to share breed historic information, and you will be able to refer others to it.
    Excellent photos BTW, I have discovered that keeping the text readable when you photograph small-print documents is not easy. (Or maybe that is age-related in my case).
  5. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    Thanks Carole ,

yes it is a bit difficult to read , historic information on the breed is fairly scarce and contradictory as to the origin.

there’s a couple dates and names there for the breed which can help.

as for it being difficult to read, I understand and yes , I can zoom in and out on the phone which is helpful.
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Yes, your photos zoom quite well. You must have a decent phone!
  7. Rick McC.

Rick McC. New Member

Name:
    Rick
    Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the info, Sir!
  8. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    CaroleC likes this.
  9. sangtaoso20

sangtaoso20 New Member

Name:
    dognamesbest.com
    I also love this breed very much
  10. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
  11. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    A couple stumpy tail cattle dog vids .
  12. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    CaroleC likes this.

Some stumpy cattle dogs at a show also .
  13. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    Here is https://trueblueworkingstumpys.home.blog/dog-profiles/

they’ve got a F-book page too , Although that’s not my thing .

shows what everyone knows here pretty much .
    Not all stumpys are the show kind .

Weights for example are just one thing among numerous other .
    Where the standard is not standard.
  14. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    I don’t know what their dogs are like as I don’t know so can’t say , I linked it for
    The way some dogs look only.
  15. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    5A253570-FEA7-4E0B-A410-8CE0FB509E99.jpeg I found this book in a second hand shop . first published 1989 .

Don Burke : Burke’s backyard (also the name of an Australian television program ) starring Don Burke .

In has listed in the dog breed section , the Australian stumpy tail cattle dog .
    which contains a bit of information I had not see before as it should not be lost and it’s a bit of a time capsule ,a snapshot of the understanding at the time , I’ll summarize a couple points here for interest .

Remember the information is relevant for the time of its writing 1989 . Some of it may have changed .

- stumpy tail cattle dogs are the worlds rarest breed of dog .
    there is only 1 registered breeder of the dogs in the world (at the time).
    (Iris and Les Heale.
    37 park rd
    Woolowin qld 4030. )

‘since the Burke’s backyard program was screened , a number breeders have begun breeding programs of STCD ‘s and eventual registration by kennel clubs is likely .

‘ the breeds origins go back to the early 1800’s when two Australians , Smithfield and Hall , saw bob tailed dogs working cattle in the United Kingdom and brought back 2 bitches . ‘ where the dogs were crossed with the dingo and various other breeds .

while there may be many unregistered stumpy tail cattle dogs around , unless they came from Mrs Iris Heale of Brisbane Queensland , they are not a true , registered stumpy tail cattle dog .

( this later did change as a registration program was developed to save the breed , dogs were categorized as either a,b or c classed dogs and subsequently bred to refine the dog breed back into their current state ).

Another notable point here is the name “Smithfield “ being reported as one of the men who travelled and brought back dogs to Australia .

As we have what are called Smithfield cattle dogs in Australia also .

cant be sure of the reliability of this knowledge (Don Burke) , yet it is good to re report the history of such things so they are not lost in time .
  16. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    GsdSlave likes this.
    That pic above made the dogs head look small , here’s a better view .
    Don’t know why the edit window on this site is so short . A day would be a good amount of time .

8E40A174-01C3-48A5-813C-47D37C38F5F0.png
  17. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hi! With a longer edit window somebody could post something - ten minutes later another person could contradict them or say they found the post offensive, and if the edit window was longer the original post could be edited to say something completely different. In other words "I did not say that and you cannot prove I said it" because they have edited and/or deleted what they originally said.

I post on a series of boards elsewhere, where comments can be edited up to a week after they are made. Believe me, it can, and frequently does, cause all sorts of upsets when a person denies having said something because they have had a week to change what they said, and/or delete the post.

This way, a short edit window is fair for all those who saw the initial post.
  18. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    That's why if I'm gonna question someone's post, I always quote it. Then there's a non-editable record of it.
  19. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Definitely - if you see the post before it can be edited, that's the best thing to do.