Big game indicating dogs General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Queensland blue, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S

Big game indicating dogs

For a long long time humans have teamed up with dogs to hunt.

I like this method of hunting with a rifle , and a dog that stalks in quietly , leading the human to the animal.

indicating along the way.

Once again , showing how amazing dogs can be working, and not risking injury or death by rushing in on things like wild boar (which can easily kill dogs) etc.

I hope this link works , it is in New Zealand the video, where wild pigs are an introduced animal that is not native and destroys Kills and eats native flora and fauna.
    As they also do here in Australia.

if you don’t like hunting don’t watch , however watching the team work and the dogs actions is impressive ,our noble friends.

not sure if these topics are ok here, if not the moderators can remove , or put the thread in a different place.

I’m sure a lot of people are not interested in hunting , however it’s part of working dogs jobs also.
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Must admit that I didn't watch the whole video, so I may have missed some points, but why does the dog wear a highvis jacket for hunting? Doesn't this make him too conspicuous?
    I think the dog looks like a Huntaway. I really like this breed - I have seen some brilliant videos of them working sheep over huge mountainous areas. They are good-looking dogs and never seem to tire.
  4. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    CaroleC likes this.
    Yes I thought it may be a huntaway also.

from what I’ve seen a lot of shooters wear hi vis over there .
    I thought it may be for the dogs safety and the shooters visibility.

It also gets cold there .

I think if it was more open country they would be more easily seen, with their stalking I would say less so.
    Pigs have poor eyesight , however they make up for it quite a lot with their other senses like their nose .

ive seen them smell us from hundreds of meters away , and they trust it when they smell humans and dogs , and bolt immediately.

the way the dog sniffs , and turns to look at the guy as to say this way , or it’s close etc .i thought was great.

my dog and I communicate like this too.
    She tells me when there are snakes etc ,
    And goes ahead of me on trails.
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Haifa in the north of Israel is over-run with wild boar and it was extremely difficult during the initial lockdown when garbage bins were not emptied regularly, as they just knock the wheelie bins over and spread garbage all over the place. It is illegal to kill wild animals here though.
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Of course, the dog's safety must be the reason.
    Any hunters in the same area, and wearing camo, had better look out then!
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Sorry - you will have to watch on YouTube.
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    This is another one.

9. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    Wow , I watched the video ,

the pigs there look different to the ones here .

there is according to an abc segment I watched , more wild pigs than people in Australia Now.

We also used to have them come in the yard and dig and eat fallen fruit , however that was living near a rainforest and not in town.

they would also get into the rubbish , and my cattle dog who was only young then gave one a bite on the heal (as she is bred to) to get it out of the yard one night.

if they were not hunted the numbers would easily increase .

they can get huge here , some boars well over 150 kilograms ,

I see at the end of the video it said people don’t eat them .

not many people eat them here from the wild , although they can be.
    Also have to be careful of quite a few diseases they carry ,
    That includes for dogs .

I see they found swine flu in was it Austria ? Recently .
  10. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S

Here is that abc clip meet the ferals.

some pig hunting with dogs , don’t watch if your squeamish.

It is one of the methods used , the entire video is not hunting , it shows the environmental impacts etc.
  11. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    They look friendly :)
  12. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    Actually I’m curious if they can break the plastic bins by biting if they’re chained to a post or the like.
    I know those bins are tough , I think a determined pig would mince one though
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Jews and Muslims do not eat pork and these are wild boar and not the sort of pig meat that would be eaten.
    Oh yes, even if the bins were chained, which they could not be as the bin men need to move them to the trucks, the boars would just knock bash into them and the plastic would just break.

I did not have my speakers switched on so I could not hear what she actually said, only read the sub-titles, but the blond woman in the first video clip who said she threw food to them was very wrong. It is not only forbidden to feed the wild boars in Haifa but we have even been told not to feed the feral cats any more.
  14. Andrew Sheldon

Andrew Sheldon Member

Name:
    Andrew
    They hunt the wild boar round our neck of the woods in SW France. There is a hunting lodge just down the lane where they all meet up. There is probably around 30 hunters all together each with a hound type hunting dog. The poor things are kept in pens all year round and only seem to come out for the hunts.. They sport high vis collars with tracking devices with long sticky out Aerials built in and are left to just run around like mad things trying and get on a boars scent. The tracking devices are to locate the hounds the likes of which frequently run off into the distance and don't go home or back to the owner...
    When they do flush out a boar the hunters, who are spread out around the woods, pick emm off.. I asked Serge our neighbour, and very well respected farmer how many they shot one year and he said over 80 in one season.... And yes they do eat the meat and I have had it on more than one occasion and it is very nice, its a dark meat unlike pork and has a kind of beefy flavour and texture...
    Tootsy for sure has this mad approach to hunting, she has flushed out quite a few boar, when she does she chases after them and kind of shrieks with excitement. When she first did the noise I thought she was hurt badly, friends have heard it too and have been really concerned however she always comes back very tired but ok...
    There is a dog rescue centre near to where I live in a town called Figeac, Sadly it is full of these ex hunting dogs that obviously didn't make the grade with the hunters.
    Our friend rescued one, it was a kind of cross Griffon, quite a big strong boy that just wanted to run off and hunt. Sadly for him the owner couldn't cope with the idea of him running off so he spends all his life walking on a lead... Tootsy, especially when she was a younger would disappear off for 10-15 minutes at a time chasing a scent. It was very anxious times for me but I knew it was either that or her having to be constantly on a lead. These types of hunting dogs just DONT listen and are very head strong. Having said that Toots is a very cleaver dog and understands many commands and on the whole is incredibly obedient, but once she is out in the woods that's her time and she will not listen...
    Really admire the skill of the dog in the YouTube vid, tis man and dog working at its very best. Its always sad to see the poor animal dead however this has been going on for centuries and like my area, will never stop...
  15. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    speaking of Haifa ..........

saw this , and liked it.
    Musical interlude .
  16. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    here in Australia when they hunt them with dogs , It sounds like they do it differently where you live.

it is very very common here in North Queensland and they use a lot of different cross breeds ,
    Or proven cross breeds mainly.

which is how dogs like bull Arabs , Queensland bull hounds etc came into existence by necessity and function.

many crosses are also used

here is the boardogs website classifieds for hunting dogs .

http://www.boardogs.com/Boardogs_Classifieds.htm
    If your interested , the site also has breed information there.

I am not a hunter of pigs with dogs in the style they hunt , bailers , and holders.

thats why I liked seeing the indicating dog stalking in the original post .

I love my dogs too much to want to see them killed by a boar, and I don’t hunt for sport either .

only my interest in survival and working dogs was peaked by it.
  17. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    It was the first time today I have personally heard anyone talk about using a cattle dog as an indicating style dog similar to the video.

a guy stopped to ask about my dogs , asking if they were ‘smithfields’.

he said he had a Smithfield cattle dog in “torres straight” northern Australia.

he said it would point out where the deer were and stalk them , pigs too.

he said it could grab them if he told it to also, however he said it was better hunting that indicating way because the other dogs that would run in would get ripped up and hurt.

I was really happy to meet someone who uses a cattle dog for exactly the type of thing I’m interested in and to know it’s been done.

I have been getting the pup familiar with the kind of commands needed and hand signals , so we can stalk quietly together.

sit , down , heel , stay

then without the words he can recognize the appropriate hand signal to each command at the right moment.