Cattle dog antics Working Dogs

Discussion in 'Australian Cattle Dog' started by Queensland blue, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    I hope they are paying him well!!!!

Reminds me of the first time I flew to Ottawa Canada. I got off the plane and was waiting for customs. A drug sniffing beagle came along and checked me out, continued to the next person, turned back around and sniffed one spot on my knee, then continued on. I said to the dog "I know cat butt is worth a second sniff". The handler got a bit miffed and said the dog was NOT smelling cat. I apologized. But the beagle and I knew the truth. The spot he smelled on my knee was the exact spot my cat's butt had been before I left for the airport the morning before. :)

There was a story about a border collie who couldn't keep a home. Someone saw through her "issues" and gave her a job herding ducks and geese at a golf course.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    Six year old male cattle dog we saw today .
    He came from a litter of pups with stumpy tails however he has a full tail himself .
    He is a very friendly boy , who was also curious as I had dog bones from the butchers in my hand.
    567A2A0A-A118-426B-9FA6-2A02E0D37ACD.png
  4. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
  5. CapitanJackSparrow

CapitanJackSparrow New Member

Name:
    E
  6. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    Lot of love in those eyes , can tell he has got a good home
  7. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    BEA25527-58E4-47B1-A08F-C330948F0683.png

A 6 month old Smithfield cattle dog male pup , with 2 Australian stumpy tail cattle dog females .

the pup has some filling out to do , the owner wants to breed him with the female with the black eye patches .

hard to photograph ! Took a bunch of photos and most of them were a blurry flash running by .
  8. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    CaroleC likes this.
    1FD42B4B-8898-4521-A33D-3945CBAA1D2C.png

don’t reckon you’d want to jump this fence or put your hand in . It’s hectic .
  9. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    EA58BB5E-76B9-42ED-AC2A-7187654F6C3D.jpeg Quote :
    “ The distance vision of a cattle dog is so acute that it can see the signal of the drover from a kilometer away “.

From the book “The dog whisperer ; the essential guide to understanding and raising a happy dog “,

Written by John Richardson and Leslye Sharon Cole .

Pic above is one of the many beautiful illustrations in the book by Leslye Sharon Cole . Of an australian cattle dog .

Note: (A drover is a working stockman or stockwoman in Australia who moves a herd / mob , traditionally sometimes over very long distances .)
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
  10. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    CaroleC likes this.
    I tell people often ..... if single women , families and old people etc . had a good cattle dog , then a lot of the crimes you hear about would not happen . The dogs will protect their people and property .

My Vet came around today to give my pup his vaccination and chip.

She told me about how her older parents had just been broken into .
    Though the burglar came across their cattle dog (or the cattle dog came across the burglar ) which saved them from any thing being stolen. The robber had to swiftly leave !

The robber/s then stole somebody else’s car up the road from them .

So it is more confirmation and validation of my advice .

If more vulnerable people have a good cattle dog , then a lot of these crimes will not happen !
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Tweed taught Eddie Beagle to be a good guard, and could have a nip in him. Merry Beagle was a good as an alarm, but she wouldn't have bitten anyone. My current Beagle,Tally, is everyone's friend. Burglers prepare to be licked to death!
  12. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    CaroleC likes this.
    A lot of the time a barking dog sounding the alarm will do fine .

There was another good news story on tv where a bullmastiff stopped a robbery at a business this week. He was a yard , guard dog so I am glad to see dogs filling their rightful roles.

Right now I have a cattle dog who barks at anything that shows up and lets me know, if need be I can poke intruders with a pointy stick .

plus we have an almost 4 1/2 month old bull arab cross hunting dog that weighed in at 28 kg today .

Think he is going to be huge considering , so the cattle dog can tell him who to bite , he can be her body guard ,

he will get trained to grab a sleeve too.

right now if he sees strangers around and looks too friendly , I tell the cattle dog to bark at them so he does not then want to approach them .

its a balancing act , socialization , the who and when .
  13. Ice3

Ice3 New Member

Name:
    Ice3
    Just curious what is considered a Smithfield Cattle Dog?
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2023
  14. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Toedtoes likes this.
    From memory I think they are large non pedigree droving dogs that were used for bringing cattle from farms to the cities for sale or slaughter.
  15. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
  16. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC likes this.
    My little Yorkiepoo is an excellent burglar alarm in that he will let us know if anyone is near the property, but, alas, at less than 7 lbs he is unlikely to deter a burglar :)
  17. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Helidale likes this.
    Dogs barking are like car alarms. They go off so often for no reason that no one pays any attention to them anymore. And if no one is going to bother checking to see why the dog is barking, then the thieves have no reason to see the barking dog as a deterrent.
  18. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    My dogs barks are a deterrent. More so if they’re outside, because Bandit stands up on the fence while barking
  19. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    When mine barks, he runs to the source of the bark and if no one is paying attention, he runs between the source and whichever one of us is nearest until we acknowledge him.

It's easy to distinguish and alarm bark from the rest of his 'talking'
  20. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Helidale likes this.
    Ah, but you pay attention to him in the first place to know that difference.

So many people have no idea of the difference between "there's something here that shouldn't be" and "I'm bored" barks.

I will be in my house and hear all the neighbor dogs barking "intruder! Intruder!" and I'm the only person who actually looks to see what they are barking at.
  21. Helidale

Helidale Member

Name:
    Carole
    That sounds like my neighbours JRT's. Defending the neighbourhood from every vehicle that dares to stop in our road.
    The only time Tally barks is when a friend arrives - the whoohoo of joy!
    Not much of a guard dog I'm afraid.