Cesar Milan vid on how to choose a dog General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Queensland blue, May 10, 2021.

1. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    If you get a chance, there was a tv show on Discovery called It Takes a Thief. It was 2 ex-burglars who show homeowners how their homes and stuff are not secure by breaking in and burglarizing the house. The family watches the "burglary" in progress on cctv. Afterwards, they clean up the mess, return the stolen stuff and update the house with proper security.

2005 - season 1 episode 10 - Like Mother, Like Daughter. Watch it. You'll see two good guard dogs in action...
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    I like getting feedback about how the dogs behave when I’m not there , although we’re always together unless I have to stop in anywhere for some reason .

When people say , they are very loyal and they just stared where you went in , waiting looking to see where you were .
    I like that report back .

the pup is still friendly , the older dog has given up talking to too many other unknown people now . So she can just look at them too.

she used to stand between my legs and growl at strangers as a pup sometimes ,
    I have convinced her to be less suspicious , and the pup feels secure with us so he is happy go lucky mostly .
  4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Dogs know we are not dogs, so it is silly for us to pretend like we are one of them by being their ‘pack leader, when a dog misbehaves it does not mean its trying to be ‘top dog’, It’s much easier to say that a dog is ‘dominant or alpha’ than to take the time to figure out the dog’s individuality and its relationship with those around it.

I think it’s very naive of people who get German shepherds or other similar breeds because they want a dog to protect them,it takes a very special dog to be appropriate as a personal protection dog. Not only does the dog realistically need a professional amount of training, but they also need a very specific solid temperament, also be able to distinguish between threat and safety, and the nerve to not back down when attacked back. Most dogs simply are not capable of that. I would bet 99% of dogs do not have what it takes, and most will pick flight over fight if it came down to it.

I’ve never taken for granted that any of my dogs would protect me, and I don't honestly know if they would, thankfully iv'e never had to put them to the test I am of the mindset that they act as a deterrent rather than something to actually protect me.
  5. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    I’m not sure I’ve ever seen an Akita , I imagine they would be pretty intimidating with their size and temperament.

also 2 dogs together can feed off each other’s energy and confidence sometimes .

I once saw a half Akita down south where it’s a bit cooler , I have to wonder what the owners are thinking when I see dogs that look like cold weather breeds in the tropics though .

it gets really hot up here even for short haired breeds .
  6. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    I wouldn’t take it for granted either .

One thing I will say about a big male cattle dog or even a female on open ground I would not like to deal with, is he is made to deal with massive aggressive intimidating beasts And keep his nerve and make them back up sometimes all day .
    He is fast and he will sneak around and bite too , so he doesn’t have to hold for a long time although can grab hard .

so his method and speed means he knows his job , and if you got a serious farmers dog and you’re somewhere you shouldn’t be , good luck getting to safety .

these dogs take a kick off a cow and get straight back to work sometimes .
    Bloody tough some farm dogs .

I doubt a human would be fast enough to even fight that , and good luck getting to safety while your being herded lol
  7. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    I always found most male akitas to be pretty goofy in temperament. Their size is usually intimidating, but their personality is more giant teddy bear. Females seem to be far more "scary" in attitude.
  8. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Again, the difference is that the cattle dog is behaving per their instincts versus being specifically trained to attack people.

And the protection role is secondary to their working purpose of herding cattle.

This is a breed that can easily be ruined by people who bring the dog into the cities and use their inbred instinct as a basis to train it to attack on command.
  9. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    Toedtoes likes this.
    I agree mate , in general city folks should stay away from cattle dogs altogether .

there may be exceptions however , that should pretty much be the rule .
  10. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Toedtoes likes this.
    I agree my two male Akitas, rarely barked (they tended to leave that bit to the Gsd’s :lol:)
  11. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    I remember bringing my shep/lab and my foster husky/shep to visit my parents. My dad was out and my mom and I were visiting in the family room. I sent my dogs with my dad's male akita out in the backyard. I could see them from my seat through the large picture window.

After running around for a bit, the dogs came up to the window. You could see all three heads. Dog (mine) was on the left, the akita in the middle, and the foster on the right. Three in a row. Then, the foster grabbed at the akita's cheek in play. He turned to her. At that moment, Dog grabbed at his other cheek. He turned to her. The foster grabbed at him again. He turned to her. Back and forth they did this. After several minutes, he had a look of pure shock and confusion on his face. The girls were grinning ear to ear.

I alway felt that explained their personalities to a tee:

Husky/shep - smart, loves to tease and outwit everyone, pure happiness in creating havoc

Shep/lab - always in for the game

Akita - duh, which way did 'e go? Which way did 'e go?
  12. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    My dogs have always chosen me. :)
  13. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    CaroleC likes this.
    My first two dogs I got in front of a grocery store. A young girl had them in a cardboard box. It was an impulse thing, I’d always had cats before that. My first Akita was one my brother said I could have out of his dogs litter. I was socializing one for a friend of mine and told my brother I wanted it. He said no, that’s Brett’s puppy, but you can have this one, who I named Darkstar, Hoshi in Japanese. When I had to put him down I couldn’t find an Akita litter locally and I didn’t want to wait, so I found Bandit online. He flew 1800 miles to get here. Same with his half sister. All 5 dogs have been great, each one different, and each one a blessing in my life. I will say I prefer having two, I think it’s good for them, and also less pressure on me to be a constant playmate. I feel better going to work with them having company.
  14. dhenz

dhenz New Member

Name:
    Dhenz
    https://shrinke.me/S2ewlD
    I agree . Can you help me ? Is this YT video is true? I’m trying to get a puppy husky and I watch it and I’m so worried. Please help and have time please
  15. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    That is not a YouTube link. I do not know what it is but the ESET anti-virus program on my computer would not open it.
  16. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Sounds like spam. Did you report the post?
  17. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Not this first time but I did when I saw that he had posted it again on the Bishon Frise thread.