Mrd (eyes) bva General Chat

Discussion in 'English Springer Spaniel' started by Kaylie, Oct 17, 2021.

1. Kaylie

Kaylie New Member

Name:
    Kj

Mrd (eyes) bva

Hi I own a kc registered springer spaniel dog who is now 3 years old, his parents were both health tested and have had eye tests each year and he is classed as hereditary clear, I have recently had his eyes tested and in the vets opinion he has very miner mrd that he says isn’t effecting him and won’t in the future but from what I have read and been told by his breeder and another breeder that he can’t possibly have it due to it’s inherited and neither parent has it and neither does his full sibling from the same litter ? I have used him once on my bitch and I have his pup and others have used him prior to this latest eye test and all the pups have been healthy with no sight problems, vet said I can appeal and get a second opinion, just wondered if this has happened to any one else ? As my dog will go down as mrd effected if I don’t go for a second opinion but if they say he still has it how is this possible going by his clear parentage ? I’ve read sometimes viruses or chemicals can cause it but nothing like this has happened since I’ve had him from 10 weeks old and his sibling is clear ?
    Many thanks
    Kaylie
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I am sorry that your boy has failed part of his BVA/KC eye examination. It is very hard to see how these conditions can develop when you are breeding from clear bloodlines.
    I can't really help as I have no personal experience with retinal dysplasia, but could it be that some examiners might miss a minor ripple? You do say that your boy is only very slightly affected. It is frustrating when you try hard to get everything right, and so many don't even bother testing.
    I think a second opinion will turn out to be your only option, but I would put your query to your Breed Health Co-ordinator, (and possibly write to the BVA/KC board too). Do you have any geneticists in your breed - or in a different breed that suffers from the same problem?
  4. Kaylie

Kaylie New Member

Name:
    Kj
    Thanks for your reply, I’ve contacted his breeder too and she is also confused by it, from what she has said and what I have checked on both lines of his mum and dad they are all clear and his dad has had 8 clear tests and his mum has had four, his sibling has had two clear tests too. The main thing is my boy will not have any sight issues and is healthy and happy but frustrating that the vet thinks he has slight mrd, I said to him his mum and dad are clear and all he said was Im within my rights to have a second opinion, my boy also had hip and elbow scores done and all is very good so I’ve tried to do the right things but this mrd is meant to be inherited so all rather strange, I have asked bva for a second opinion and I will be showing them all of his bloodline to show at least his parents and grandparents are clear
    Thank you