ABC series . MUSTER DOGS (kelpies) General Chat

Discussion in 'Australian Kelpie' started by Queensland blue, Jan 9, 2022.

1. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    Helidale likes this.

ABC series . MUSTER DOGS (kelpies)

https://iview.abc.net.au/show/muster-dogs

Coming series following kelpie pups on ABC IVIEW.

so can be watched by folks overseas .

“Five graziers from across Australia are given five kelpie pups from the same litter and set with the challenge of transforming these uniquely Australian dogs into champion muster dogs.”
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
  4. Helidale

Helidale Member

Name:
    Carole
    Sounds interesting for Kelpie owners/trainers.
  5. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    If that were a tv show here in the states, I would be very concerned for the welfare of the pups - as fame and ratings tend to drive participants and crew to do some horrid things.

Is that a concern?
  6. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    No! Lol

I am struggling to understand what you mean actually toedtoes , i do understand that some crazy stuff goes on in tv land over there .

we don’t go crazy over people on tv like they do over here , don’t treat politicians like celebrity cult like figures or any of that nonsense .

these people are actual station farmers , who have their own kelpies , and would train them anyway .

If anything their glory would be for “bragging rights” . Sure Australians may like a bit of a competition, some may even have dogs enter working dog trial competitions , they will be proper hard working dogs , no part time casuals .
    though the whole vibe is of down to earth busy people on the land .

Thats pretty much all you will get in the kelpie people crowd over here .

They are a dedicated genuine working dog that really needs a farm anyway .
    At least a big bit of land and a busy owner . That is no joke !

Never really heard of the show dog crowd getting hold of them or any of that stuff .

one of the things one of the lady farmers said on the television advert is . i am paraphrasing from memory .

“ they ‘The dogs’ make you have to check your attitude at the door , if you don’t love them and treat them right , they just wont work for you , its that simple.”

If you were to push one too hard too early , you could blow the whole thing and could be dangerous for the pup though.
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
  7. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    I just meant that over here, I could see mistreatment of a puppy by a participant in an attempt to "out perform" another, or the producers, director, etc, pushing for such behaviors. Our tv tends to sensationalism and creating controversy to increase ratings, rather than let an informational show just be that.
  8. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    G
    Ok thanks , and for your concern

there is one thing i did wonder about however , not sure how it would be for a litter of pups acclimatizing to hotter weather in the north of the country say if the pup came from the colder south .
    Not knowing where they are born, the middle and even south can get really hot too .

These dogs are phenomenal though , maybe my concern about that is not needed .

a short article also . https://help.abc.net.au/hc/en-us/ar...uster-Dogs-in-January-on-ABC-TV-and-ABC-iview
  9. Helidale

Helidale Member

Name:
    Carole
    S has posted videos of some stunning work by these Station dogs. They appear to know exactly what is wanted, and where to move the stock to, with the minimum of instruction. No whistling or shouting, I swear that they train them to read minds!
  10. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    CaroleC likes this.
    Well Just watched the first episode of muster dogs on ABC here in Australia.

My god what beautiful dogs they are and what a joy that was to watch !

had me smiling and laughing seeing 3 month old pups backing up a cow that wanted to push its luck , and a tiny pup starting to round up sheep as it instinctively was born to do.
    The adult dogs working also was great plus the information on training .

Can’t tell you enough how handsome and aesthetically perfect they are . Wow great television !

Don’t forget if people overseas want to watch , it is on iview ABC .

they have a book called muster dogs also now .

really looking forward to next weekends episode here !
  11. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    Ok just had a look at ABC iview Australia .As i have never used iview.

its a free service apparently for anyone in the world , and there is an app you can get .

so it will only use a bit of your data to watch .
  12. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    Watched the 4 month challenge episode of ‘muster dogs ABC ’ rerun today on tv , as i missed some of the start of it on sunday .

the series is jumping to the 6 months challenge next sunday .

The pups in northern territory are kept in a snake proof cage to protect them up there .

There are the poisonous kind of snakes , then there are the kind that could just eat them whole , the pythons .

plus while one guy was talking on camera , a snake slithered behind him quickly . Which they stopped and did a slow motion of .

Can see which trainers personalities get better results , and where one older calm guy out Clermont in queensland wisdom makes for a better calmer sensible way .

Good seeing the pup growth sizes at the different ages too for a gauge .

well its moving pretty fast at this rate . Obviously they are well ahead in the filming .
  13. Helidale

Helidale Member

Name:
    Carole
    I have seen comments from a couple of the Aussie Beagle folk recommending this Muster Dogs programme. If it gets onto YouTube I will try watching an episode or two.
  14. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    CaroleC likes this.
    There is some bits and pieces on the abc and iview youtube channel so far . :) here are the pups .
  15. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
  16. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
  17. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
  18. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
  19. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    I love how much you love this breed of dog!!!
  20. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    I do I do , its true its true , I am singing their praises .

was thinking about asking people here what the most handsome dog on earth is .

I have never had a pure kelpie myself .
    They have my vote !
    they get the smartest dog and the most handsome vote !

they are ridiculous , they are the adonis of the dog world .
    The noble dog on the tucker box , an icon .

carved perfectly by the big fella upstairs .

proportionally correct , balance and speed , endurance and awareness , not the type of aesthetics that lacks function .

The type that excels and is appreciated by those who notice function and form !

a magnificent beast , yes yes I do ,
    Though I do not need one due to their exceptional exuberance ,

I appreciate them .

Even the wild boar hunters here , take advantage of their smarts and their ability to find the prey the big hunting dogs often lack , giving them employment !

songs have been written , of their greatness in this country ,

a border collie may be the best precision in smaller pen ,

though in wide open lands on massive stations ,

The kelpie has no equal!
  21. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I enjoy watching your suggested short videos. The first of today's - Annie - popped up A Tale of Two Tails when it finished. It looked interesting, so I'm half way through that one now. Had to leave it parked up or I'll get nothing done today. I love breed history, just about any breed.