Travelling with my dog ? Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by ryan&zeus, Aug 21, 2022.

1. ryan&zeus

ryan&zeus New Member

Name:
    Zeus

Travelling with my dog ?

Hi everyone

I have a 12 week old bichon frise, it’s settled in really well & behaving great. However Iv got him a travel cage which he doesn’t like when in the car. Any suggestions to ease him in to the car a little better ?

Thanks Ryan
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    CaroleC and ryan&zeus like this.
    First, make the car itself something fun. Have a special toy or treats that ONLY come out when he's in the car. Just sit in the car, without going anywhere, and play with him, gives him lots of attention, etc.

Then, build up going to positive places or even just for a ride with no stop. When you get out of the car, praise him and give him lots of attention - that will help him identify cars with good things.

Do the same with the carrier - make just being in it a fun thing.

Also, puppies and younger dogs can get car sick easily. So go slow over bumps, around corners, etc.
  4. ryan&zeus

ryan&zeus New Member

Name:
    Zeus
  5. ryan&zeus

ryan&zeus New Member

Name:
    Zeus
    Thankyou ! I gave him one of them stuffed kong toys the other day and I found that a little better.

il be sure to do that with the carrier also.

thanks again,
    Ryan
  6. April Andy

April Andy New Member

Name:
    April
    Hi,

Try to give him treats or toys just to have some activities and it's also stress free

Don't forget water as well.
  7. Salena-Roy

Salena-Roy New Member

Name:
    Salena
    You can make it cozy with a blanket or a favorite toy. And start with short rides, so it's not overwhelming. Treats and praise can make it a positive experience. Gradually increase the time spent in the car. Associating car trips with good things will help your pup feel more comfortable over time.
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Sometimes covering the crate with a towel can help it to feel safe - more like a den. If your dog drools in the car, put a towel under him too. This will keep him comfortable and dry.