Do we know what we own? Discussions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Hayley SBT, Sep 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    Just to put a few things straight..

As for my two girls, it wasnt at the time about dog to dog aggression it was 'spat' between two dogs over something extremely stupid which possibly some of you can relate to if for one second had I thought my AB was dog to dog aggressive I would not have gone on to home other dogs, it was a spat that caused a freakish injury within a few split seconds to another of my dogs ulitmatly one that cost her, her life. Yes our vet did try to save her, even though we were told she would quite possibly pass away. I deal with that everyday, day in day out every day of the week and for every year that passes that my dog lost her life.

As for my Bulldog you dont half like to make assumptions, I am not walking away from what he did to my little girl, I live with that incident also everyday, he's not a danger to kids walking in the street as you put it, as his past owner and the behaviourist that dealt with him (who is well known within the Bulldog fraternity) are only qualified to make that assumption, it was my choice only after those issues had been dealt with to re-home my dog and not to make the choice of putting him to sleep, and he was re-homed responsibly on a contract to people that love him and could continue dealing with the issues he had - and I say HAD as in a past tense because he is now in a home where he's continued to thrive and has not bitten anyone since then or displayed aggression towards anyone young.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    ill still cant agree that you didnt put that dog to sleep you never know if he will bite again nad thats a risk you should not take nicci

what i cant understand is why you trust moki around your other dogs, do you leave her in a room alone with them?
  4. Luke

Luke New Member

God this has gotten silly-resulting in name calling, one would seem to get the impression that one has resorted to name calling and dragging messy things from the past up as an act of retaliation as they so obviouslly can't back up what they are saying, nor can give a valid reason for the views they hold.
    Hayley-may i ask how and where you obtained your 'staffords' from?:)
  5. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    Yes, as explained above READ the post proporly!
  6. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    Luke no you may not ask, quinns breeding is private and kept that way
    sorry about that
    Nicci do you really believe dogs have spats and they are not dog agressive? i mean you tired to break them apart and you could not, suggests to me that moki has dog agression issues
  7. Luke

Luke New Member

Seems very odd that you refuse to divulge such information? Don't think anyone else on board who knows the breeding/history of their dogs would act quite as 'cagey' as this?
    Not saying there is anything to hide of course...
  8. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci

As much as it may sound messy Luke, it's not (well it is and it was and a heartbreaking one at the time and to and still is) but if someone can learn a valuable lesson from what my family had to experience when looking into keeping such breeds and it makes them think twice about doing so, then speaking about it openly to others about what happened could quite possibly save them from such heartbreak in the future.
  9. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    Luke the breeders aksed for it to be private, as i respect the breeders then i shall do so, not everyone has to give a full account on its breeding!
  10. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    who has called anyone names?
  11. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    Erm well Hayley were you there at the time? Do you know what happened?

I would like for you to let my girl rest in peace now. And let me think of the good times I had with her.
  12. Luke

Luke New Member

Fair enough.
    What about Bessie N Borris?
  13. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Please remember this is a forum full of adults not a playground.

Disagreeing with you is not picking on you, I don't agree with one persons using bad and childish behaviour that could spoiling things for other dog owners and I told you so that is not picking on you..grow up. .

You can have whatever breed of dog you wish to have that is your privilege , where you get them from is your business too.

What I and I think others here object to is seeing you claim your dogs are of a certain breed when that is disputable, then choosing to speak on behalf of a breed you do not own .
  14. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    dont call me a bad dog owner and expect me to sit there and listen to you preach when i know you have mad massive mistakes whne it comes to owning dogs

All i want to do is control my staffords instincts and not strip it away from my breed
  15. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    I have the right to preach Hayley, as the very same things could happen to you especially being as you seem to want all those instincts you speak of to stay.
  16. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    If your dogs are unregistered how do you know they are Staffords and what gives you the right to speak on behalf of Stafford owners?

If you hardly know anything about dogs why do you tell people in your profile that you have had dogs for 20 years?

Earlier in this thread you indicated you know a lot about dogs and Staffords in particular , now you are saying you know hardly anything what are we to believe?
  17. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    because papers doesnt mean its not a stafford.....
    papers dont make a dog
    I was born in to dog, never not had one, ive had molosser and sighthound breeds all my life, and from the age of 17 i started to own my own dog
    Ive learnt alot minihaha, i dont know everything, in comprassion to someone like Jim i dont know anything
    But you own MS so to me you cannot not even try to preach

nikki it wont happen again ive learnt my lesson and seems as thou u have not
  18. sammymax

sammymax New Member

Name:
    Sammy
    Of course they do!!! Again this demonstrates your lack of understanding of dog behaviour. Watch any dogs in the park and the way they interact with each other and you'll see all lots of behaviour including gentle play, rough play and "spats". "Spats" are a vital way older dogs teach younger dogs how to behave.
  19. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    sammymax nikki bullmastiff and american bulldog didnt not have a 'spat', the bullmastiff died due to its injures.... so is that a spat as you call it, or a dog fight?
  20. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    nikki also i want to be left there, its not something id introduce and its nothing something id breed out
  21. sammymax

sammymax New Member

Name:
    Sammy
    Sorry for the re-post but I really, really want you to read this Hayley :smt001

I can’t deny that I’m angry and frustrated with you Hayley. My posts have made that quite clear. However something you said yesterday has been really bugging me and I’ve only just realised why. Although angry, I am genuinely concerned about you and hope you read the below in the spirit it is intended.

Now you know I’ve said that I lived with a dog dog aggressive Stafford for 12 years and I’m speaking from personal experience and from what I’ve learned from some of the UK’s top behaviourists and trainers (including those who own and love staffords). And I know you love and appreciate your dogs and are trying to do the best you know to look after them.

You said yesterday that you have full control of your dogs out and that you turn the other way when you see other dogs on street. What you are actually saying is that you believe your dogs are at risk of attacking other dogs in public. You are saying you have dangerous dogs under the law. Your dogs could justifiably be taken away from you and killed under the DDA.

You must learn to protect your dogs. I know you say you have full control of your dogs in public, but unless they are wearing muzzles in public you do not. This is the only way you can protect your dogs and ensure they do not cause harm if they attack and are taken away from you. If you introduce muzzles to them kindly and positively they will happily wear them (again I know from having to muzzle mine in public). One thing I’ve learnt over the years is that it does not matter who starts the fight, the Stafford will ALWAYS get the blame.

But you say you have full control. You may have full control granted and well done (really) for putting in the time and effort (most bull breed owners don’t). However, your dogs are dangerous and you must also consider and prepare for the possibility of accidents occurring. Most dog attacks are by well controlled animals who have gotten free from their owners. It only takes a drunken cyclist to knock you to the ground or a bee sting on the face or any number of freakish things to injure you first where you lose grip of the leads.

If a child with an annoying yappy dog happens to come around the corner at the same time and you are incapacitated then you have a real problem. At the very least the hysterical child could be injured as your dogs make a beeline for the other one. Of course it could be a lot worse. Don’t think for a second that your dogs will stop an attack because of a small screaming child who is tangled in a lead and fallen on all fours on the ground next to the dog they are attacking and lashing out at them in order to protect herself.

This isn’t a ridiculous scenario, accidents like this happen often enough. And you would be 100% completely responsible for any injury or death caused by your dogs. You would also go through the heartbreak and humiliation of having them killed under the DDA and being dragged through the courts. Your local papers would have a field day.

I genuinely hope that this never ever happens to you but I am worried it could. You need to get professional help for your dogs. We are now seeing “growl” classes where dog dog aggressive dogs can start to learn how to act around other dogs and there is a huge amount of help out there. You must protect your dogs from euthanasia and completely (as much as you can) remove any chance that they could kill or injure.

I know what Staffords are and what they are capable of. Do you?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.