Health issues with NIDs Health

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by tina33, Dec 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tina33

tina33

Name:
    tina

Health issues with NIDs

I wanted to restart this thread as all the mud slinging took the other thread off track.
    So say the founder breeds are GSD, Husky,Mal and an 'inuit type dog', what ever one of those is as the only inuits I know are people who are not happy about a dog breed being named after them.
    Back to the point, the three breeds we can recognise have at some point in the breeding had..............
    hip dysplasia
    epilepsy
    heart and liver disease
    monochidsm
    osteochondritis dissecans and so the list could go on, so all these are problems that must be present in the NIDs, unless there was some heavenly intervention of course.

Why is there two very young dogs on the NI society forum that have died in the last month?
    And why do the NID shows never hold a veterans class?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. arctic.wolf

arctic.wolf

Name:
    Alison
    THE INUIT SLED DOG
    by Genevieve Montcombroux

The roots of the Inuit dog, or Qimmiq, date back 4,000 years, possibly more. Along with the Inuit people, this breed survived the harsh conditions of the Arctic.

In more modern times, this incredibly tough dog took explorers to both poles. Yet his very existence was threatened with the arrival of southern technology and other influences. Crossbreeding with Southern breeds endangered the original purity of the Inuit dog. The advent of snowmobiles into Arctic settlements was the final blow.

In recent times, some Inuit hunters and other interested people in both the North and the South have endeavoured to preserve the breed and restore viable numbers of purebred Inuit dogs.
  4. morganstar

morganstar New Member

Name:
    Jacquie
    Can I just ask why you only seem to comment on NI or start threads on NI, just a thought. I dont have one so I'm not able to answerbut I do remember the last thread your refering to which almost caused WW3.
  5. abbie

abbie Member

Name:
    There is a show being held in Scotland in February for Utonagans and Northern Inuits. There are veteran classes for both breeds listed.
  6. tina33

tina33

Name:
    tina
    I am intrested in the NI because I have watched one suffer recently with no help from any of the people that supposedly care for the breed.

So what about the 2 pups that have died recently?
  7. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
    I would imagine that the NI would possibly inherit some if not all of the conditions from the founder breeds - so would it be wise to test for all known conditions within these breeds.
  8. Moonstone

Moonstone New Member

Name:
    S
    Hi Tina,
    Is the dog okay now? What was the matter with the dog?

I should think that any disease that was in the three foundation could in theory be passed down to the N.I and Utes.
  9. Tracey381

Tracey381 New Member

Name:
    Tracey
    The NIS do hold Veteran classes, as my vets NI enters them ;-)
  10. Patch

Patch New Member

Name:
    Patch
    I don`t think starting a thread in such an antagonistic way is conducive to anything positive.

Perhaps you might consider editing your opening post along the lines of :

"Health issues in the NI breed :

It is commonly believed that the founder breeds are GSD, Husky, Mal and an 'inuit type dog'.
    The breeds we can recognise have at some point in the breeding had :
    hip dysplasia
    epilepsy
    heart and liver disease
    monochidsm
    osteochondritis dissecans

and the list could increase which potentially may happen from crossbreeding. As I understand things at this time, the conditions listed so far are problems which may be present in NI`s.
    Does anyone have any experience or information regarding these health issues in the NI ?
    "

Only the owner/s could answer that.
    Many breeds sadly have pups which die young for one reason or another, some due to hereditary factors, some not.
    In BCs for instance, TNS is a cause which was often mistaken for Fading Puppy Syndrome. TNS however is a recent discovery, which can thankfully now be tested for to avoid it happening in the future.

That comment, I don`t think it was called for at all quite frankly....
  11. morganstar

morganstar New Member

Name:
    Jacquie
    Just what I was trying to get across in my post earlier,
    Well said Patch.
  12. Heidi1

Heidi1 New Member

Name:
    Jill
    A border collie that my now 18 month old NI went to puppy class with when they were all 11 weeks old died of unknown causes at age 1. It can happen in any breed, as it can happen in humans. There are no guarantees I suppose with any breed.
  13. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie
  14. morganstar

morganstar New Member

Name:
    Jacquie
    We never got an answer to our questions on the previous thread, about a rescue dog. As I've said I've know idea about NI except what I read on here, but this is not the first post aimed at causing trouble imho.
  15. Patch

Patch New Member

Name:
    Patch
    As I recall there were many offers of help, but the OP never gave any feedback on how those went, and never actually answered when someone, [ sorry, cant remember who now without trawling that thread again ], asked what was apparently wrong with the dog :?
  16. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Yes it can, however there are predisposed conditions inherited that can also cause sudden death in young dogs, if there have been a few (and I dont know) then maybe there is a little cause for concern as it is still a very small genepool.
  17. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Well said.
  18. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Hi Tina so sorry to hear about the dog and pups and that there was no help on offer where one would expect to find it. .

With all the infighting and fragmentation of the breeding groups it is going to be very difficult to collate relevant health details for the breed as a whole.
    If you or anyone else has any information about the nature of the illness affecting the dogs you have mentioned, and you think it might be of help to others to know about it, perhaps you could post it here. It would then help anyone else doing a search for similar information.

Don't be too discouraged if you don't get a response here :) Your post may prompt others to come forward in time and it will also alert those thinking of buying puppies to the possible health problems in the breed.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2007
  19. arctic.wolf

arctic.wolf

Name:
    Alison

what a good post, if you could put the facts on here, both groups would have the information and would then be able to help you, and other NI owners, and future owners would know if there are health problems they should be aware of.
  20. tina33

tina33

Name:
    tina
    I believe all the illness I originally listed are present in the NID, yet the society deny this and the association acknowledge it, how can the dogs be so different when the break up was not that long ago.
    There is at least one breeder on the NIS forcing her bitches to mate, she pins them down for the males to mate, is this the actions of a credited breeder.
    I dont know any of the people on either group and after what I have read I dont believe I would want to but for the sake of these dogs start health testing.
  21. Fudgeley

Fudgeley New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    We are going round in circles here. One thread closes and another opens. If you could just list the health problems and notify the relevant socieities you will have done your part surely? Making allegations about individuals even if they are unamed is not productive.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.