Kelpie Discussions

Discussion in 'Australian Kelpie' started by Discussion Thread, May 7, 2004.

1. peedie

peedie New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    Those who know kelpies... what are they actually like to live with? How much exercise/stimulation do they really need? Are they comparable to collies? There is a gorgeous boy on Many Tears at the moment and he just got me thinking :) Kelpies are a breed I've never really paid much attention to before but they are stunners!!!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Adam P

Adam P

I think Dawes paws has one who is crossed with a collie.

Most around here are collie x kelpies as well.

General points.
    They seem very high energy, we're talking collie and then some. The same goes for drive, mega herding instinct.

Seem quite healthy and fit though.

Would I have one, yeah definatly!

Of course the one on many tears may be on there because he was low energy/low drive and a rubbish sheepdog so a little steadier than many.

Adam
  4. rune

rune

They are more hard wired than most collies and bred to be more independant. Once you have them on side they work at agility fantastically well but don't seem to have 'broken in' to other activities so much. Very energetic and prone to shoulder barging other dogs, the ones I have known have been very sharp.

rune
  5. Fivedogpam

Fivedogpam New Member

Name:
    Pam
    The only ones I know are in the agility world where they are dominating the ABC (anything but collie) classes (9 out of the top 10 dogs at Olympia) and there are a few that hold their own against the top collies. However, there are also some that just don't have enough drive to get to the top plus some that do quite well but will never set the world alight.

I understand they are all great in a home environment though.
  6. rune

rune

One episode of Morse showed them running across the backs of the sheep which they apparently do a lot----pics on google as well.

rune
  7. Dawes Paws

Dawes Paws New Member

Name:
    Vicki
    Hi yep am proud owner of colliexkelpie, also known as a Kelpish lol
    anyway i got a cross as, tbh i had never owned nor known of anyone that owned a full kelpie. SO i had the choice of taking on a dog i could only gain info on from the internet or go with a cross that i have SOME experience with.
    I wanted a kelpie as i wanted a challenge basically, but wasnt quite sure if i was ready for the full thing lol, so a cross breed it was and BOY has she got me learning
    I WILL be getting a full kelpie as my next dog :)
    they are, as said more driven and harder working than a lot of collies, they learn EXTREMELY fast, so that includes any mistakes you make as well! they also may learn what you want them to, and then think "actually, my way is better, so i'll do it MY way lol" they are very well known for independant thinking!
    Inca has been a joy to train and i certainly got the challenge i wanted, she is stubborn, defiant, and very hardwork. She regularly jumps on windowsills, does wall of death around the living room, opens doors, jumps on kitchen work tops, jumps over walls, and is pretty FEARLESS in everything she does!
    and i wouldnt change her for the world!! training her is SUCH a joy!! she is SO quick, mentally and physically.
    She is getting ready to enter her first "starter comp" for flyball soon and she has absolutely NAILED everything training wise, we are also doing comp OB and again, she picks things up in SECONDS! she is calculated in everything she does and takes things in like a sponge!
    I think they are AMAZING dogs, BUT i wouldnt advise anyone to get one unless they were willing to "work" it, i.e agility flyball comp OB etc..
    she has been and still is at times SERIOUSLY hard work, they are notorious for being pains in the butt till they are around 12-18 months, so as long as youre prepared for the long haul they are WELL worth EVERY bit of effort you put in!
    :D
  8. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    I have never really considered kelpies before, but am getting more interested in this breed as a working dog.

Not sure I could ever talk hubby into trying one here on the farm (as he is a collie man through and through, and doesn't believe a kelpie will ever outshine a good collie, but might try anyway in the future ;-) I don't *think* he has ever had one, but will check when he gets in.

So, does anyone on here with kelpies work their dogs? How do they compare with collies - ie working style etc?
  9. peedie

peedie New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    This is really interesting :) Love learning about new breeds. I don't think I could realistically ever have a kelpie as they just need so much more than I could give them, certainly at the moment and for the foreseeable future. Really enjoying hearing about them anyway!
  10. rune

rune

A lot of farmers round here aquired them about 12 years ago but they didn't seem to catch on. I think they are abit hard for what they needed to do here.

rune
  11. Dawes Paws

Dawes Paws New Member

Name:
    Vicki
    I know of people who have worked kelpies.mixed review really, from what gather if you KNOW kelpies then they are excellent for herding but if you don't they have very different style to collies and like to do it their own way lol.
  12. mcv

mcv New Member

Name:
    claire
    Oh, i didnt know there was a kelpie thread....:p
    I have a kelpish.... Ive met some of you on the general forum ive got sone good pics lately i will post them later
    claire
  13. mcv

mcv New Member

Name:
    claire
  14. Dawes Paws

Dawes Paws New Member

Name:
    Vicki
    boootiful!!
  15. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    He is really lovely :)
  16. hayleybella

hayleybella New Member

Name:
    Hayley
    here's my New addition.

Raven

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ten weeks old today :)
  17. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Very cute ..lol
  18. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    What a cutie :) :049: You are gonna have your work cut out from now on ;-)
  19. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    What do people think she is ??
  20. hayleybella

hayleybella New Member

Name:
    Hayley
    * He has been compared to a Jack Russel, I suppose its the eye brows, but most of my friends knew I wanted a Kelpie so know what he is.
  21. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Sorry i thought Raven was female :blush: name ..lol

Just been reading up on them ..
    Good luck..