Toy breed Which breed for me?

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by beau, Nov 10, 2009.

1. adonia

adonia New Member

Name:
    michelle
    Have you considered a Bishon Frise . Although a lot of work grooming they are very good with childre and other pets
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    i would have to say a chinese crested. obviously im biased. :lol:

they are such lovely dogs, they love their cuddles and love to sit on your knee. they love going out on walks and having a good run, they basically like being with you wherever you go.

coat grooming, quick brush through everyday just to keep knots at bay, but they dont moult so its not too bad :grin:

training wise, they are quite intelligent. daph can be quite stubborn somtimes but she is very obedient.

temperment wise, i think they get on great with other dogs, big or small. they think they are a big dog and this helps :lol:

daph was easy to toilet train she picked it up very quickly, and she is crate trained, and goes in it when im not here to keep an eye on her.

overall i would say they are a lovely little dogs and make a great addition to the family.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. beau

beau New Member

Name:
    nutmeg
    Thankyou all for your replys, after researching the breeds suggested I have narrowed it down to a Japanese chin and a chinese crested.
    I have decided against the cavalier because of the health issues, I know many cavaliers dont suffer from any health issues but I wouldnt like to take the chance.
    I have fallen in love with the chin and also everything I have read about them. I also like what I have read about the chinese crested dogs, just wondering how willfull they actually are. So if there is any more advice you could give about those two breeds I would be really grateful.
    Thank you again,
    Beau x
  5. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    just wondering when you say willful what do you mean?
  6. beau

beau New Member

Name:
    nutmeg
    Sorry, I meant how stubborn, inteligent they are, maybe willful was the wrong word.
  7. beau

beau New Member

Name:
    nutmeg
    Your little girl is beautiful by the way x
  8. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    they are inteligent, and yes they are a bit stubborn, for example, daphni when clicker training, will try everything else first to get the treat out of your hand, yet she soon realises that she isnt going to get it until she does what i want. she just tries it her way first :lol: the fact that they love to be with you and please you so much they will do what you want them to. daphni has been quite easy to train. she is also very good onlead and offlead, she will come when called first time. good luck in your decision, and let me know if you find any crested breeders, or i can help :grin:
  9. fluffymummy

fluffymummy New Member

Name:
    Natasha
    I'm also biased so I'll suggest Coton de Tulear :)
    Easy to groom - a quick brush daily, or you can trim the coat short. Non moulting, get on well with cats, dogs and kids (well mine doesn't as he was taunted by kids though, but not a breed issue), very long living and relatively free from genetic diseases. They like to be with people, they like exercise, intelligent and willing to please. They are small but not tiny and a hardy little dog - also rare.
  10. Miranda53

Miranda53 New Member

Name:
    Miranda
    Well, here's one vote for the beautiful Japanese Chin! You couldn't ask for a sweeter family pet. Clean, good natured, and doesn't require a lot of grooming or exercise.

Only drawback I could think of is that their large protruding eyes are vulnerable to injury, so if you have small children you would need to be extra careful.
  11. Dachshund

Dachshund New Member

Name:
    Liz
    I love the chin's too, I think they are beautiful looking dogs!

Have you considered a Dachshund? Not quite mini but quite small, happy to play and fairly robust (My friend has a mini and an EBT and you should see them play! )
  12. spaznchevy

spaznchevy New Member

Name:
    Madelyn
    Min Pins are great toy dogs ,loyal,proud loveable mostly great with kids :) love to play i could go on and on:)
  13. loisebony

loisebony New Member

Name:
    Ann
    What about a Bichon? I have a Bichon -best dog Ive ever had!:grin: They do have to be groomed and taken to thr Parlour every 6 weeks but non-moulting.:) Mine is so good-so friendly......go to a good breeder though8)
  14. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz

Hows the resreach going Beau, have you made a final choice? :mrgreen:

Cresteds are always eager to please, but they also know what they want.
    There big dogs in little dogs bodies, they make great family dogs, and are very loving and loyal.
    love nothing more than to snuggle with their owners on the sofa or in bed.
    They do enjoy mad runs over the feild, but when you say enough is enough there quite happy to come home and settle.
    Great tempermants with other dogs, big or small, and very people friendly.
    Totally devoted to their owners.

some cresteds are known to be wary of strangers at first, but not to the point they would snap.

There easy to train, and are very intelligent, they pick things up very quickly.

The puffs need their face clipping and they have their neck done into a V neck, you or groomers could do that, or you could leave it to grow providing the hair isnt growing to much towards the eye causing dis comfort.

The worst thing about cresteds are their addictive and once you have one there is no turning back ;-) :mrgreen:
  15. buzzie

buzzie New Member

Name:
    Joan
    Since you got a wonderful review on the Crested that I know little about, I will hope to give you a little better idea on the Japanese Chin.

They too are a little leary of strangers but they are all somewhat different and may warm up very quickly. Less vocal than almost all toy breeds which is nice if you live in a condo or apartment. Very cat like and clean but also can jump higher than a poodle and yet some are just happy to be up on the back of a chair so they can get full view of what is going on in the house.

Grooming needs are very little which is nice. They are soft like a Cavalier and a sweetest little dog. Seven to ten pounds is a nice weight full grown so I think that is smaller than the crested.

You might go to a show to see both breeds before you decide, that is if you don't have one of them in your bed right now:)
  16. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    Yes smaller than cresteds who are getting bigger and bigger :rolleyes:
    Baring that in mind 10-12 lbs is a nice weight for them! :)

Crested standard says;
    - Weight varies considerably, but should not be over 5.4 kgs (12 lbs).
  17. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    aww daph is only like 5.4 kg lol :grin: shes not cobby type though so thats why...
  18. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    Shes just at the top of the weight then...a joke really isnt it because look at her, then others in the ring there more than 12lb like flipping donkeys. :rolleyes:
  19. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    i just realised i wrote that the wrong way round lol i meant 4.5 kg :grin: however she could weigh more now cos shes picked up on eating, but thats how much she weighed when i took her for her vaccinations like two months ago.
  20. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    ahhh bless her, shes a little darling isnt she! Are you at windsor, i cant remember :lol:
  21. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    no i havent im not wasting my money at the minute all her coat is coming out. might enter wales which is at the end of august and just see how she goes. :grin: