Deciding what Breed to go for next! Any Ideas!? Which breed for me?

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Misty-Pup, May 6, 2010.

1. Misty-Pup

Misty-Pup New Member

Name:
    Sarah x

Deciding what Breed to go for next! Any Ideas!?

At the moment, I am not in position to get a new dog, but want to well prepared for when I am. I've got my labradors and my spaniels, and just fancy something different, and a breed you dont really see when out on a shoot day.

I like GSP's and Golden Retrievers and know people with them, and have seen them work, but there are so many other breeds that could be considered and that could work along side my 2.

So, anyone got any ideas as to what I could start looking into!?

x
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    There was a piece in a shooting mag ages ago on a fabulous GSD who went beating and picking up. He was marvellous :-D
  4. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    How about a Brittany, Large Munsterlander or a Korthals Griffon? The trouble with owning spaniels and HPR's though is that the spaniels will no doubt run in on a HPR on point and it may well give up pointing altogether.

I suppose it depends what you have in mind for the dog, whether it be beating, picking up or rough shooting.
  5. Misty-Pup

Misty-Pup New Member

Name:
    Sarah x
    Will have to look into that then! Would definatly be different! :grin: :grin:

I go beating and picking up, and OH occasionally uses my dogs for walked up days.

It's only really when I am picking up that I take more than one dog. Beating for me is much easier with just the one, took both Blade and Misty out on keepers day, and it was an experience I'm not sure I want to repeat! Maybe when Misty is a bit more mature, she brings out the worst in Blade!

x
  6. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Not sure if you are on the NOBS forum, but there is a guy on there who has a GSD called Harry. He could probably fill you in on the strengths and weaknesses of a GSD as a gundog :)
  7. aerolor

aerolor New Member

Name:
    Rena
    Have you thought about a flat coated retriever? They are excellent workers and if you have a sense of humour you will never be bored with a flatcoat:grin:
  8. Misty-Pup

Misty-Pup New Member

Name:
    Sarah x
    Might be a forum to join, was thinking about it ages ago. Met someone that was on NOBS, and came beating where OH used to work because of it! Thanks Kirsty!

I hadn't thought of one, but will be looking into it! Thanks!
  9. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    Something different?

Look no further than one of these...

[​IMG]

Not that I'm biased or anything. :)
  10. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    How about a Clumber spaniel or a Welsh springer?

My preferred route with Flynn would be picking up but he chomps the game so I think thats out of the question! So it looks like he's going beating this coming season but i'm not sure about it, I dont think you get the best out of HPR's when beating but we'll give it a try. But then again, just using them for picking up isnt utilising their hunting side...They are perfect for rough shooting, I think spaniels are better for driven shoots.

On the subject of GSD's used for shooting, i've heard of somebody training a collie also for this. I have to say I would seriously train Jed up for going beating but his only downfall is his sensitivity to loud bangs, lol! He has an excellent nose and finding game is his favourite thing whether it be partridge, pheasant, rabbit or hare. More often than not, it's actually Jed and not Flynn who finds the game so I dont see why a non gundog breed shouldnt be trained up.
  11. pam2

pam2 New Member

Name:
    Pam
    Golden retrievers are a great mix with spaniels and labs,
    they love picking things up
    [​IMG]
    Why don't you go crazy and get a standard poodle, very clever dogs :grin:
  12. Dachshund

Dachshund New Member

Name:
    Liz
    What about a wirehaired Dachshund ?
  13. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    id say a flatcoat too. where i work we have 5 adults and a 10 week old pup. she shows and works them and they are lovely dogs.

other than that id say a nova scotia duck tolling retriever. we have who comes in the kennels called gunner. hes gorgeous and amazing. dont know about working skills but he loves to retrieve a ball :mrgreen:
  14. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    What about an Italian Spinone? we own one, he is just a pet but boy is he perfect ;)
  15. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie

I be the is, one of my wish list dogs,, we need pics.

Also what about an Irish Water Spaniel..another for my wish list
  16. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    Ok pictures :D excuse the mess of him he had just been in the lake! :p
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. Misty-Pup

Misty-Pup New Member

Name:
    Sarah x
    Ohhhh, I shouldn't have started this thread, I am never going to be able to choose!!!

I am going to have to make a list, do some research, find people that own each breed and see if I can spend time with them etc etc.

It's going to be one hard choice I think!!!

x
  18. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    Yes a very hard but exciting choice hehe .. good luck
  19. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Your Spinone looks a lot like one my sister used to own (she has four). What is his breeding?
  20. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Well I do keep offering to meet up ;-) I am sure Yogi would love to spend some time with you! :)
  21. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Just my personal experiences, but if you wanted a gundog with a strong working instincts, you wouldn't go far wrong with a well bred GWP.