Tell me about Springer Spaniels General Chat

Discussion in 'English Springer Spaniel' started by Wyrd, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Wyrd

Wyrd New Member

Name:
    Tasha

Tell me about Springer Spaniels

My mum has decided she likes English Springer Spaniels, but the working type more than the show type.

I always thought they were very hyper, but apparently they aren't as bad as Cocker Spaniels and have better recall, is this the show type or the working type?

Exercise isn't much of a problem, but what are they like around the house?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. rune

rune

Any dogs recall is as good as the person who teaches it!

My springer is full on and is better when she has had mental stimulation of some sort as well as free running.

She is great around the house but she had all her meals in interactive toys up till recently and she has lots of playing with other dogs and lots of free running and usually 10 mins/half an hour of training every day.

I think she is great, but they are often too clever for their owners and they can be possessive.

rune
  4. Wyrd

Wyrd New Member

Name:
    Tasha
    I also thought recall was about the trainer but I was told it's a breed thing with cocker spaniels?
  5. pam2

pam2 New Member

Name:
    Pam
    I've fostered a springer for a month before, hyper didn't cover it, it was half worker/show. She wasn't very calm in the house and needed loads of exercise. Barked a lot too.
    I don't think cockers have any worse recall than any other dog, especially if they have lots of training. Cockers are great dogs, and I would choose them over a springer just because I didn't find my cocker needed as much exercise or stimulation than a springer would.
  6. nddogs

nddogs New Member

Name:
    Sophie
    There are so many different lines of springers that I'm sure you could find one that suited you, I know some great ones and some not so great ones (I only know about the working type though). I know one whos lovely and who once called their gran and barked and moaned down the phone! No joke.

I like working type spingers too great little dogs, I like working cockers too but they all vary so if yoou want one I'm sure if you look into them a bit you'll find one that suits.
    Good luck.
  7. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    First off - Springers are fantastic dogs and it's so refreshing to hear (from somebody new to the breed) that mum prefers the 'working' type to the 'show' type as it's the general public's 'pet' preference to the 'show' Springer that continues to pull the breed away from it's true working type.

With regards to the 'not as hyper as a cocker' comment...

Springers can be as hyper as they come and in my experience - a frustrated Springer can be more of a problem than a Cocker.

Like any Spaniel - Springers need plenty of exercise but perhaps more importantly they need plenty of mental stimulation and (something I can't stress enough) - human interaction.

Springers (even smaller working types) are much stronger than Cockers so that's something else to consider when walking.

Recall - that's down to you really regardless of the breed.

Around the house - Springers can destroy your house LOL - but given the time, patience and interaction they need - they will reward you 1000%
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2010
  8. nddogs

nddogs New Member

Name:
    Sophie
    Great post I found it interesting.
  9. Lizzy23

Lizzy23 New Member

Name:
    Liz
    said it all really, i find them more work than a show cocker, but less than a working cocker, in my experience they do like company, but are not bothered if thats human or four legged
  10. Wyrd

Wyrd New Member

Name:
    Tasha
    Thanks everyone :)

Even though the dog will be my mums dog,I work from home and we have 3 other dogs, so it will always have company.

I have a Dalmatian so I don't think exercise would be a problem :lol: My mum and I also have horses so they will have at least an hour every night, and I have started taking my Dali pup for walks in the morning as well now, so my mums dog would be welcome to come as well.

My friend had a working springer (failed gundog) and my mum met him and really liked him, he wasn't overly hyper but some I have met do seem to dart around a bit, but I think it's only me that has a problem with that, I don't think my mum minds it.

Re the recall, the comment about the recall being better with springers came from talking to 2 people who own cockers and springers (working and show), according to them their cockers were more stubborn when training the recall than the springers were.
    I do like to have a dog that comes back when it's called, and it seems as though cockers get too interested in what they are doing to listen, although my Dalmatian is very easily distracted when there is food or people around :roll:
  11. Pidge

Pidge New Member

Name:
    Em
    Couldn't have put it better myself.

It sounds like you have the right set up for a Springer between the two of you.

We used to think Woody was absolutely bonkers and hyper didn't even come close, but now we have settled him into a nice routine of walks, play and rest.

We give him 3 short walks a day (imo Springers wear themselves out more in the first 20 mins on any walk than on a 2 hour stint), although at weekends we go for long walks with him in the cooler weather. A walk is not just for walking with a springer though, they need to swim, fetch, find and track things to use their worker instincts and avoid frustration.

Now he's two training is not as important, but again, he is a working type so he likes to learn and listen to you and follow instructions. In view of this I make sure that at least once a week I teach him a new trick that we practice every day for a few minutes. This keeps him on his toes because as Rune said, they are so smart they can run rings around you if you're not careful.

We also play games with him in the house, such as tuggy, find it (hide toys/treats/us!) and interaction toys; kong, buddy jug etc.

In return he gives us the best life we could possibly ask for. He knows how to entertain himself now, comes in for cuddles when he wants them (which are always gratefully received!), is eager to learn and has the most adoring expression you could ever ask for.

As you can see, not a dog for those that don't have much time spare in the day as a bored springer is not a happy chappy so this must always be considered, but as Phil said, if you do the rewards are priceless!
  12. Tarimoor

Tarimoor Member

Name:
    Joanne
    I'll just point you in the direction of the pics I've posted of Miggin, 9 week old cocker pup, fabulous little chap if a little chunky. I won't be working him, the OH is running him on and my job is to look after him, and just get him out a few times a day to play.

I can't imagine there's much difference in the trainability of either, in their early history, they were separated by weight at a certain age, you could have both out of the same litter. It was in the early 1900's, 1905 I think, that the breeds were separated.

I won't be doing any other training than building up a recall, lots of praise and reward for him coming to me, which, at the moment, I'm calling him when he's on his way to me, not trying to pull him away from anything too distracting, at that point if I need him to come away I go and fetch him rather than give a command he'll ignore. We've been playing a few times with a tennis ball, and he just absolutely loves any interaction, so I think the recall will be fairly easy to build up around this while he's young.

Mind you, I'm just doing the looking after bits and helping a bit with the early training, I'll let you know how it goes once the training starts proper.