Cross breeding Controversial

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Tassle, Nov 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    Mollett actually wasn't the first, Mollett himself actually credits a man called ''Clifford Derwent'' in his book ''The Story Of The Real Bulldog''.

Derwent was an elected member of the kennel club and many times tried to gain recognition for his dogs which were known as ''Regency Bulldogs'', but to no avail. His dogs were highly sought after and and from what I understand never offered for sale. In the Bulldog fraternity he was ostrasized and the kennel club refused to back his bid for the recognition of the ''Regency Bulldog'' - so, he gave up.

Also, I do know he was heavily involved with Bullmastiffs at the time also and I will link you to an article to give you a bit of an insight into the man from there you can draw you're own conclusions on what he personally looked for in a dog and maybe see the reasons as to why he felt the need to create what he saw as a ''better dog'' :)

http://renaissancenightdogs.info/RenaissanceNightDogs.info/Derwent_Article.html
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2010
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    She really is breeding then just to supply others, will she keep one? How will she feels is she losses her bitch because she bred for nothing more than to sell pups to people that wanted one from her?, why do these people want a pup from this dog and not another? what do they feel they are going to get from a pup out of her, instead of going else where? did she even consider breeding until it came clear that people would buy from her?
    It has come very clear that this person will be breeding to supply others with pets.. nothing wrong with having a nice pet, but that should most certainly not be the sole reason for breeding.
  4. jackal

jackal New Member

Name:
    Anon
    He had it for one day. I seriously doubt he remembers it, and I shouldn't think he remembers the docking process either. I think we miss it a lot more than he does. I do not agree with the docking of pet dogs, or cosmetic docking, but as I say, it happened and there was nothing to be done after the fact. Also, it was for a genuine reason, to make him fit as a potential working HPR. However, OT.
  5. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    ...its a very good reason for breeding :? :? (as long as she is keeping one as a pet and not to breed again)

all my dogs that i have worked are my companions first and foremost.
    what makes a show home better?

my flea has a list of people wanting a pup longer than an actual litter...hes a mutt,people adore him and want a pup of his,not to show not to work...because he is a lovely pet..... btw i havnt and prob wont but why would that be looked down on? ...because they wouldnt of gone down the rescue root? because hes a mutt? because they would be loved family 'pets' or all three?:? :?
  6. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    where have I said a show home is any better? I havent nor do I think it. I never once commented on show or working homes, or infact pet homes. Just stated I dont think breeding soley for pets is the right thing to be doing.
    ALL our dogs are pets before anything also.

Because you would be breeding for no other reason than to supply a demand, what would the litter better? what would you gain from a litter? I get it, some of you feel breeding to supply pets is a good, responsible and ethical reason to breed I dont and never will. Likewise no one should be breeding because they have been asked to so others could have a pup, breeding is a personal choice that should be done because the breeder feels they have something to offer.
  7. lozzibear

lozzibear New Member

Name:
    Lauren
    maybe he doesnt remember it, but i bet it was blooming painful.

i dont think people have to breed for a show home, but i think most people who breed for the sole purpose of creating pets will just stick any two dogs together regardless. even if people are breeding to home the pups as pets, they should IMO still be mainly focused on creating great examples of the breed.
  8. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    all theoretical dd cos im not breeding,but if,it would be to keep one myself(thats my gain).....what would he have to offer, temperament first and foremost,ultimate for a companion imo
    ..im just confuzzed .. isnt all breeding breeding to supply a demand :? :?
    i never said anywhere breeding for pets solely is good.,..infact ,im just playing devils advocate and i am as said,a tad confuzzed.;-)
  9. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    why? thats an assumption.... ive been asked many a time for some of my dogs to be used..... took one look at the bitch and ran a mile lol :)
  10. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    well yeah you could say all breeding would be to supply a demand, difference is, its a different sort of demand - because people would want a pup for the purpose it was bred for..some show/working bred dogs may well end up in pet homes mind..but the overall litter would have been bred for a reason..
    I just feel breeders should believe they have something to offer to the breed its self before breeding. I dont get this whole we love the breed therefore am going to breed a litter for my friends that want a pet because my dog has such a great tempermant or what ever.
    so we shall have to agree to disagree on this one, now and in the future :mrgreen: .
  11. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    ermmm just said i was talking theoreticaly dd...me thinks u want to put words in my mouth.....
  12. lozzibear

lozzibear New Member

Name:
    Lauren
    but if you did decided to breed, what would you breed him with? he may have a great temperament etc, but the pups will be a mixture of both parents therefore they may not turn out like Flea. Also, for you wanting one pup... there are going to be more brought into the world, than just the one you want. i dont think breeding should ever be to 'supply a demand'... and with the number of dogs being bred already, i dont think it needs to be done anyway.

yes, it is an assumption and there may be a few who do, but i think the vast majority dont give it much thought... i see many many Labs, SBTs etc who are so poorly bred, and only vaguely resemble the breed they are meant to be. they are everywhere, yet i would highly doubt they were bred for any other reason than to be a pet. people put much more care into what dogs they are using, if they are trying to further the breed etc.
  13. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    ...sadly breeding good quality pups is in the minority to the amount of dogs bred :-(

we are overbreeding fullstop whether its crosses or pure,and everyone finds an excuse as to why they are :-(
  14. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    not putting words in your mouth because you havent bred just been asked to, if you do its up to you :)
    But I dont agree and never have agreed with people breeding in the situation you described!
  15. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    and i havnt... does that not say anything to u about how i feel on the subject ?

just dont se why a 'pet' is looked down on,because majority of dogs are just that :)
  16. lozzibear

lozzibear New Member

Name:
    Lauren
    i dont think all breeding is supplying the demand... to me, supplying the demand, is breeders breeding purely to supply the demand... if breeders are breeding to further their breed, then that is why they are breeding... not to supply the demand... ok, they supply the demand with the other pups born, but that isnt why they are breeding... am i making sense? :?
  17. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    I dont look down on the dogs for being pets. I just dont agree with the reasoning behind the breeding of the litters.
    Its not the dogs fault, I dont look down at the breeders either..Just choose not to agree with it! :)
  18. lozzibear

lozzibear New Member

Name:
    Lauren
    a 'pet' isnt looked down on, its just when that is the only reason for doing the breeding... if that is the only motive, then i do not agree with it. like i have said previously, IMO every dog should be first and foremost a pet, whether they show, work or whatever.
  19. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    But it is not for self gain (if you are meaning financial gain again?) and it is not to start a new trend.

Even if this is that case - it seems crossbreeds should not be allowed.
  20. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    And again - I disagree there - I do think breeding dogs that have a very high possibility of making good pets is a good enough reason - IF everything els has been looked at as well.
  21. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    She intends to keep one. I have stated that a couple of times. That was her initial thought - when she mentioned that she might be doing it to people, that is when the other homes have been offered.

She has been through the process of breeding before - so knows the ins and outs.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.