Cross breeding Controversial

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Tassle, Nov 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rune

rune

People you describe as bad breeders won't do it ethically though will they?

The only reasons for having pedigree dogs is to show or to have dogs looking roughly the same. So if the breeders of some cross bred dogs are as responsible as the breeders of some pedigree dogs I can't see the problem.

There are irresponsible breeders of pedigree and cross bred dogs.

rune
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    That is not what the thread has been about - the thread is about ethical crossbreeding....which would (for starters) involve only breeding with the intention of keeping not simply to supply a market..
  4. Laura-Anne

Laura-Anne New Member

Name:
    Laura
    Your right, I wont deny it at all, Amber as a pup looked so cocker i thought they were in for a surprise. She now looks like an unclipped poodle a lot of the time. dont get me wrong you can still tell she is a cross though.

They know she does even more surprisingly but still only want a cocker poodle cross. I just have to find the most ethical breeders out there (a lot of searching but as I say they are out there) or a nice little rescue. I prefer the rescue option but they arent so keen on it so i need to find one for them to fall in love.
  5. crestnut

crestnut New Member

Name:
    lynda
    Strange that you think some crosses are a sensible cross and to me they are not lol
    The Ethical person you speak about could be me with that cross so I would be just the same in your eyes. Doing a good deed breeding for the pet market and just because someone wants something different regardless

Any type of crosses do not effect my Pedigree Homes as you call it so I have no gripes
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2010
  6. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    Ok...tell me what I think is a sensible x? I don't remember stating that anywhere??

Regardless of what btw?
  7. crestnut

crestnut New Member

Name:
    lynda
    So if I did indeed do the cross I suggested and kept one it would be okayz then in your eyes
  8. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    IF - you had done everything else - checked histories, vetted and had homes, done health tests etc.....
    Who am I to say you can't?
  9. Blu

Blu New Member

Name:
    Laura
    I really don't understand people who don't like poodles but go and buy one thats been crossed :neutral: You are still likely to get a poodle coat and temprement just it has a stupid name. But then would I want half of these people owning my breed? Nah :grin: They deserve people who respect them for what they are and not ruining them.
  10. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    No - its a very odd phenomenon.....I really upset someone with a cocker poodle x telling her we could make it look like a poodle (grooming) if she wanted....
  11. Laura-Anne

Laura-Anne New Member

Name:
    Laura
    Neither do I (understand people who dont like poodle), but to be fair I dont think theres a single breed I dont like.
  12. Blu

Blu New Member

Name:
    Laura
    I've saw a few out and about that just look total poodle. Shave it's face, feet and tail and it would look like one. I met one person who had a cockerxpoodle who was crossed with another poodle.. They were so suprised how poodley the dog had ended up and the fact the dog had a poodle coat. It looked a mess with matts and that wasn't even touching the dog. They admitted how hard the coat is to look after because they weren't expecing it.

Common sense would tell me something 3/4 poodle would be mainly poodle but hey what can you do :roll:
  13. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    Ohh....I can think of a few.....:lol:
  14. crestnut

crestnut New Member

Name:
    lynda
    Agree with ya on that one
  15. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    Yip, people like different things, luckily there are hundreds of breeds all of differing shapes, sizes, colours, coat lengths, coat textures etc, etc. Some have similar temperamental characteristics, others are like chalk and cheese, so again with all the variety of companion to choose from, where's the logical need. I wouldn't go to the effort of creating a new type of tool by throwing a few of the parts from existing tools together in hopes that the new one would work, when the tools I used to create it, were more than able to do the job in the first place.

I used letters because I wanted the question answering, not another 30 + pages of debating one cross out of hundreds. I thought keeping it impersonal and objective would give the best chance of success.

But if you like here's an example to work with.

X = gsd
    Y = beauceron
  16. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    IMO I would not do it....but that is just me. Other people may see a reason.
  17. Laura-Anne

Laura-Anne New Member

Name:
    Laura
    Me neither, dont see any reason at all.
  18. lozzibear

lozzibear New Member

Name:
    Lauren
    have I not already said (a number of times), that if people are wanting to breed something specific and create a new breed with a set goal in mind then I have no problem with it?? :? It is when people randomly stick two breeds together, without the aim to carry on what is being bred! Also, I think people would be hard pressed to find something that we don’t already have a breed for… there are already, what 300 odd breeds in existence… do we really need any more??

it might be coz it is late, but I do not understand what you mean by this :? What purpose isn’t called for?

what post on another thread? :? I do not remember saying that, but if I did and you have a link for me to refresh my memory, then I will be more than happy to retract that statement… I have always said that I will always have rescues, but I have quite a few breeds that I like and would, in the future, like to go to a breed specific rescue. I would happily always have crossbreeds, but I wont set out to have crossbreed… I will set out to have rescues though.

I have no problem with rescuing crossbreeds, but I will not support those people who breed them as I do not agree with it. just coz I don’t support it though, doesn’t mean the dogs are any less deserving of a home. I don’t agree with unethical pedigree breeding, but I would still rescue one coz they too deserve a home, the same as any ethically bred dog.

It isn’t just about keeping the breeds ‘pure’, it is about breeding for a good reason… and trying to achieve something is a good reason. It just happens to be that most people breeding crossbreeds are trying to achieve nothing! If they are trying to achieve something, then (again) that is fine. sticking two random breeds together doesn’t sit right with me at all!

I am sorry, but I do not and never will, agree with breeding solely for producing pets. People should have another aim in mind, and producing pets should come at least second! imagine the uproar on here if I decided to breed Jake, coz he could produce nice pets! Heck, a member on here even left coz she came underfire and received nasty comments coz her rehome dog got pregnant while under someone else care! and these were pedigrees! It is not as simple as saying ‘oh, they will make nice pets’. There are enough dogs to fulfil the role of being a pet already, so why do people need to keep breeding more, just for that reason??

Maybe the dog this woman has, does not have breathing problems but I have seen pics of ‘puggles’ with the pug face, so they will still suffer… again, if a breeding plan was put in place to eradicate those things, then that is different… but some people don’t give a toss about what the pups are like at the end. Again, what about the temperament? Surely people wanting ‘puggles’ could find the qualities they want in an established breed?
  19. lozzibear

lozzibear New Member

Name:
    Lauren
    Wow :shock: just read though the thread and i am shocked at some members behaviour... i am not at all surprised though :roll:

Oh, btw Tassle, does the woman you know refer to her dog as a 'puggle'?

A few people have mentioned that all breeds have been crossed at some point, yes that is true. but that happened years ago! we have so many breeds to fulful so many roles, i wonder what else there is to breed for...

I am against intentional crossbreeding, but i still have a the joys of owning a mutt :mrgreen: there are plenty in rescues, without them being intentionally bred.

I agree, i would have done the same thing in that situation. i wouldnt agree with it, and i would be annoyed but i would still take the pup i was there to get.
  20. Lizzy23

Lizzy23 New Member

Name:
    Liz
    there is at this moment in time, but lets say breeding went as some have suggested and people only breed for the show ring, or for working, then hopefully there wouldn't be, i still don't see how a fantastic pet is somehow not worthy of being brought into the world after all thats what most of the dog owning public are looking for?

We Choose to own dogs because they cuddle up with us on a night, are loyal, get us out and about and make us smile, they are our pets is this such a bad thing?
  21. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish
    Could get Merley long coated Gsd types!!!! Nice!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.