Cairn terrier, anymore on the forum? General Chat

Discussion in 'Cairn Terrier' started by TWOSOCKS, Dec 6, 2010.

1. TWOSOCKS

TWOSOCKS New Member

Name:
    SUSAN

Cairn terrier, anymore on the forum?

Hi does anyone have a cairn terrier? one of my dogs is a Cairn called Buzz he,s a 5yr old red brindle, I also have a Kashon( cairn x bichon) called Milly and last but not least a lil Chonzer ( mini schnauzer x bichon) called Smudge. They are fantastic lil dogs :grin:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    I have had 3 Cairn terriers and they are lovely dogs. I used to do agility and obedience with my first 2 and took part in a few agility displays with the club I was in.

Badger was our last one and he sadly died quite young for a Cairn at 11 as he had a heart murmer. We didn't want the same breed after him as my husband would find that upsetting so we went for Kerry Blue terriers instead.
  4. TWOSOCKS

TWOSOCKS New Member

Name:
    SUSAN
    Hi, how are you finding the kerry compared to the cairn?
  5. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    Different in some ways but similar in others!

The trouble is I have a male and a female Kerry and they are polar opposites!!

Parker (male) is too wuffy when there is anyone about in our close, Cherry is very quiet-rarely barks.

Parker is brilliant with other dogs, Cherry is only good with small ones or ones she knows (previously attacked by a large dog and has eyesight problems). She is therefore not allowed off-lead unless we go to a quiet field near Norwich prison where I can see other dogs approaching.

Similarities with my Cairns are that I have found them both highly trainable breeds-have done heelwork to music, agility and obedience with my Kerries. They have won an agility trophy, 2 obedience trophies and a heelwork-to-music award.
    They are also both very affectionate breeds that bond with you very closely I think. And both very playful.

Differences-Kerries are more of a "showy" breed in the show ring than Cairns. I have lightly showed Parker in local dog shows and he has 4 best-in-shows (most recent one this year at the age of 8 and a half) and 2 reserve best-in-shows and about 120 rosettes. They also take a lot more grooming than Cairns which I hadn't appreciated until I got them! Those curly coats may not shed but take a lot of grooming and trimming to keep smart.

Also (an obvious one I know!) the size difference is quite a shock! I had only seen Kerries in books and thought they were about the size of a mini Schnauzer but they are much bigger! Came as a shock after being used to handling small dogs.

The other difference is that when I had my Cairns I used to be able to visit my friend's house who had about 4 cats and the dogs would just sit calmly and ignore the cats (after Rusty had a sniff of one and got batted on the nose!). The thought of taking my Kerries into a house with 1 cat brings me out into a cold sweat let alone 4! It would be pandomonium.

I would love another Cairn sometime in the future-perhaps if Cherry goes first we would get one as a companion for Parker (he is a year younger). He would be very lonely on his own as he misses Cherry when she has to go into the health trust at Newmarket for her cataract surgery. He likes all dogs but especially small ones so I think it would be a good match.
  6. Northernsoulgirl

Northernsoulgirl New Member

Name:
    Gill
    I have had 3 Cairn Terriers and I adored them. Spikey was the first and lived to 18, even then his heart went on and on but his quality of life was nil so we made the decision to give him sleep. Rusty was only 11, he sadly drowned ina swimming pool and then we had Sam who was 11 last June. He sadly died of gastro enteritus; I miss him so much he was such a little character and for most of his life kept these two GSDs in order lol.......... anyone looking for a small terrier I would heartily recommend a Cairn, they are spunky and full of character and heart.
  7. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    I wonder why they aren't more popular? We see a lot of Westies about but very few Cairns yet I think they are a more practical colour and don't seem to have the skin problems Westies are prone to. Perhaps they are just not so well known apart from in Scotland?
  8. pam2

pam2 New Member

Name:
    Pam
    I like the look and size of Cairn terriers but someone told me they wouldn't be a good match for my laid back golden retriever, I especially like the dark coloured coat look.
    Funnily enough I met a guy with 2 cairns yesterday and one played away quite happily with my dog but the other one completely ignored him! The owner only had good things to say about them, even though they were complete opposites in nature, I could have chatted longer to him but I couldn't stand the cold any longer.
  9. TWOSOCKS

TWOSOCKS New Member

Name:
    SUSAN
    Yes its a shame, they have become one of the less popular breeds, for what ever reason, its such a shame really because they are such versitile dogs, I have a son with ADHD and my boy Buzz is his best friend they play together and he can with stand all the rough n tough my son dishes out.

Hi Pam, I would certainly say a cairn would get along very happily with your retriever:) my Buzz,s best mate is a labrador and he has two labradoodle friends as well.
  10. Tori

Tori New Member

Name:
    tori
    Yay, I have a Cairn terrier he's called Harvey, he's 4 nearly 5. :grin: he is a right mix of colours i would say a Grey brindle?
    I have hardly meet many either about 2 i think and i live in Scotland but because they are quite rare he does get a lot of fuss made of him if we go to the park or busy places.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2010
  11. TWOSOCKS

TWOSOCKS New Member

Name:
    SUSAN
    Hiya Tori, my boy is a red brindle and he also gets alot of attention.
    I went to a steam fayre this year in Carlisle and saw "6" cairns, think they all must be there lol....
  12. border pop

border pop New Member

Name:
    BORDERPOP
    My old girl Tilly was a Cairn. We lost her at 17. She was a grey brindle. Great little dog and we have many fond memories of her but a cantankerous little so and so at the same time. (Still have the scar on my chin to prove it (my fault for teasing)). She had really bad skin for the last several years of her life, kept at bay by a careful diet.
  13. Tori

Tori New Member

Name:
    tori
    So thats where they all are lol:grin: .

As people have said on here they used to own a Cairn, I have had quite a few people stop me too and say "awww we used to have a Cairn" Must have been popular at some point but its ashame you don't see so many now.

Sounds a lovely girl, i hope i Harvey as long.
    He's had some skin troubles too and we need to watch what he eats due to allergies.
  14. Tori

Tori New Member

Name:
    tori
    I really think that a Cairn would get along fine with your retriever, Harvey gets along really good with other dogs and he used to have a play about with a golden retriever near me and they got along great. I dont know much about them living together with other dogs as i just have the one but i have read about people with numerous cairns together and cairns with other breeds and they seem to get along fine, i think it just depends on the dogs character.
  15. border pop

border pop New Member

Name:
    BORDERPOP
    If you get a cairn from a reputable breeder who knows their lines, and has temperament as paramount in their breeding program don't see why a cairn wouldn't be able to be kept along side a retriever. I think terriers and gundogs always seem to go really well together. :grin:
  16. TWOSOCKS

TWOSOCKS New Member

Name:
    SUSAN
    My Cairn Buzz lives with my other two dogs Milly and Smudge and they make a fantastic pack hes a very happy boy, he also spends a lot of time with my sister and her 3 pugs and they all get on like a house on fire...I have to agree though finding a good breeder is of great importance both for health and temperament...
  17. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    I know lots of people have Labs and Jack Russels and Jack Rusells are higher energy dogs than Cairns I think.
  18. DougalsDen

DougalsDen New Member

Name:
    DougalsDen
    We have two cairns and we love them to pieces. Old guy is 15 but still loves his morning trot around the field and his food.
    Young pup is 21 weeks and a right little terror but lovely all the same. Dougal is a red brindle and Ozzy was almost totally black like a little bear when we got him, his coat is getting lighter so lord knows what colour he will end up.
    We always had westies growing up and I love them as well but I think Cairns are just that little bit more fiesty.

Any tips for stoping the pup chasing the cats would be much appreciated... if only the cats did not run, he would not be after them like the clappers.
  19. Northernsoulgirl

Northernsoulgirl New Member

Name:
    Gill
    Indeedy feisty is the word for Cairn Terriers. I miss my little chap so much. Your advice request for cat control made me remember the first time we brought Spike home. We had got him from a couple who had a toddler and new baby and couldn't cope with him, he was 18 months old, the same age as my youngest daughter. We brought him into the kitchen of our bungalow without thinking - he saw our cat 'Lady' and before you could breath he was chasing her out of the kitchen across the road (we lived in a small village) up past neighbours houses and across the field. I thought we had lost the little beggar - my son went off in hot pursuit followed by my husband and I, what a performance. We got him back of course and apart from a few sorties up the curtains and some stand offs for about a month they all became good friends and lived together until Lady died.
  20. border pop

border pop New Member

Name:
    BORDERPOP
    My old girl:cry: used to, live with guineapigs, rabbits, a budgie and a cocketiel that used to land on her, mice, rats, hamsters, gerbil. She couldn't care less. A cat on the other hand.....:p
  21. Tori

Tori New Member

Name:
    tori
    DougalsDen congratulations on your new pup:grin: , i dont really have any advice about chasing cats because we just have our Cairn. Harvey was really dark when he was a puppy too and he is really lighter now, a kinda Grey brindle i would say.

Wow that amazing, what a good girl she was. I was visiting my brother and Harvey took great interest in his wee gerbil running about his tank and wouldnt move just staring and scraping at the floor, i think really desperately wanting to get a hold of it. My sister has guinea pigs and hes not seen them yet so im worried of his reaction when he does.