Looking for a small dog breed to keep me company! :) Which breed for me?

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by WildYoungThing, May 7, 2011.

1. WildYoungThing

WildYoungThing New Member

Name:
    Jasmine

Looking for a small dog breed to keep me company! :)

Hello there,

I am in my 20s and I have just moved into my own house. I am looking for a small breed of dog to keep me company. I am a freelance writer so I work from home, and I am also a jogger and can give a dog plenty of excerise. I have owned dogs in the past at the family home [2 labradors, and a cocker spaniel], but I am looking for my own little dog to enjoy.

I admit I was first drawn to the 'designer dog' trend, but after doing research it seems like it is generally looked down upon and can lead to ill dogs with a poor quality of life. A quick question though, is a cross between two top pedigree dogs likely to have more health problems than a normal pedigree puppy?

I am looking for a tea cup or small lap dog with a friendly and affectionate personality. There are just too many breeds to choose from and it's a little overwhelming so any help would be great :)

Also any advice about choosing a good breeder? I am absolutely NOT willing to go to a puppy farm or pet store, and even some online ads can look suspicious.

Thanks so much for reading :)

Jasmine x
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ben Mcfuzzylugs

It is unlikely that you would find a cross being bred from two great pedigree dogs because good pedigree breeders wouldnt use their dogs to make a crossbreed

also a tea cup is never going to be great either - they are bred only for size not health - runt to runt matings really

If you are a jogger and you get a puppy then you would have to wait over a year before you could take your pup out with you as their little bones grow

Have you considered a rescue? that way you could know the energy and personality of the dog a little better, they would be fine to go out with you almost right away, and a good rescue can help you choose the best dog to fit into your lifestyle
  4. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    ...papillon's are nice active wee lap sized-ish dogs
  5. WildYoungThing

Name:
    Jasmine
    I have considered a rescue, though my grandparents had a very bad experience with their Jack Russell that they got from a local RSPCA, he turned out to be very vicious and deaf. I also got a rescue cat a couple of years ago which again had a lot of behavioural and health problems.

Is it true that some pedigree breeders breed for looks and not health? I saw the BBC documentary recently and it was quie shocking. Is there a list of known high quality breeders anywhere? Or a site where you can rate breeders?

Thanks for the help!
  6. Magpyex

Magpyex New Member

Name:
    Megan
    Please do not be taken in by anyone offering a 'tea cup' breed! There is no such thing, it is either just BS made up to sell puppies, runts of litters or runt bred to runt. Anyone who advertises 'tea cups' is not going to be at all reputable or interested in the health of their puppies so steer clear! :)

As for your question about cross breeds vs. pedigrees when it comes to health, the issue is that the vast majority of those breeding crosses will not have health tested and will not be using good pedigree dogs as the parents because no reputable breeder would allow their dogs to be used for breeding designer crosses. A reputable pedigree breeder on the other hand will have health tested both the dam and the sire.

Completely agree with Ben McFuzzylugs, an adult rescue would be great because then they can go for jogs with you straight away :) As for what breed you want - what sort of 'traits' would you like the dog to have? Do you have time for lots of grooming and possibly expensive grooming bills or would you prefer something short haired that requires very little grooming? These are just some things to think about because although all the toy breeds are small, they are all very different! :)
  7. WildYoungThing

Name:
    Jasmine
    Thanks :) I was looking for dogs that don't shed a lot though. I have no problem with grooming it, as my family dog goes about every 6 weeks.
  8. WildYoungThing

Name:
    Jasmine
    Thanks for the tea cup advise, I will definately stay clear! Relatives of mine have had bad experience with rescue dogs but I do think it's based on the individual dog so I am definately going to have a look around my local shelters. Grooming isn't an issue as the family dog goes to an excellent groomer, though I would like a dog that doesn't shed a lot, though this isn't a priority as I know this would limit my choices. Is there a registered list of good breeders or a website where you can sell them? Thanks so much for the advise :)
  9. Magpyex

Magpyex New Member

Name:
    Megan
    If you're worried about perhaps ending up with a rescue dog that has unknown 'issues', it might be a good idea to find a rescue that fosters it's dogs :) That way you'll have a good idea as to how it will behave in a home environment as often dogs will behave differently in kennels.

As for shedding, I have a MiniPinXTerrier (a rescue) and she doesn't shed much at all and takes very little grooming :) I don't think it's a common mix but terriers or Miniature Pinschers might be good for you to look at?

If you're unsure on the breed you want and can wait a bit, there is a big event in November called Discover Dogs where you can meet loads of different breeds and talk to owners about what the dogs are like :) You might also get a good recommendation for some breeders!

I'm not sure if there is a list of registered breeders but if you find a breed you like and decide you want a puppy, find the breed club website (easy to find with google!) and they should have a list of breeders registered with them :)
  10. WildYoungThing

Name:
    Jasmine
    Thanks so much, where is the Discover Dogs show? Do you have any advice on introducing two dogs? The family dog [which I do take care for primarily] is a two year old Cocker Spaniel and she's very used to lots of attention! :)
  11. Magpyex

Magpyex New Member

Name:
    Megan
    It's held at Earl's Court in London :) Here's the link to the website: http://www.discoverdogs.org.uk/

I'm afraid I don't have any advice on introducing dogs as I've only got my one! However, there have been lots of threads about that so if you do a search for 'introducing dogs' I'm sure you'll find some useful advice :grin:
  12. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    How about a Norwich Terrier!
  13. suecurrie

suecurrie New Member

Name:
    Sue
    At most rescues some of the dogs have come from loving homes where perhaps their owner has died or is too ill to care for them so not all have behavoural issues. I have had four rescues and they have all been wonderful.
  14. katilea

katilea New Member

Name:
    Kate
    what are their temperaments like?
  15. Sosha

Sosha New Member

Name:
    Sosha
    Decent short haired (low maintenance!) chihuahua (or cross) can be regular Linford Christies out and about.

Would personally avoid any described as "Apple head" or "Teacup" but that's just me.
  16. katilea

katilea New Member

Name:
    Kate
    yes I love little Ruby who was on Crufts Friends for life she was Chi x JRT I think. She was lovely and perfect size!
  17. Sosha

Sosha New Member

Name:
    Sosha
    Use to walk with a JRTxChi sometimes. She was a lively mischievous little dog a little too interested in rabbit holes.
  18. Wyrd

Wyrd New Member

Name:
    Tasha
    My first thought was Chinese Crested.
  19. Insomnia

Insomnia New Member

Name:
    Melanie
    Did the op ever decide?
  20. Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ben Mcfuzzylugs