Purposely breeding type dogs!! Controversial

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by tera, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Dobermann

Dobermann New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    Is there a DNA marker to rest for regarding allergies?
    Thanks Tupac; do allergies pass from parents to offspring? I didnt think it was that simple but seems some think so?
    Didnt think it sounded right but I wondered if it was more than coincidence as they all seem to have these scabs and itchy areas (the ones I have met that is)

Curious now!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. chaos

chaos New Member

Name:
    michelle
    She is beautiful, Got to say also depends on the look of the dog just cause its an AB x Staff wont necessarily mean it will look like a pitt I have seen a lot of AB x staffs yer some do fall into the type bracket some dont I have also seen a black lab x staff looked more pit than a AB x staff, AND the reason for these crosses are ££££££££££££
  4. tera

tera New Member

Name:
    t
    Bang on Chaos, infact I'v probably seen more Lab x Staff's being passed of/sold as "pits" than anything else!!
  5. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    duplicate post
  6. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    EXACTLY my point on another thread!

So if this is the case, there are no good reasons not to cross an AB with an SBT are there!
  7. Moon's Mum

Moon's Mum New Member

Name:
    Amanda
    Well aside from creating more needless Staffie x's when the rescue centres are already heaving with them? Although admittedly that doesn't only apply to AB x Staff
  8. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear

Well NOBODY should be breeding unless they have a waiting list, no matter WHAT the breed.

My point was that the argument for or against breeding AB x SBT applies to ALL breeds as ANY mixes can be considered of "type" as demonstrated by the above post.
  9. Dooley

Dooley New Member

Name:
    Dooley!
    i can`t think for the life of me why anyone in their right mind would want to cross a staff with an ambull anyway , they are so different, different sizes, different structures :?
    i agree no one should be breeding, i assume ambull rescue would be pretty stretched as they seem to be bred in super high numbers nowdays :-( will staff rescue take these crosses and vice versa ?
  10. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Well I cannot imagine why anyone would want to cross a labrador with a poodle but they do! ;)
  11. Dooley

Dooley New Member

Name:
    Dooley!
    surely it all boils down to one thing then :(
  12. hades

hades New Member

Name:
    lexus
    What is a ‘type’ of banned dog?
    Whether your dog is a banned type depends on what your dog actually looks like, rather than the breed or name by which it is called.
    If your dog matches many of the characteristics of a Pit Bull Terrier, it may be treated as a banned type, no matter what type or breed its parents were. (Cross-bred and mongrel dogs can have the characteristics of a Pit Bull Terrier.)
    Pit Bull type dogs
    Pit Bull types can be called:
    American Staffordshire Terriers
    Irish Staffordshire Terriers
    Irish Blue or Red Nose
    Some kinds of American Bulldogs have been found to be Pit Bull types.
    Staffordshire Bull Terriers
    Staffordshire Bull Terriers are not listed in the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991. You are allowed to own this breed of dog. "

Ab x staffy are no more seen as type as (certain lines of abs, staffys, presas and or there crosses. same with bull terrier or boxer crosses) Thats the problem with the word 'type'! A k.c reg staffy is also not protected either.
    Two dogs from the same litter, one could be 'type' the other not...its a farce really!
    A lab x staffy even if parentage can be proved could be classed as type.
    Basically most bullbreeds or there crosses are at risk.

I dont thinking targeting a certain cross is very productive or fair, when they are no more type as the breeds and there crosses above.
    Obv certain people do breed any or all of these breeds above and there crosses for the wrong reason.
    But same can be said about all dog breeds and or there crosses.

I dont agree with just breeding any dog or just cross breeding fullstop. But just because someone calls it a hog or catch dog, its not a good reason either.

Im sure in another thread you posted pics of 'in your words'
    real working bulldogs. Which you later revealed where actually am bulldogs x pit. Would these dogs not fall under type?
    Im affraid you cant have it both ways, always talking about how much of a sorry state the am bulldog breed is in etc then turn round and post pics of 'real working bulldogs' that are ambull crosses. Would they not contribute to the sorry state the ambulldog breed is in then?

I think this thread, was just to get a reaction off people, you know as well as I that a staffy x ambulldog is no more type than any of the breeds and crosses listed above.:roll:
    What a dog look likes determins if it is seen as 'type' no matter what the parents of the dog are.
  13. Velvetboxers

Velvetboxers New Member

Name:
    Helen
    How many white dogs have you seen with allergies? Allergies on a white dog will show to the visible eye, there are just as many coloured dogs with allergies, only difference is the allergies wont be so visible.
  14. Dobermann

Dobermann New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    I know but I was asking more specifically about in this breed than in general - i.e. is there a pattern...
  15. tera

tera New Member

Name:
    t
    I'v met more Staffs of all colours with skin issues than I have American Bulldogs which are usually at least 80-90% white...and I'v met a hell of alot of both. I'v always thought it's breeding dogs with lack of pigment that can cause trouble ?
  16. Velvetboxers

Velvetboxers New Member

Name:
    Helen
    With Boxers they are purely a White dog, pigment has nothing to do with it. A lot of people assume incorrectly that White Boxers are albinos. A lot of old wives tales out there :lol:
  17. Zuluandnaomi

Zuluandnaomi New Member

Name:
    Naomi
    I dont agree with breeding any form of stafford at the moment. I dont think its right to specifically breed an AB x Staffy either at the moment especially with all the DDA/BSL issues - it is asking for trouble for the dog. They arent a X breed I would particularly recommend for inexperienced dog owners because of their size and strength and I think alot of people do go for them because of their looks and an awful lot end up in rescues and stay there some time. It is incredibly easy to create a "type" dog or plastic pit...anything with a bit of bull breed and a lean athletic type of dog generally does it!
  18. Dobermann

Dobermann New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    yes but you can get white dogs with more pigment than others (yet none albino - white dobes are albinos though)

Apparently the white dogs with the darker skin and the black lips etc is more pigment?