Choose my next one.. or at least help Which breed for me?

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by SLB, Dec 2, 2011.

1. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee

Choose my next one.. or at least help

OH said that since we can't rescue due to issues that I would rather not get into on this thread, we can have a puppy. (Won't be till next year)

I'm not fussed what dog we get, I'd be happy with another mutt to be fair but finding one that isn't in rescue or has a ridiculous price tag and name.

Whether you have had dogs previously:

I currently have 3, a 10, 8 and nearly 2 year old crossbreeds. 1 that lives with me all the time, the older two some weekends..

Your circumstances - do you work etc?

ATM I work two nights a week at night so the dogs will sleep whilst I'm out.. That may change, but my little sister lives with me whilst she goes to college so she will always be at home at some point.

How much time you have for exercise

ATM - all day, every day.

Whether you have children, other pets etc

Visiting children, yes, and other pets - I have rabbits.

What characteristics you are looking for

I want a dog that is trainable and loyal and has the drive for something, be it gundog work or obedience. Also something a little cheeky..

What breeds you have already looked at and your thoughts on them

GWP - I think they are lovely dogs and the ones I have met have been biddable and affectionate.
    HWV/HV - The latter I have found very skittish, haven't really met a HWV.
    Cocker - Love the drive but also the character of them.
    Springer - same as a Cocker.
    BC - always admired them, one of my favourite breeds.
    CC - the ones I have met have made me giggle. I love their characters..

Basically - most of you guys know me, know Louie, know the work I have put in.. but the decision is hard, I know what I want but I want so much..
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab
    Hmmm....a dog that is trainable, with drive, yet a bit cheeky.... how about a Flatcoated Retriever?

They have a lot of personality judging by the ones I've met, and seem very intelligent and amenable to training.

Or a Lab?
  4. EmmiS

EmmiS New Member

Name:
    Emma Louise
    what sort of size? I think you cna't go wrong with a CKC! but they might be a bit small for you.

Really like English setters too.
  5. Sara

Sara New Member

Name:
    Sara
    Personally, If I were in your situation, I'd totally go for an Irish Terrier! LOL, but a Springer is probably more your style... plus you're used to gundogs :)
  6. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    See I'm not too keen on Labs, they just seem plain to me.. either everyones got one, had one, or knows someone with one.

And FCR's - I don't know much about them but they aren't one that take my fancy.

Both dogs could suit me but they don't exactly make me want one..
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2011
  7. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    No bigger than a GWP and no smaller than a Cocker (CC is an exception) I've looked at setters before but re thought it..

See Sara, I'm not really after a terrier.. there are a couple I would consider in the future but not at the moment.. plus aren't they rare-ish?

I wouldn't say I'm used to gundogs - I've got a lot to learn but I would like another breed from the group.
  8. Sara

Sara New Member

Name:
    Sara
    Yeah, I didn't figure you for a terrier person... which I totally am! LOL If you're looking for a serious challenge to your sanity, and alot of mischief and mayhem, then an Irish is good for you... but I totally dont think that's what you're after :lol: They're seriously rare here, but less so over there. But if I had as much time as you? I'd have one in less than a heartbeat LOL So totally my kind of dog!

You have a gundog, you know sort of what to expect with one, and you like them... So a gundog is a good choice for you. I'd so go with a Springer, or a St. Poodle if I was looking for a gundog.

Edit: I know Poodles aren't gundogs technically, but they were developed for it, and I'd use one for retrieving, so for me it'd be a gundog
  9. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    I do want a poodle but with the exception of the GWP and HWV - I would like a smaller dog this time.. but Poodles should be on that list..
  10. rueben

rueben New Member

Name:
    rueben
    Pointers are very nice dogs.
    Must admit I do prefer the smooth coated myself.
  11. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    When I think of cheeky dogs the first breed that comes to mind are Boxer dogs!
  12. Tillymint

Tillymint New Member

Name:
    Suzie
    My first thought was a lab, 2nd thought was a collie knowing how much time & effort you put into training & not for the faint hearted:)
  13. rueben

rueben New Member

Name:
    rueben
    Spot on Azz the boxers I have know are certainly up for it.:grin:
  14. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

Ah, but the reason Labs are so popular is because they are so fab :mrgreen: Very versatile and also they tend to have that 'cheeky' aspect you are looking for :)

Re Flatcoats - I do know what you mean, until I got to know one, the breed was never on my radar.
  15. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    i thought this when i first started working with flatcoats. i liked them but there was no "wow" if you know what i mean?

after working with them every single day for 3 weeks, i can totally say they have given me the flatcoat bug :lol:

i miss them horribly!!! the house seems empty without one about.

they are extremely intelligent, very loyal, friendly, good with kids, other animals (providing they are brought up with them) very comical, i laughed at at least one of them when i was there with them. have an energy that you know they need to do something, be it work, obedience, agility, but they also think they are a lap dog :lol: :lol:

i think you would quite suit one, and they are in your gundog group :grin: plus how can you resist this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and they grow into this :grin:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. morganstar

morganstar New Member

Name:
    Jacquie
    What about a working cocker or a field spaniel.
  17. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    how funny! they werent on my radar either.... but now, i seek them out :lol: :lol: :lol: god i miss them :-(
  18. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    See I've met flat coats and talked to the owners but they still don't have that.. I don't know what to call it.. they, as well as labs don't have that thing that makes me see them in the street and mug the owner so I can fuss the dogs and talk to the owner. I just think oh look a FCR or another lab..

And Boxers - I like them, but they aren't the dog for me..

But you never know - it won't be until next spring/summer so anything could happen..
  19. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    i think with a flatcoat you really have to spend time with them. a quick stroke in the street doesnt show what they can do. id go to a breeders house and spend a good few hours there, or go to a show, or go and watch them work :grin:
  20. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    I've spent time with them at shows etc and also walked round the lakes with one.. but then I suppose that isn't enough.. but again, apart from the puppies, they don't make me want one.. but I'll do my research on them.. see if theres anything that sways me..
  21. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    ive only decided after working with them solid for 3 weeks that i could have one. i think you should handle them yourself, alot of the breeders are nice though and will quite happily talk to you and let you spend time with dogs etc :grin: but my house feels empty without one now :-( i text the owner telling her, and she said to me "yes they do have a tendency to do that"