Neoprene vests. General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by SLB, Mar 6, 2012.

1. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee

Neoprene vests.

With Louie's recent injuries (grazed armpit, cut tail, scratches etc) I thought I could get him one of these to minimise some of the injuries he gets whilst tanking about in bracken etc - just a bit of protection.

Anyway what I was wondering was with the spring and summer just around the corner - do they affect the temperature of the dogs or will it not do anything other than protect them?

Ahhh - edit: just read up on them and it seems they are only for the colder months.. Hmmm
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    I'm not sure but would have thought it would - although we don't get that many hot days lol.

We bought one for Rob's pointer after counting in very cold weather but she didn't really wear it as it was a bit cumbersome for her. I did actually think about one today as Dotty scratched her chest while counting today.

Helen
  4. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Neoprene retains body heat that is why it is used in wetsuits...........
  5. nddogs

nddogs New Member

Name:
    Sophie
    My sister has one her her Vizsla he LOVES it. But yeah I don't think I'd want to put it on a dog if the weather was mild/hot. I think there are other things you can get to protect the dogs chest/underside.
  6. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    I did edit to say I looked :D

Do you know of anything I could get for him, even to offer little protection or is it just going to be one of those things? :?
  7. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    Just had a look and I found this:

http://www.gundoggear.co.uk/protector-vest-dv0016-134-p.asp

Not sure on the colour though..
  8. nddogs

nddogs New Member

Name:
    Sophie
  9. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    That looks better! Stupid orange colour though..

Anything for tails?
    [​IMG]

Poor boy - we had to cut some fur off the end of his tail to clean it.. And there's still no clear wound.. :(
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2012
  10. nddogs

nddogs New Member

Name:
    Sophie
    Poor lad :-( think it's best to leave the furr for protection just gently wash and feel for any bits of bramble left in thats what we do with our little dog although he's docked he sometimes gets scratches on his body and he's pretty hairy. Look up ''Tail strapping'' there is something on an other forum... but don't expect I'll be able to post a link to it on here.

Always find interesting gun dog things on american sites they seem to have come up with just about anything and everything :lol:
  11. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    I've wrapped it up, BASC site has step to step guides how to wrap all sorts of gun dog injuries up - someone posted it to me on faceache so we should have it healing without him making it worse.
  12. nddogs

nddogs New Member

Name:
    Sophie
    Glad you sorted something :)