Need Help Picking a Dog Which breed for me?

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by GrantBlackwood, Apr 21, 2012.

1. GrantBlackwood

GrantBlackwood New Member

Name:
    Grant

Need Help Picking a Dog

Hello everyone,

Apologies for making another one of these posts, but I was hoping some of you would be kind enough to help me out.

Whether you have had dogs previously
    I have always been around dogs and have owned two labradors.

Your circumstances - do you work etc?
    I am self-employed and work from home, so I will have quite a bit of time to dedicate to the dog.

How much time you have for exercise
    I would be able to provide two walks per day (1 hour morning/evening) in addition to some playing/training in the back garden.

I like to walk and hike, so I am looking for a dog to accompany me on my outdoor adventures.

Whether you have children, other pets etc
    No children or other pets.

What characteristics you are looking for
    - A dog that is active outdoors but relaxed once inside (too much to ask?).

- A dog that does not love everyone and prefers the company of me, or my partner. I don't want an overly sociable dog, like another labrador.

- A dog that is medium sized, or on the small side of big.

- A dog that could be considered a "Velcro Dog". I'm looking for a real friend and companion, not a furry lodger.

What breeds you have already looked at and your thoughts on them
    I have been looking at Australian Cattle Dogs a lot. I've liked the look of them ever since watching Mad Max. However, my concern would be that the amount of exercise I could provide would not be enough.

Anything else you think might be relevant or important
    I live in a semi-rural location with a moderately sized back garden. I have no preference when it comes to long/short fur, however I don't like dogs that drool a lot.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2012
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    You just described my Boxer...
    He is not a drooler ....
  4. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    A Dobermann fits the description.
  5. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    What you need is a German Shepherd.... :mrgreen:
  6. lisa01uk87

lisa01uk87 New Member

Name:
    lisa
    I agree with all of the above but i would also likevto suggest a staffie or staffie x (thousands out there that need a home) one of them is bound to suit your lifestyle
  7. WhichPets

WhichPets New Member

Name:
    WhichPets
    German Shepherd
    Bearded Collie
    Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
    Pointer
    Rough Collie
    Shetland Sheepdog
    Norwegian Buhund ;)
    One of the spaniels

Not sure if all of these fit the brief but perhaps a few to look in to?
  8. Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ben Mcfuzzylugs

I think you could be a good home for an australian cattle dog as well
    or a border collie
    A couple of hour walks a day, hikes and some training are actually enough for many active breeds

appart from the size you have described my two perfectly - furry shadow, sleeps when nothing to do and up for anything
  9. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    I'd have said Border Collie too.

Be aware that no matter what dog you get, you won't be able to take them on long hikes until they mature so if you're looking for an immediate hiking companion, go for an older dog from rescue.
  10. GrantBlackwood

Name:
    Grant
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. A few that stick out to me that I hadn't previously considered are:

Doberman - I was clearly misinformed because, from what I've read, their temperament is opposite to what I expected it to be.

What are they like walking on bumpy, earthy terrain? I like to venture up hills, through forests, etc.

Border Collie - I know they're stereotypically full of energy, but post-exercise, when they are indoors, are they at all calm?

And Brierley, thanks for bringing that to my attention. How old would say a dog would need to be before it's best suited for long walks/hikes?
  11. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Dobermanns are gorgeous dogs lol I have 3 so they must be, they are up for anything and will walk for hours over any terrain tbh they then sleep for the rest of the day. Our daily walk is in woodland they love it.
    I don't know what you expected their temprement to be but my lot are very balanced even tempered but aloof with anyone outside of family, they are loyal, fun loving dogs. It was the bit of your first post where you said you wanted them to be a velcro dog, and prefer your company to anyone else that made me think Dobermann. They do tend to be a bit vocal though, not just barking but they like to talk, they have an opinion on everything and they insist you listen :lol: They have a huge array of sounds and noises, they are funny dogs with comic personalities they make me laugh a lot.
  12. rune

rune

Vizla---lovely dogs, can do anything you ask of them and are known as velcro dogs.

rune
  13. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    How tall are yours Trouble??
  14. rune

rune

Any dog can be taught to chill out but some are more difficult than others. Some BC's have an off switch which is difficult to find!

rune
  15. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Syd my male is 27" to the shoulder and 46kgs
    Rio female is 25 and a half to the shoulder and 36kgs
    Milan is 25 to the shoulder and 35 kgs

How big is Oz?
  16. tattoogirl73

tattoogirl73 New Member

Name:
    jayne
    Trouble, do none of your dobes drool? Opie does when he's running like an idiot and when there is some food that he's after. Got to admit dobes are definelty Velcro dogs though, and he will walk anywhere but is happiest running through woods. He will make friends with anyone who comes to our house but after the initial greeting prefers to be by my side :)
  17. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    No none of them drool unlike my Boxer who used to have 2 foot shoelaces with bubbles down the entire length whenever I had something tasty to eat :lol: although I don't mind drool.
  18. Anniebee

Anniebee New Member

Name:
    Annie
    I second that, and just what I was thinking as I read the OP , I know I'm biased, but a Vizlsa fits the bill perfectly. :grin:
  19. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    My BCs all have off switches, they can be fast asleep & when told be up & ready for work etc & then back to chilling out again. Mine are not show type BC two are ISDS working bred & the other two are part KC Obedience & part ISDS working.

The range from smooth coated, medium coat, semi rough & rough coated. They are very much my dogs although they do have a select group of canine & human friends ;-)
  20. rune

rune

My two ISDS were/are more difficult to off---might be because they were aquired when older. My farm bred one was difficult, agility bred was great and so is show bred one.

Really can't generalise at all!

rune
  21. GrantBlackwood

Name:
    Grant
    Actually, I have never encountered or even seen a doberman in person. My opinion of them had been shaped by what I had seen on television, and dobermans (dobermen?) always seemed to be the bad guy's dog of choice.

It was surprising to find out they're rather sweet dogs. I like 'em. :)