How do you go about getting a dog of a breed you've never had before ? Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Phil, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil

How do you go about getting a dog of a breed you've never had before ?

I'd like to introduce a new dog late 2012 / early 2013 and have a 'new' specific breed in mind.

Despite owning numerous dogs over the years I've never (apart from Springers) had a specific breed in mind when looking for a dog so I'm keen to know how people go about it ?

Obviously I can research on the web for a 'kennel' of a particular breed but it always feels like a closed shop.

By that I mean those which are reputable have no need to mention litters being available yet I'm concerned about those who promote them.

So, despite knowing the breed quite well, how (without being in any circles with kennels) - would I go about getting the ball rolling ?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2012
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. MadisonSale

MadisonSale New Member

Name:
    Madison Sale
    as a start, if it were me, i would:

1) look at the kennel club list of accredited breeders of your chosen breed.
    2) search out and join breed specific forums relating to your chosen breed.
    3) start a thread on a general dog forum (such as this) asking for any first hand experience other forum members may have with your chosen breed.

then just connect the dots :)
  4. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    I would look at as many breeders as I can who I know have planned matings for that time (they usually have this info on their sites) and look at the parents for the mating and see if I like the look of them (they look healthy etc) - and after getting a feel for all breeders short-listed in this manner, then get in touch with them and ask questions about tests, look at what ethics they prescribe to, etc.

For me there would be little point looking at the breeders first when their dogs may not be to my taste - so the dogs come first for me then I would work my way up from there :lol:
  5. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    Thanks folks. I'm pleased to see it's not just me staying up late.

Health tests /ethics are a given from my end and would be part of any subsequent discussion. It's more a case of how you make those first tentative steps to contact people.

I feel like a dog newbie but want to do things the right way.

My rescues were simple and my Spaniels connected so this is all a bit new.
  6. Lynn

Lynn Member

Name:
    Lynn
    Breed club is a good place to start too they usually have one sometimes two people who know a lot of people in the breed and can tell you in a roundabout way who to contact or who not too. Also look at the results for the showing of the particular breed club if they have a designated site our breed club does.
    The write ups give a lot of information about movement, temperament and you can see how many times particular breeders and their dogs keep cropping up with good results and placings and who they were sired by as well.

If you could get along to some events also that is good meet some breeders and people who who don't breed but own the breed can tell you about their dog and where it came from. You get to see alot of dogs as well and meet them and get chatting I know at our events everyone is only to pleased to let you meet and greet their dogs and talk about them. Most people if happy with their dog and breeder will readily recommend them.

We found we learnt a lot from going along to the events and chatting to people and from the breed club.
  7. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    It really depends on what spheres you are in.

By that I mean if you are in the "show" world you get to see specimens of your chosen breed at breed shows and when you like a particular "type" you can see which breeders produce the stamp you like.

If you are in the "working sphere" obviously you get to see a lot of dogs in the competition arena and again develop a sense of what you want, like, meets your criteria etc.

If you are in neither, then the first stop should always be the breed club (clubs) as their codes of conduct/ethics are generally more stringent than that of the kennel club.

They will point you to reputable breeders, have fun days and their own events at which you can peruse potential suppliers.

I am not sure what you mean by a "closed shop"? I agree it can be daunting when you first start out as you know no one.

When I was researching my GSD I obviously got to know who was producing what, where and when, and was introduced to the breeder by people I trusted and the rest is history.
  8. nickmcmechan

nickmcmechan New Member

Name:
    Nick
    I guess the advice above is be clear on your requirements, health, working / show etc

Phone the KC for suitable breeders.

I would then join breed specific forums and start asking questions - someone will know the lines I'm sure
  9. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Excellent advice given already.

I would also firstly contact breed clubs and ask about any litters planned for the time you were hoping to get a pup and any events they have organised that you may be able to go along to and speak to owners and breeders , join a breed specific forum and ask questions, start a new thread on Dogsey about the breed you are interested in.

I wouldn't feel daunted though, as most breeders and enthusiasts of their breed are open, friendly and helpful.
  10. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    From what you have said previously, is it a Deerhound you are interested in?
  11. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    Thanks for the feedback folks.

Hi Moobli - yes it is.
  12. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Exciting Phil. Deerhounds are lovely :049: I know there is a breeder in the Borders (Newcastleton I think) but I don't know anything about them.
  13. Lynn

Lynn Member

Name:
    Lynn
    Lovely. One of the nurses where Dillon is having his treadmill sessions and who looked after Ollie has a young Deerhound.

If you like I can get in touch and see if she can recommend any breeders we are in the South but she may be able to speak to her breeder and get some ideas on your end of the country. She may not but no harm in asking if you would like me too.
  14. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
  15. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    I am in a similar situation, looking to go into a new breed, it's easy when you know a breed and involved with it, you know what you like, who to avoid and so on, but going into a new one is a little like going in blind.

Like you , said breed is rare on the ground, so you are looking at a relatively small 'club', to look at, and unlike you my chosen breed has imported bloodlines so coefficient is not to much of a problem ( I think).

Don't know much about your breed, but that may be something you will have to accept ( or not). In a numerically small gene pool.

I think the best way to move forward is to first try and find someone who has one, ask their experiences, what they think of their breeder, try and go to some shows and watch and speak to exhibitors, get a feel of who you like, if you like their dogs, I think given the breed and I guess unless you plan to join a hunt, you will be looking for a show bred one, so the choice will be easier to make.

I have over the last 12 mths got to know a few breeders, got a feel of who I would like to have a pup from, one breeder being in Portugal, and intend to visit him next time we go, his kennel is down the road from our place there, he shows and works his dogs, and has just made up the first portie lifeguard team ( with his son) on the algarve, and can't wait to meet them I love his ethics and his dogs.

Going into a new breed is difficult, but achievable with research and recommendations

Good luck .
  16. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    I can't really add anything to what's already been said.
    I was fortunate enough when looking into a new breed to find owners and breeders of the two breeds I was most torn between on here(including the breeder of my boy)as well as elsewhere online.

I'm curious, which breed are you looking at JB?

Good luck both of you.
  17. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab
    In my albeit limited experience, I found that many breeders were more than happy to chat to me and advise even if they personally didn't have a litter OR they had a litter but all the pups were spoken for.

So I'd say it's definitely worth getting in touch with any breeders whose dogs and ethos you like, and being very upfront, and explain that even if they don't have a litter, would they kindly point you in the direction of another breeder if they know of one...

I imagine that any reputable breeders you approach will be happy that you are doing your research :)

Best of luck :)
  18. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    She was looking at PWD'S ...
  19. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    I was going to ask the same - spill the beans JB! :lol:

And agree - good luck to you both.
  20. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    I was going to ask the same too.
  21. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    :lol: :lol:
    Yep, you got it in one Murf :lol:

Been looking at them for a fw yrs now, and when we no longer have Millie, we will have one, hence my research now.