One of those 'help me choose!' threads Which breed for me?

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Kuja, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Kuja

Kuja New Member

Name:
    Kuja

One of those 'help me choose!' threads

Hello everyone, I have been a member of the forum for quite a while but I have never posted much before. I joined mainly to research the different aspects of owning a dog and to hear from people's experiences. In the past my circumstances prevented me from actually getting a dog, but I still wanted to research and plan so that I was prepared. Now things have changed, and I am able to seriously consider what dog I would like to share my life with.

•Whether you have had dogs previously

I have never owned a dog, and I never had one in the house when I was growing up either. I can imagine this would be a big hindrance to getting a dog from a rescue. Aunts/Uncles/Grandparents etc have had dogs before and my dad did have pet dogs when he was younger, but it was a long time ago before I was around!

•Your circumstances - do you work etc?

I live alone and work full time (More strikes against me, I feel :-() I live in a semi-detached house with a garden that's not huge but has lawn, patio etc. There is a lovely dog-friendly park and promenade at the river nearby.

•How much time you have for exercise

I would be happy to walk twice a day, probably 30 mins in the morning and 30 mins to an hour in the evening. At the weekends I would be able to fit in at least one beach run or a different, longer 'adventure' somewhere else.

•Whether you have children, other pets etc

I have two large rabbits, who live in a secure shed in the garden. I also have a syrian hamster. No kids, and don't plan on any for the forseeable future.

•What characteristics you are looking for

I LOVE big fluffy dogs! Size and shedding doesn't put me off, but I wear a lot of black so maybe not a very white dog :grin: I would like a dog that is instincively sociable with everyone - I would want to take them everywhere with me. Not huge excercise requirements i.e if I took them for a longish walk I would hope they were satisfied.

I don't really know what else to put, I mean my ideal of a dog may not exist, but as a first time owner I would say trainable, and loyal would be useful things for me too.

•What breeds you have already looked at and your thoughts on them

I love Newfoundlands but people say they are so difficult to look after that I don't know if anyone would say they were suitable for a first time owner. Like I said size etc doesn't worry me but I have never had the experience yet personally.

Other breeds I have considered are German Shepherd, Old English sheepdog, Belgian Shepherd, Bedlington Terrier and Wheaten Terrier. However I don't know anyone who has had these breeds personally, and it seems all dogs I initially like the look of (Akitas for example) get the 'not for first time owners' disclaimer.

•Anything else you think might be relevant or important

I am not about to rush into buying a puppy without thorough research, but because I am such a 'newbie' at this dog owning thing I am not sure where to start, or whether my dream of a big fluffy dog should be abandoned as totally unrealistic. I am happy to get books to give me the practical tips on how to physically care for a dog, but it seems there are lot of conflicting views in books so any tried-and-tested reading material recommendations would be great, and of course any other advice you can think of is welcome!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    Hi Kuja

The first most obvious question is, what do you plan to do with the puppy while you are at work? puppies need lots of time, company and letting out every hour or so (if they are awake and active). Obviously if you are gone for 8-9 hours a day this won't be possible. What is your actual work schedule like? getting someone to look after your puppy all day will quickly become very expensive.

Newfies are big, lazy and slobber lots. They also have quite extensive grooming requirements and like all giant breeds, diet and exercise must be closely monitored until maturity. Not for house proud and perhaps not an ideal introduction the the world of dogs!

GSD's and BSD's, again probably not ideal first time dogs especially the work line ones. Very intelligent, need lots of exercise and stimulation, some varieties have big grooming requirements, breeders need to be chosen very carefully with GSD's as there are a lot of dodgy ones.

Bedlington Terrier's might be more of a realistic choice for a first time dog owner. Other breeds to look into include Labradors, Golden Retrievers, Cockers (show line), Springers (show line), Greyhounds, lurchers, Whippets, Pugs, Yorkies, Staffies and Miniature Poodles.

You can have a dog and work full time. Loads of people do and it isn't a problem provided adequate provisions are made for the dog (you come back at lunch or hire a dog walker, exercise before and after work, etc.). A puppy however is a different matter and yes you will struggle to get a rescue to rehome if you are a single full time worker. :-(
  4. Kuja

Kuja New Member

Name:
    Kuja
    Thank you for your quick reply! I have a lot of holiday time that I could use in the first weeks of having a puppy, and I would make sure I had someone I could leave it with during the day after that until it was toilet trained and a bit older. This however brings me to another question - how old would you say a dog must be before it can be left when you work full time?

I will be looking into a dog walker/someone to care for it during the middle of the day for at least an hour while I am at work. If I am unable to provide these things (time for a puppy if I decide to get one while I am at work, and someone to look after or take for a walk during the day) then I will NOT be getting a dog. I don't think it would be fair. I am out of the house from just after 7am to just before 6pm so it is a long day, but I would be able to walk a dog before and after work and like I said I would not expect the dog to go the whole day alone.

Thank you for your breed suggestions - Golden retrievers, Cocker Spaniels and Miniature poodles all appeal to me so I will look into those. I walk a Springer Spaniel for a neighbour and he is also lovely but Cocker Spaniels just appeal to me more. I am not a fan of pugs, yorkies or most 'toy' dogs but I wouldn't rule out a toy breed just because it is classed as such. If it is recommended I will certainly have a look!

I am open to adopting a rescue dog instead of a puppy but I know due to my circumstances they probably wouldn't let me, so I have ruled it out unless anyone knows of places to check.
  5. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    Hi again,

I have to say that 11 hours a day even with a walk break in the middle is a going to be a big ask of all but the laziest and most laid back of adult dogs. Assuming you are sleeping for at least 6 hours a night, that is a lot of time spent doing not a lot for the dog.

For a pup to work in that situation you would have to have someone looking after it all day.

A cat might be a better option for you.
  6. Kuja

Kuja New Member

Name:
    Kuja
    Thanks again. I am actually allergic to cats, otherwise I would have considered them. Having heard from you I agree that I would have to have someone look after the dog for a while during the day, either the whole time I am at work or for a good part of the day - and a puppy would have to be supervised the whole time. If I cannot make arangements for this to happen then I will not get a dog, because however much it upsets me to not have one I couldn't be knowingly cruel.
  7. Lizzy23

Lizzy23 New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Look into day care, you may find its not too much more than a walk in the middle of the day. there are lots of people who like you, want the companionship of a dog, but have to work full time and this is becoming more and more popeular
  8. Vicki6344

Vicki6344

Name:
    Vicki
    I would NEVER have a labrador puppy and work full time.

I did it - I had to rehome them (I had two) at 5 years old and it broke my heart........
  9. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    You sound very responsible. :)

As Lizzy said, there is the option of doggy daycare. They are £15-20 per day here (possibly a bit cheaper up north?) so long term, the cost is going to add up quickly. However if cost is no objection this would be perfect.

You would have to pick and choose the daycare very carefully as there are some dodgy ones about.
  10. Hanlou

Hanlou New Member

Name:
    Han
    All the other concerns aside - as a breed choice perhaps you should look in to a Eurasier. They are medium sized fluffy breeds who don't need tons of exercise. If you 'Google' them or look on Youtube for videos you will find lots of information on them - they are a relatively new breed.

They are however bred to be companion dogs so would need 'daycare' or similar to cope with such a long working day.

I am hoping that my next breed will be a Eurasier. :grin:
  11. WhichPets

WhichPets New Member

Name:
    WhichPets
    I am in a similar situation to you - but my dog is now 2..

I get up, walk the dog for 30 mins. Get back, shower, go to work.
    When I get in from work I take her out for a 45 min - 1hr walk, then we do some training or play later in the evening.

At the weekends I try to get out for about 3 hours to somewhere new and interesting :)

It works well.. if you are committed..as in seriously happy for your dog to be a huge part of your life :lol: Its a huge tie, I cant stay late for work, I feel guilty if I go out with friends later in the evening, I cant take trips away etc. For me its totally worth it but I can see its not for everyone!

Rescues can be tricky regarding working full time hours.
    Not everyone is in agreement about private rehoming but it could be an option and I wouldnt have thought you would struggle to the same extent.

Personally, I dont think you have time for a young pup :(
    I worked only part time, and from home the rest of the time when my dog was young. Having said this people do manage it, but how; without the house being wrecked, dog getting bored, toilet training being tricky etc I dont know!!

In terms of breeds:
    Staffie
    King charles cavalier
    Greyhound
    Papillon
    An older lab/retriever
    Cocker

Good luck in your search, sorry about the essay!
  12. RedDwarf77

RedDwarf77 New Member

Name:
    Kat
    Hi there,

I'm really sorry, this is probably going to sound harsh - it's just my opinion so please don't take too much offence - others will disagree and give an alternative view I'm sure:)

I personally wouldn't take on a puppy unless you have the same amount of time you would provide for a baby - which is lots!! I don't feel it would be fair to the dog at all - which is why shelters wouldn't let you re-home one in your circumstances - they're not just being tight it's for several reasons - sorry :)

If you go with an older dog, I've always found staffies not to be suitable to be left alone for long periods - they are companion dogs - people focused and want to be with their people - we have a staffie cross lab. Cockers (we have a crazy rescue cockerpoo pup) who's VERY high energy, not sure if it's the cocker or the poodle which makes him that way!!

We seriously researched into Eurasiers and were going to go with that breed, but after speaking to many breeders on the subject & meeting a number of breed examples, again felt it wouldn't be fair as they are totally people focused and find being left very stressful.

Greyhounds are pretty good for happily lounging quietly during the course of the day - but I'd stay clear of the very active working breeds that you've mentioned or you could end up with an unhappy dog with behavioural difficulties - I have 2 of those & believe me you don't want that if you can help it! Golden retrievers can also be really hard work & need lots of exercise.

Perhaps you're not at the right stage in your life with being out so much? I had to wait for 10 years before my circumstances changed enough so I felt that I could offer enough of me in committing to have a dog again.

Why don't you try going along to various dog shows and linking up with breeders so you can see the breeds of dog you like in the flesh, warts n all? If you're def set on getting a dog, I'd go with an older rescue who's a couch potato, but personally I'd leave it a bit longer or commit to a doggy daycare provision in your absence :)
  13. Kuja

Kuja New Member

Name:
    Kuja
    Thank you for all your detailed replies, I really appreciate it! I know we all love dogs and what what is best for them and your advice is invaluable. I just want to reassure people I am not about to just go out and buy a puppy because 'I want one, so there.' I have wanted a dog for a long as I can remember and although I can afford it I know I have to do things right for the dogs sake if I do it at all, hence all the research!

I'll try to reply to points as best I can.

If I cannot get someone (probably a close friend or family member) to look after a puppy every time I am not there and to share in its care while I am at work, then I will not get one. I am still looking into this possibility.

I agree with the people that pointed out that when I am at work an adult dog will require some form of day care for a good portion of the day (I would say the dog would be left for no more than 5 hours alone at a maximum) and again if I couldn't do this then no dog for me!

Hanlou - The Eurasier is a stunning looking breed! I haven't had a chance to look up much information about them yet but I will add them to my list of 'must research!'

I know it seems like a huge kerfuffle just to own a dog, but I do believe that if I can get it right then I would give them a fulfilling and rewarding home, and of course I would love them to bits. If it is a case of it all just being for my benefit and would be stressful for a dog then I couldn't do it.

WhichPets - Thank you for sharing your experiences! I agree it will tying and hard work but I still want to go ahead if possible. I didn't consider some of the breeds you listed before so thanks for the suggestions!

RedDwarf77 - (I LOVE Red Dwarf by the way!) You haven't offended me at all! I hope you didn't have to bite your tounge at my ignorance, but I am trying to learn as I go and do as many things right as possible even if that means waiting until I get a dog. I just feel that I wil have to work full-time for the forseeable future (single, living alone, young) and might be too old to go on walks with a dog by the time I retire! Probably the reality won't be as drastic but I do worry!

I haven't mentioned this before as it's not definite, but my dad is retired and my mum is looking to go part time in december. They don't live with me but they live very near, and they know I want a dog but would like companionship themselves now the kids have gone! They have offered provisionally to look after a puppy or dog for me while I am at work. I would still do the walking but they would take it with them during the day and obviously it wouldn't be alone much at all compared to me leaving it. If it was a puppy they would obviously do all the puppy care during working hours until it was more independant.

I haven't just plucked this out of the air - we were seriously discussing it but I don't want to rely on them totally to be resonsible for caring for MY dog and so I wanted to see if there was a way I could perhaps get one without putting pressure on them to help me. Would a puppy or dog be upset or unsettled to have different people looking after it during the week? I would drop it off in the morning and collect it on my way home from work, and it would stay with me for the whole weekend if this plan was put into action.

Anyway sorry for rambling, and even if I decide I can't get a dog I can always get my cute dog fix looking at the picture thread here on Dogsey! :D
  14. RedDwarf77

RedDwarf77 New Member

Name:
    Kat
    Glad to hear I didn't offend ;-) I think you sound like a very responsible person who's considering everything carefully before jumping in just to please yourself, so I wouldn't call you ignorant at all - more like willing to learn which most of us are! I'm still learning every day, even though I've owned dogs my whole life. And besides - you appreciate Red Dwarf, so a thumbs up from me ;-))

I think if your mum & dad are able to help out then it would make life far easier for you & the dog - but don't forget that puppy raising and training is incredibly hard work which you'd have to balance with whether you parents are truly happy to provide that high level of commitment for several months.

In honesty (having been in such a situation myself when I was younger) I'd personally opt for an older dog who's past the house training/chewing stage (even if it's just 7 months old it's so much easier than an 12 week old pup) which will make it easier on them and less stressful all round. What you don't want 3 months in is to find it's too much for your parent's after all.

I don't think it would be too much of a problem for an adult dog in terms of bonding, but my pups have always been around me rather than passed around. It's just my opinion, but I feel they need stability in the same way as a child does. I'd try and choose a breed which bonds with everyone and not just primarily with one person which will make it easier on all of you.

Don't rely on just googling info on dog breeds, you really do need to see them in real life - I've fallen in love with different breeds on the net then found the reality to completely change my mind - dog shows, volunteering at shelters and breed meet ups are great opportunities to see the reality before you commit. If you're thinking of getting a Eurasier, or any specific breed, make sure you go to a Quality Assured Breeder - I've met examples of the E.breed from a well known breeder who wasn't quality assured and their behaviour was not typical of breed standard at all & showed behavioural problems - e.g dominance, aggression towards other dogs/people etc. For your parents sake, the dogs & yours with your lifestyle, try and opt for a lower level energy dog.

All the best
  15. WhichPets

WhichPets New Member

Name:
    WhichPets
    I think it sounds like you are considering things very carefully.
    In all honesty if every person had to work part time or be retired to own a dog, many of us on here (and in the country in general) would not have a dog. Personally I would be very offended if someone was to suggest that we do not deserve to own one because of it.

I think an adult dog can be left, but with your hours you probably will need a dog walker to come in at one point during the day to socilaise, exercise and let the dog empty itself.

The offer from your parents is very kind and probably necessary if you were to go for a puppy. It would likely be beneficial for you to take as long off work as possible to bond and train your pup as much as you can :grin:

Hope I'm not coming across patronising here :blush: but do bare in mind that for it to work your parents essentially have to want to own a puppy (40 hours a week is not an inconsiderable amount of time :lol:)
    Also consider whether you are happy for them to assist in 'bringing up your dog' as it were. My family are great at losing my dog, letting her bark, repeating commands, letting her run across a main road, licking dishwashers etc - its the risk you take when a dog is in someone else's care..(why I now haven't been away in well over a year!)

As reddwarf says do try and meet lots of the breed and get an honest opinion.
    Lastly, and this sounds silly, but before getting a dog, perhaps try a week or 2 of getting up before work and walking, then again after, staying in more etc just to check the less exciting bits don't phase you :lol:

It does sound like you're thinking it through.. dogs bring huge amount of compromise, especially when you are in a position such as yours (and mine), but if you are committed, and it sounds like you are, then it can be very rewarding and worthwhile :grin: :007:
  16. Tammy1976

Tammy1976 New Member

Name:
    Tammy
    I won't say much as others have made very good points but I personally think you should get an older dog who is out of the puppy stage. You sound extremely responsible and I think an older, more laid back dog would suit you perfectly :)

Good luck!
  17. steph52

steph52 New Member

Name:
    stephanie
    as long as your rabbits are in a secure pen i would suggest a greyhound. i know they're not shaggy but they meet the large dog criteria :) they are also couch potatoes .. they love a nice soft duvet & contrary to popular belief do not require miles & miles of running :) ... ex-racing dogs are crying out for homes,so maybe worth considering? i fostered these years ago - they were so loving ,gentle & docile :)
  18. RedDwarf77

RedDwarf77 New Member

Name:
    Kat
    Or a wire haired lurcher? They have a great scruffy look - I would have had one but for having a cat :)
  19. Insomnia

Insomnia New Member

Name:
    Melanie
    I think if you're parents are up for having the puppy for the majority of the day then that's a possible plan - however there's a good chance they'll see you as the 'puppy sitter' and your parents as the owner as they'll be spending more awake time with them.
    Personally, I'd go for an older puppy or adult dog (lots of rescues consider various circumstances - not all have blanket policies).
    Out of the breeds mentioned to you, my choice would be a rescued Greyhound (I have one so can give you more information if you want) as they sleep a lot and won't need as much stimulation from your parents, so you won't be 'burdening' them with bringing up and training your puppy. Or a scruffy lurcher?
  20. salukibel

salukibel New Member

Name:
    Amy
    If you like large fluffy breeds, have you considered a Leonberger? They a beautiful, with a really lovely temperament, and as far as I'm aware not as drooly as a lot of other large fluffies (Newfs, St Bernards etc.)
    I'd agree with RedDwarf77, maybe go along to some dog shows, have a look at what breeds catch your interest and maybe chat to a few breeders. :)
  21. Kuja

Kuja New Member

Name:
    Kuja
    Thanks again everyone! Sorry it has taken me so long to reply.

I am going to give it more time while I continue researching, and get more experience of caring for a dog. I am not at work at the moment so I am looking after neighbours dogs for part of the day. When I feel ready to have a dog of my own I will talk to breeders and I would like an older dog if I can find one suitable for a first-time owner. My dad loves greyhounds and lurchers so they are a real possibility!

Thanks again for all your advice - I know I have a lot to learn but now I know where to start :)