Help, overwhelmed with choices! Which breed for me?

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Danni147, Aug 22, 2012.

1. charlotte-tebb

charlotte-tebb New Member

Name:
    Charlotte
    Hi,

I highly recommend visiting your local rescue centres, they will have dogs of all shapes and sizes and are usually very good at matching owners with a suitable dog. In my opinion it's not necessarily the breed of the dog that is important but matching you with a dog that has the right temperament and energy levels to fit your lifestyle. I wouldn't recommend a puppy because they do need so much attention and exercise and I think that when you go back to work this could be a big problem. Good luck finding a dog and I really hope that you consider getting a rescue dog, there are so many gorgeous dogs out there needing homes. :)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Deanoh

Deanoh New Member

Name:
    Deano
    Danni147:
    Please don't get a pup (of any breed)
    Jesss:
    "Studding your dog out"?
    Of course you will be doing all the relevant health tests on any mating and owners for the rest of the litter will already be on a waiting list (and will have been vetted as potential dog owners)But please post that this is the case as there are lots of people who just think that chucking your dog at a bitch has no concequences.
  4. pingu007

pingu007 New Member

Name:
    BECKY
    how about a rescue bull breed? rescues are full of them, american bulldog, dogue de bordeaux, mastiff types, they tend to be very laid back, love their walks and pottering, the rescues are spilling over with them, i know several people who have rescued bull breeds and they are totally chilled happy to be left as long as they are walked obviously and they have so much love to give, but any dog is going to be hard work, as i am sure you are aware, maybe look into a dog walker to take the dog out or a daycare, just make sure you do research on the people running the establishment and their methods, or see if you have a friend with a dog who could look after yours through the day and you can look after theirs for holidays and the like maybe?? just remember to check the people out who will be doing the looking after, what they say and the reality can be somewhat different.
  5. Insomnia

Insomnia New Member

Name:
    Melanie
    I second the advice for a rescue Greyhound :) They do enjoy a walk (of varying lengths) but mostly enjoy sleeping :D Don't need loads of stimulation and training and most I know of are happy to dose the day away :)
  6. Sosha

Sosha New Member

Name:
    Sosha
    I'd also recommend a rescue centre for a mooch. A good one will have given it's dogs a pretty good assessment.

Got the Lodger at a year and a half and he'd be happy enough left for the 4hrs provided he had a good (hour plus) run in the morning. Not an issue as he comes into work. Aunt has a cat flap for her two terriers she uses if she's out a while.

Puppies are hard work - I wouldn't have one!

Add a plus 1 for greyhounds.
  7. Hanlou

Hanlou New Member

Name:
    Han
    They are lovely dogs. We would have gone for one but with rabbits, guinea pigs and rats we decided it was too much of a risk, particularly as our rabbits have lots of free range time and live outside next to the house.

But I think greyhounds are wonderful dogs and sound absolutely ideal for your situation :grin:

We've met quite a few greyhounds round here - they always seem so dignified and not noisy and barky - unlike our mouthy hairy madam! :lol: (we do luff her lots though lol)