Choose new dog Which breed for me?

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by dzver, Aug 26, 2012.

1. dzver

dzver New Member

Name:
    Borislav

Choose new dog

Hello everyone :)

I'm new here and I'm glad that I join in such a good comunity for dog lovers.

I want...and in the past 2 months I feel that I NEED new dog. The problem is that I'm not sure what breed of dog will be best for me. I post my 1st thread in ''Gundogs'' because I think about one Black Labrador but also I'm not really sure. For me is very clear that for one farmer to own Pudel is not the best choise or for one city guy to own Caucasian Shepherd Dog too. I want my new dog to feel confortable with my way of life and the way of life of my girlfriend (most of the things I do..I do them with her too)...our way of life to be his way of life too and to be the best dog for our needs..and we to be his best owners for his needs too.

I hope for help and advices :)

I'm young guy who live in little town with mountainous terrain all around. My lifestyle is very intense, but very relaxed too. I often go on hunting and fishing, I go for a walk and hiking in mountains, I run often, I go to swim very often, I'm wrestler and in the warm/hot seasons we workout outdoors in the mountains, but I also sometimes sit at home and painting - one of my hobbies. I also walk in city area often also. In my country the winter is very cold (the last one was with themperatures such - 32 C) and the summer...just today here was 43 C.
    I'm in long term relationship and maybe after not more than 3-4 years we, I and my girlfriend will have kid/s, so the choise now is very important.
    I also think that I need best friend too. Not just dog which will please me and play for me because he knows that I will give him food or to learn some tricks.....I need dog who can really become my friend. To do with me together all things I do.

I and my girlfriend need:
    *Dog who will love the outdors. Dog that will come with us on fishing, will come with us to swim and things like these.

*Companion and family dog that can sit around us on the sofa while we watch TV durring the cold winter outside....and dog that can go in the snow to play sometimes. Also dog that will not have problem to be ''online'' during the summer, i.e not with so long coat. Dog that can be enough gentle and careful when a new life (baby) is born around.

*Dog that can be very very ''tied'' to its owners. To love them.

*Somewhat skillfull dog. Dog that can learn to save drowning man for example.

*Dog that dont have very short lifespan. 10-12 is good. The problem is that sometimes I and specially my girl (it will be her dog too) become VERY attached with the pets she own. She is very emotional and when her pet die...she is extremely sad for weeks. So, I think that will be good to reduce the quanity of such weeks.

60-90 lbs weght range. is need to be. Not too small, not too large.

That's it what we need.

I though long time what will be the right choise and for now I think that Golden Retriever or Labrador Retriever is the right choise. She think so also. Just we think its the most balanced choise. So, what do you think, ladies and gentlemens?
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2012
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. marleysmum

marleysmum New Member

Name:
    Marleysmum
    i would say a labrador, a golden retriever would be great too but they need alot more grooming than the labradors do. :)
  4. dzver

dzver New Member

Name:
    Borislav
    Thank so much for the reply. :)

BTW, If someone have ideas as other different breeds - Welcome! :)
  5. chlosmum

chlosmum New Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Have you thought about an Hungarian Komondor .... it would seem ideal for your mainly outdoor and active life? Even though they have the long "dreadlock" coat they don't shed or need much grooming, and their coat protects them from extreme heat and cold.
  6. dzver

dzver New Member

Name:
    Borislav
    Yes, I thought about the Hungarian Komondor. It is interesting dog, it will be okay with the outdoor active life but not so with the indoor life I think. His coat is too much if we talk about changing the atmosphere quickly. It not need too much shed and grooming but when it get durty from outside...then is difficult to clean. And with this coat, to roll 5 seconds outside in rainy day and go inside...is enough to make all the house very ''different''. It will be okay in the winter with this coat, but in the summer..when is 40-44 C here ...
    Other thing that make me not sure in this dog breed is its temperament. It is more protective than I need to be.

Anyway, thank you so much.
  7. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    German Shorthaired Pointer?
  8. marleysmum

marleysmum New Member

Name:
    Marleysmum
    maybe look at spanials either the cocker or the springer, also the chesapeake retriever, or look at the rescue centers and see if theres a dog there that would be good for what you want? :)
  9. celli

celli New Member

Name:
    jane
    So nice to come across someone putting so much thought into which breed will fit your life :023:

Have you looked at the Hungarian Wirehaired Vizsla ?
    Very adaptable and sensible, can go all day but still happy to lounge on the sofa for a cuddle. Easy to train and a great family dog.
  10. Sara

Sara New Member

Name:
    Sara
    I think the sporting breeds like the previously mentioned Lab and Chessie would be very good choices for you!
  11. Berger

Berger New Member

Name:
    Nic
    I would say any of the pointers would be ideal, or weimeraner, vizla or lab. Too much choice I know, sorry.

Can you visit any local dog shows and get to see the dogs up close and talk to the owners. This might help with the decision making for you.

Well done on putting so much thought into getting a dog xx
  12. marianne38

marianne38 New Member

Name:
    marianne morris
    Both my dogs sound perfect for you.

I have a Golden Retriever, and a Nova Scotia Duck Toller Retriever. Although my dogs would probably be in the water helping you fish!
  13. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Does it have to be a Gundog? If not we can move the thread to the General breeds section where you will get wider suggestions.