Help me give my sister ideas! Which breed for me?

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by x-clo-x, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    I think she only has one sister that has recently had a baby and has just been allocated a council house,
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    Unless she has more than one sister that recently got her own council house and recently had a baby, I think it is probably safe to assume it is the 18 year old single parent sister.
  4. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    She has more than one sister and her other sisters do have children. And where in Clo's post did it say anything about a council house..:017: Or that her sister was 18? don't people move house all the time? Is it not feasible that her other sisters with children may have moved house recently?

Of course I do not know which sister it is, as I haven't spoken to her recently. But there you go again.. You can only go off what she's told you and because you don't know that she has more than one sibling you assume...
  5. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Well considering its the only sister she has spoken about that has recently got a council house and has had a baby, its pretty safe to assume we are talking about the same one.
  6. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    But how are you safe to assume? I could just up and talk about either one of my sisters.. how would you know which one it was UNLESS I said something in my opening post. You wouldn't now would you.. therefore you are just speculating ;)

Where in the first post does it say anything about council house? It says settled into a house. One of her other sisters could've moved.. how do you know they haven't? You're assuming.

Just because children are mentioned - does that mean the sister who has just had a baby? Couldn't it mean the sisters who have children already? Assumptions get you no where.

Especially when one assumption arises and everyone thinks thats the truth. Just another chance to jump on a member though right?
  7. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Given chloe`s trend to be open with all her personal life , I would assume she would not have let another sister moving and having not long had a baby pass without informing the forum.

But you may be right and its not this sister but another one.

We will wait and see!!
  8. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    I think that was a bit below the belt and uncalled for. I wasnt going to get drawn in (and still arent) but that comment certainly wasnt necessary, especially as Chloe hasnt even said anything to warrant that remark.
  9. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    yes she wants to go down the rescue route, and i know they will help her match them up better, i just thought i would see what breeds you all came up with.
    terriers seem to be a winner, our family dog who is 15 now has proven to be a great dog and grown up with my brother, i brought him home when i was 12 and my brother was 2 :lol:

or... i could have him all to myself ;-) :lol:

yes i think if she met more of them in the flesh, and got to know the character she would over come the "skinnyness"

ooh lurcher.. never even thought of that!
  10. Luke

Luke New Member

Couldn't agree with this more, watched in horror as the ususal witch hunt begins. I fail to see how things like all this go unoticed by the powers that be. Ho hum.
  11. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    going to relpy to these all in one go, im not very well at all and dont have the energy to reply in detail to every single one.

firstly she doesnt want a cat to whoever said that. she wants a dog. if she wanted a cat then she would get a cat and not be asking about dogs.

secondly, yes it is my 18 year old sister. yes in all of your opinions she probably would be better waiting. but i know my sister, and i know she isnt going to wait. so the only thing i can do is help her as much as i can with it now.

thirdly in her traits maybe i didnt word things better. grooming wise i meant a dog that doesnt need clipping every few weeks etc. exercise wise she doesnt want a breed that needs to be on the go alot, like alot of the gundogs etc.. she wants a dog that will quite happily walk and walk but not one that NEEDS it. for instance my cresteds manage on half an hour a day, some days ive skipped completely, yet they will quite happily go out for hours and hours.

fourthly she knows it could be hard, but she isnt going for a young puppy thats going to need masses and masses of training, chews things etc, thats why she is going to offere an older dog a home.

fifthly her finances and work etc. not that i should really have to tell you anything, because she is very good with managing her money and knows exactly what can go where she knows she can afford a dog and thats all that matters. but no at this time she doesnt work. her daughter is 3 months old. she worked near enough all the way through her pregnancy, except for the last month or so where she moved back up this way to be with the family. she saved every single penny she made and has furnished her whole house off her own back, not a penny from any benefits etc.
    she is planning to go back to work when she can. i wont be discussing her money issues again as she knows what she can and cant afford.

i didnt ask any of you whether she could afford it, or how old she was. i asked what dogs would be good for her. she's going to do it anyway so it would be much more helpful if you could help, rather than criticise me or her.

just thought i would edit this to add i do have more than one sister. i have 4 in total (not full, but that makes no difference, i call them all my sisters)
  12. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    thanks for sticking up for me.
  13. Collie Convert

Collie Convert

Name:
    layla
    As long as she knows what being solely responsible for a dog entails then who are we to decide whether she can afford it or not?!

Obviously having a young baby and a dog is hard work- but it can be done, sadie was 5 months old when my son was born and I coped fine... Same as I will cope fine with 4 dogs (the youngest just 10 months) and a baby due imminently!

Anyway, Im struggling to find breeds that match those requirements so think she would be better being matched up with a rescue (smaller independent ones might be better and go on individual circumstance rather than blanket policies).
  14. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    There is another option, if you feel she is making a mistake , you don't have to help her make it .

You could tell her you think its not the right time, and if she still wants to go ahead, leave her to make her own mistakes.

Yes, you asked for ideas, but you cant blame people for voicing concerns when they see a situation they feel is unsuitable, no one is going to tell you what you want to hear if they disagree.
  15. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe

thank you. i guess in my family we've never seen it as an issue, we have always had dogs, my mum had 2 when i was born and she was only just 17.
    she knows it will be hard work, but she misses having a dog, especially staying at mums with max and then she had to into her own house, and she says it feels empty. i agree with her, i hate being in a house where there isnt a dog.
    shes defintely going down the rescue route, and will probably end up with a random mix, but staffies seem to be looking quite an option, she was looking on dogs blog yesterday and came across a couple who had been brought with very young children.
  16. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    and like i have said, she is still going to go ahead and do it. and i dont think its a wrong situation, so i wouldnt be helping her make a mistake. i think she can cope perfectly well with a dog. while she was living at my mums, and my mum had been at work over the summer holidays she coped perfectly well with a baby, my 11 year old brother and their dog.
  17. Insomnia

Insomnia New Member

Name:
    Melanie
    If she met some Greyhounds or Lurchers perhaps she would be able to see past the 'skinny' look they have. A staffie also sounds like a winner :)
  18. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    i think these are her best choices. i nearly came home with a greyhound at bakewell show :lol: :lol: she was beautiful, i we have a reasonably local greyhound rescue near us so i may go with her and see :grin:
  19. Jet&Copper

Jet&Copper

Name:
    Annette
    I think the rescue route is a good idea too :)

I got my first dog as a skint student so some of the comments on this thread are making me chuckle!
  20. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    :lol: my first one arrived when i was 18 and off to college, my second arrived when i wasnt working and in between jobs.
  21. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Ripsnorterthe2nd New Member

Name:
    Emma
    You have four Sisters???? But how can this be, as according to some your trend is discuss every aspect of your personal life on the forum! :017:

I think you must be lying. :043: