Pointers, dals - which breed? Which breed for me?

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by WhichPets, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Ellie-Dal

Ellie-Dal New Member

Name:
    Jan
    Excellent synopsis of daily life with a Dal! They are not for the fainthearted :lol:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. bijou

bijou New Member

Name:
    yvonne
    How about a smooth collie ? - calm, bidabble, short coated and the right size :grin:
  4. WhichPets

WhichPets New Member

Name:
    WhichPets
    Thanks, with running and cycling she certainly has more in mind than just pottering along but interesting you haven't found an off switch :lol:

Thanks, she has agreed to look at some lurchers if they are cat tested.
    I am still looking to find out if they are up for endurance exercise as greyhounds are more of a short burst type dog?

Thanks very much for the full explanation of living with a dal. It sounds like life is never boring with them! I think she could meet the exercise needs but not sure with regards to them being left alone.

Thanks, I will suggest it :) I like them!

After passing on the input so far, I suggested that getting an adult rescue cross breed might be the way forward.
    There are quite a few random crosses and lurchers that meet the look that she is after, so providing she can find one whose temperament will suit her lifestyle that might be the path to go down.

Do you know if many rescues will point blank refuse people who work, or will they take in to account dog walkers and individual dog suitability?

Lastly, any particular recomended dog training classes in the South Manchester, NE Cheshire area.
    So far she has been looking at one in Altringham which isn't far.
  5. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    I can personally recommend Oldfield Dog Training Club, not sure if that is near you.
  6. Wyrd

Wyrd New Member

Name:
    Tasha
    Dalmatian Welfare/North of England Dalmatian Welfare might be able to help if she thinks she can give a Dal a home :)
  7. WhichPets

WhichPets New Member

Name:
    WhichPets
    Thanks not near sadly though.

As a bit of an update we went to meet a private rehome weimaraner today. He was absolutely lovely, and bit of a sad situation as that's his second home already, and he's suffering from a skin condition which isn't being treated properly. They clearly care a lot about him but I think it's the right thing to rehome him.

Anyway, friend is having a think.. would need to pay for a vet visit to find out a bit more about the skin if she were to take him on. We are visiting another rescue tomorrow although not having much luck round here finding anything other than staffies but she's after something bigger, but still short coated.
  8. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    What about a Dobermann? Males can be challenging but bitches tend to be quite biddable. Plenty of those in rescue
  9. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Ooh, love Dobermanns. There are quite a lot round here, all seem to be related so I think the breeder must be fairly local. All tremendous ambassadors for the breed, superb temperaments.

If your friend doesn't take the weimaraner, hope he finds a permanent home soon.
  10. WhichPets

WhichPets New Member

Name:
    WhichPets
    Thanks for all the suggestions :)

Bit of an update if anyone is interested -
    She did take the rehome weim to the vet and they think it is probably a food allergy or dust mite allergy.

She collected him yesterday, and he is very sweet. He's a bit of a nightmare in the car and was a bit anxious when he first got in the house barking and jumping at the doors, but he settled quite quickly.

We went on a walk with Kestral today for a couple of hours. He has no lead manners but is great off lead.
    Kestral snapped at him initially as he was way too over excited, but as he calmed down they got on fine together.

When he first got home:
    [​IMG]
    2 hours later!
    [​IMG]
    On the walk today (he doesn't stay still to take any good pics!)
    [​IMG]
  11. GirondeDeb

GirondeDeb New Member

Name:
    Con
    Lovely boy...he looks a bit worried in the first pic, poor lad. Hope he settles in well, and his skin gets sorted out. Well done to your friend for taking him on.
  12. WhichPets

WhichPets New Member

Name:
    WhichPets
    Thanks, he was understandably a bit anxious when he first got in which is when that pic was..a bit whingey, vocal and unsure where to put himself.

He's doing extremely well though and she's sent me numerous pics of him relaxing around the house so going well for only day 2!

He's a quick learner and I taught him the basics of luring in to a lie in just 5 mins so hopefully will do well in his new home - it's his 3rd so fingers crossed the last.

The skin is quite red and sore, he's on piriton since visiting the vets and gradually being moved to grain free but will need further trips!

Was so nice to see him Bounding around the lake, river, woods and fields as he's only ever been walked in a local green grass park as owners didn't drive :D
  13. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    He has got what I call the typical Edna Everage face of a Weimaraner that is tense, unsure and unconfident.

If it is a dust mite allergy that will never be cured but can be managed ok.

I would suggest that this dog is put on 1000mg of Vitamin C per day, 2000mg of Fish Body Oil, 400iu of Vitamin E per day.

She may also have to be very wary of vaccinations and flea treatments in a dog which has this degree of skin allergy.

A daily probiotic may help such as Lintbells Yumpro and even a digestive enzyme complex.

Does she have any papers with him?
  14. WhichPets

WhichPets New Member

Name:
    WhichPets
    :lol: had to google edna everage! It's odd because apart from at the start (pic 1) he has actually been very confident. On walks, meeting people and dogs he's looked to take it all very much in his stride. Such a contrast to Kestral.. Do you mean he looks quite tense and pulled back in the face? Is this reflective of a feeling of tension or just a look? :?

Thanks very much for the advice regarding a potential dust allergy..
    If you would go for the supplements, any places that you recommended they be purchased from - do you use human Vit C and E?

In his previous home he was treated with Johnsons 4 fleas tablets (I know these aren't the best).. I don't flea Kestral, but out of interest why may he be sensitive to them?

He does have papers apparently, but I don't think she's been given them, although she should probably ask for them at some point anyway..
  15. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Yes dogs do not have many facial muscles so to see this in Weims (my breed) is indicative of stress of some sort IME either physical pain or mental trauma. So something to bear in mind, it may well be related to the allergy.

Yes I use human vitamins, Healthspan via post is very good quality.

A dog with skin allergies can be hypersensitive to spot ons etc, so you might want to think of green clay powder, garlic, brewers yeast (be careful the latter may be contra indicated in a dog like this).

Personally I often think it is safer to just treat the house and car rather than the animal, that is what I do eg Acclaim and Indorex.

lVermex might be an option re worming or do a worm count to see if it is needed. Quistel lotion or aloe vera spray might be a thought re the skin.
  16. RexNJ

RexNJ New Member

Name:
    RexNJ
    Hi everyone,

Thought I'd quickly introduce myself, I'm WhichPets friend who has just rehomed the Weimaraner (Rex).

Thank you for all of your advice, I'll definitely be giving the vitamins a try and will be weaning him off his Wagg so hopefully his skin will start to improve.

He's settling in quite well so far, his only problem is being left alone, he hates it and can't manage more than a few seconds before he starts barking and jumping up at the door. I'm going to work on that this afternoon with him.

I'm his 3rd home and I'm determined to make sure it's his last.
  17. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Hi, a lot of people will tell you that Weimaraners are prone to Separation Anxiety, this is not true, however they do need to be trained to be alone.

I would strongly suggest you start as though he is a pup and get him used to being "alone" in the same room as you to begin with ie in a crate or, if you do not have one, tether him next to his bed so that he cannot be next to you.

Then progress.

http://www.apbc.org.uk/system/files/private/advice_sheet_6_home_alone.pdf

http://www.deesdogs.com/documents/separationanxiety.pdf

http://www.deesdogs.com/documents/teachingyourdogtostayhomealone.pdf

http://drsophiayin.com/blog/entry/separation-anxiety-canine-style

http://www.clickersolutions.com/articles/2002/sa.htm

http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB/Proceedings/PR05000/PR00314.htm

http://www.clickertraining.com/node/1556

http://www.clickertraining.com/node/3291

http://www.apdt.co.uk/documents/Homealone_000.pdf

Books

I'll Be Home Soon y by Patricial McConell
    Don’t Leave Me, by Nicola Wilde

I have had a one or two Weims over the years.......
  18. GirondeDeb

GirondeDeb New Member

Name:
    Con
    Welcome to Dogsey, and a massive Well Done for taking on Rex.

Listen to Smokey Bear and you won't go far wrong!!!