Designer Breeds.... Controversial

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Moli, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Moli

Moli New Member

Name:
    pat

Designer Breeds....

I am not a fan of these Dogs, on principle I think it is wrong to breed them.....But.......Maggie has a new friend she plays with sometimes on our forest walk, she is a Toodle....I met her months ago at the vets....Tibetian Terrier X Poodle....This little dog can keep up no bother with Maggie, she has the sweetest tempermanent, and is just all round very good.....
    Have to say I am very taken with her....
    Would you go against your principals and buy a dog like this???
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    No I wouldn't buy one but that wouldn't stop me offering one a home if it was in need.
  4. moetmum

moetmum New Member

Name:
    Gerry
    I agree with trouble, I would never turn one away if in need and I could help. I have met many delightful crosses and their naive (in some cases) owners.

I am against the trend for thinking up a cutesie name and then breeding the dog and charging mega bucks. The breeders are not thinking of the potential dog but of the money they can generate.
  5. Julie

Julie New Member

Name:
    Julie
    All pedigrees started out as crosses to make them what they are today various dogs have been introduced to their lines. Only thing I don't like about the designer dogs is the price tag.
  6. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    Just because one is lovey, doesn't mean they all are ...

I'd expect the coat to be a nightmare.

Are both parent breeds fully health tested? I wouldn't pay for one, why is is so much nicer than a poodle or a Tibetan?
  7. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    No I wouldn`t buy one, any cross breed to be honest, but if one was in need of a home and I could give it to them, then I would take it on.
  8. Moli

Moli New Member

Name:
    pat
    Thats very true, others may not be as nice a dog as she is...But thinking all about it, I think I would be better going for a Tibetian terrier.....
  9. Westie_N

Westie_N New Member

Name:
    Nicola
    Wouldn't buy one, but would rescue one.

I also wouldn't call them 'designer dogs' or any of the stupid cross names either - they would be crossbreeds, mongrels or mutts to me.
  10. Moli

Moli New Member

Name:
    pat
    Just had a look at some rescues, there are loads of Poodle x's looking for homes....think it would be the way to go...
  11. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    I would rescue one but to me it is no more than a crossbreed and there is nothing wrong with that. If I was ever to buy a crossbreed I wouldnt pay a stupid price for it, I would like both parents to be health tested and I wouldnt give it a stupid name. Sometimes I am tempted to call my dog a Staffet or a Whiffy to see peoples faces lol, he is just a cross and is just as great without a silly name.

Even my childhood dog was just a collie x springer, not a "sprollie" lol :lol:
  12. Jenny

Jenny New Member

Name:
    jenny
    Moli - Tibetan Terriers are lovely, but then I'm biased:lol: :lol:

I wouldn't got out to buy a poodle cross breed, but would offer one in need a home. So many people are under the believe that a labradoodle, for example, will be non-shedding. Well approximately 50% only will be:005: :005: A friend of mine has a cross between a poodle and a Bichon which is really, really cute but cost over £1000 .... crazy:009:

What is a BULLdog x SHIH Tzu :005: :005: :005:
  13. dizzi

dizzi New Member

Name:
    anon
    I couldn't live with the ridiculous designer name - they're always crossed with poodles and I'm sure it's at least partly so they can be -oodles.
  14. Moli

Moli New Member

Name:
    pat
    If I do get a poodle cross breed, it will be a rescue...;-) there seem to be so many of them in Rescue...
  15. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    I rescued one from many tears ...
    She is a Shih x Yorkie and was rescued at 8 weeks ...
  16. malwhit

malwhit New Member

Name:
    Malcolm
    I was against Designer Dogs and pro-pedigrees until five years ago when I got a Labradoodle:shock:

I was looking for a 3rd dog but could not find a breed of the size/type/temperament/coat I wanted all in one dog. I was browsing the internet and saw a photo of a scraggy looking puppy and I fell in love but did not chase up the ad as I had read all the posts on the internet condemning the "breed". A few weeks later the pup was sale and after finding out both her parents were working gundogs I viewed her and brought her home.

I have altered my views on pedigree dogs as I do think show breeders have taken some breeds to the extreme either in coat or looks. I remember when I was young and Crufts was on BBC1 defending the hairy breeds like Lhasas, Afghans and Pulis. This year I was watching Crufts and realised how right my dad was when he said they looked poncey and ridiculous:x
  17. Moli

Moli New Member

Name:
    pat
    She is gorgeous.....I am a bit far away or MT though...
  18. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    I guess you have to ask yourself why it is against your principles Pat, and whether you are flexible on that point or not.

For me, I don't care whether the dog being bred is a pure breed or a cross breed, bad breeding is bad breeding whatever the breed - and that's what I'd want to avoid first and foremost.

The most important thing to me is that the breeding is responsible, and ethical, with the relevant health checks and adequate consideration paid to how the pups are going to turn out. And knowing whether there are good homes etc.

From a buyers perspective I am interested in cross-breeds because they offer a wider gene-pool (although also have their own negatives, such as not really know what your dog will be like) and because sometimes there isn't a pure breed that quite fits your exact requirements, or because out-crossing can help fix problems. For example, Presa's are getting too extreme and heavy for me - so an out cross designed to result in a more agile dog would appeal to me.
  19. Moli

Moli New Member

Name:
    pat
    What annoys me about these breeders is the fact they breed these crosses, and sell them for silly money, basically they are money makers...
  20. Jacsicle

Jacsicle New Member

Name:
    Jacsicle
    I have a chihuahua x yorkie (chorkie). I never call her a chorkie i always say she's a chi x yorkie. I was attracted to the breed because of a friend having two of the same cross and both dogs (different parents) being lovely, right size for me and nice looking (small but still looking like a solid sturdy little dog, not 'handbag'). I didn't pay an extortionate amount (nowhere near the £1000 mentioned above) and her mum lived on a farm and had a lovely life there - I am sure the owners partly did breed her for the money but they also clearly took care to make sure both parents were healthy and the pups were well cared for. I don't really have a massive problem with this. I know some people will, and I respect that, and I can also appreciate there are people breeding 'designer' dogs with no scruples...but i don't think that's a reason to avoid them completely.
  21. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    I think that's not exclusive to crosses tbh Pat :lol: some Presa's (and a few other pure breeds) sell for silly money :shock:

Unfortunately too many breeders are in it for the money first and foremost - having laws like they do in Sweden would change that almost overnight imo.