Hypoallergenic Dogs - myth? Discussions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Jacsicle, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Jacsicle

Jacsicle New Member

Name:
    Jacsicle

Hypoallergenic Dogs - myth?

So, my friend is rather allergic to furry things. She is looking to give up her job when she has bought a house with her husband (sale going through at the moment, needs to keep the job for mortgage purposes until everything done and dusted). Part of the reason for her giving up work is that shes had some mental health issues and so when she isn't working she really wants to have something to focus on/company so she's not sitting around the house doing nothing and feeling useless. So she would really like a dog (her mental health issues are not so severe that she couldn't care for her dog).

Due to her allergies she is talking about goldendoodles. Now, I have chatted to her about the problem with crosses and there being no guaranteeing the desired 'oodle' part, and also that maybe a goldendoodle would be quite a handful as a first dog.

However, I then went on to thinking whether any hypoallergenic dogs actually exist or whether its all a myth anyway? If they do exist, what sort of dog might be better for her than a goldendoodle? I am only a first time dog owner myself (although nearly a year in! I've survived!) so I want to help her as much as possible with correct advice.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    Dogs that tend to be good for people with allergies are dog like poodles, kerry blues terriers with broken haired coats like welsh, Lakelands and Airedales.
    There are more I would suggest she go to the KC website and have a look.
    I would advise your friend to go to someones house with those breeds to check.
    Or try a breed rescue.
  4. Jenny

Jenny New Member

Name:
    jenny
    Hi Jacqui, you are absolutely right about saying to your friend that having a dog crossed with a poodle, there is no guarantee the dog will not moult. Leadstaffs suggestion of your friend spending a little time with one of the mentioned breeds is a very good idea.

All of the breeds that don't moult, do still shed a little hair. My two shed their undercoats (around the 11mth age mark and it was like having tumble-weed blowing around the house:lol: ) I hope your friend finds a suitable companion.

How is Pippa?
  5. Jacsicle

Jacsicle New Member

Name:
    Jacsicle
    That is a good idea, I'll tell her to try and do that. I've suggested a toy poodle, but her husband apparently has a problem with it being small and girly - I think they're lovely.

Jenny - Pippa is fine thank you! She has been staying with my friend since Tuesday night though as I'm in hospital having had an operation and I didn't want to stress my husband out too much! He is picking her up tonight though as I should be out this Tuesday. She had her first snow without me :-( but I don't think she liked it anyway! She is doing her Bronze/Silver awards soon (going for Silver straight away if we pass the Bronze), and might be selected to take them at Crufts! I'm so excited, but a little nervous if we do get picked...:shock:

I'd post a photo but photobucket has gone weird...
  6. Jenny

Jenny New Member

Name:
    jenny
    Bless you Jacqui. Get well soon! ((hugs)). x
  7. Dobionekenobi

Dobionekenobi New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    I think one of the key things to actually understand here is that in most "allergy" cases, it is not the hair or rather not jsut the hair that is a big problem, it's the dander. Some dogs produce a lot, some much less. However, NO dog is going to be totally shed free and dander free so it really does depend on how sensitive your friends allergies are.
    If the allergies are really that big a concern why not just get a poodle which is one of the lowest shedders/danders rather than buying it crossed with a dog that has tons!
    I assume she wants a largish dog? Maybe a giant Schnauzer? But it depends on what else she wants/needs out of a dog...

I suggest she goes and spends some time with some breeders/owners and their dogs before she commits to anything.
  8. bint

bint New Member

Name:
    Susan
    My mother has asthma, is allergic to my long haired dogs & most furry thing but they have a miniature poodle & she's fine with him. If it were me I wouldn't risk a cross as it would be awful if the dog had to be rehomed due to a reaction.
    Completely agree with the above comment re spending time with dogs/breeders before making any decisions
  9. Jacsicle

Jacsicle New Member

Name:
    Jacsicle
    Thanks, I think they should get a poodle but not sure about friend's hubby...maybe we can try and persuade him!
  10. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    If he wants something bigger she could go for a larger poodle or a kerry blue
  11. tia's mum

tia's mum New Member

Name:
    Linda
    I think the anti allergy crosses are very hit and miss
    Our daughter, who has asthma, paid £850 for a Cockerpoo....who moulted like mad
  12. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    bedlington terrier and Soft coated wheaten are also a little bit bigger and have the same sort of coat
  13. Jacsicle

Jacsicle New Member

Name:
    Jacsicle
    I told her and she says she loves the soft coated wheaten so thanks for that!
  14. Bobthedog

Bobthedog New Member

Name:
    Linda
    I have a Spanish water dog (turco) which is like a poodle but much sturdier, larger than a miniature poodle but smaller than a standard, he has been in contact with several people who have allergies and they have had no reactions whatsoever. I have been a professional groomer for 40 odd years and this is my favourite breed. They are highly intelligent and need a lot of interaction, but this could be a good thing for this lady. There are some excellent videos on u tube take a look. I am going to Spain in September in my campervan, and could possibly arrange to bring a rescue dog back....there are lots!
  15. Cath

Cath New Member

Name:
    Cacoll
    I've a Portugese water dog and there's not a hair to be seen when he is brushed, or when I brushed our previous dog Tangle.

The male PWD is supposed to grow between 50-57 cms, they have either curly or wavy coats.
  16. catrinsparkles

catrinsparkles New Member

Name:
    catrin
    That's very true about the dander. My old fox hound cross was a very dandery dog and both my mum and brother were allergic to him to some degree. I used the anti allergen dog wipes on him before they visited and it did help them and he had no ill effect from them.

Personally I wouldn't recommend a Giant Schnauzer to a first time dog owner, although they are gorgeous dogs they have extremely strong personalities and I think they require more experience. I love standard poodles, but they would have to be prepared for having a giant intelligent clown on their hands!

I've never met a Kerry blue but weren't they the chosen 'hard/status' dog of choice Ireland for a while? I'm not sure if they would be suitable for a first time owner.

As well as advising your friend on types of breeds to go for, it might be an idea to get her some books on positive training methods as an introduction to dog ownership present. Is an exciting time and that would give her something to focus on now. I like The Perfect Puppy by Gwen Bailey as a first book as its really readable and user friendly but full of great advice.
  17. border pop

border pop New Member

Name:
    BORDERPOP
    Wheatens have non-moulting 'hair' rather than 'fur' and also are low dander producing so many people with allergies can tolerate them. As a trimmed breed though they are high maintenance in the coat department and also fairly high energy level.