Help Guess The Breed ID this breed/mix

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Peggy08, May 14, 2013.

1. Peggy08

Peggy08 New Member

Name:
    Emma

Help Guess The Breed

Hello All,

Earlier this year, Roxy, our 14 year old German Shepherd left for rainbow bridge. I found it really hard adjusting to the fact she wasn't around anymore. I decided to focus on something positive and signed up for a sponsored walk over the South Downs. My family and I have now raised £600 for a local german shepherd rescue centre!!

Our first visit to the centre was so overwhelming, I just wanted to give them all a home. Before we left we were given the opportunity to walk some of the dogs, which is how we met Nina.

They believe that Nina is roughly 2 years old and a Shepherd cross... We are unsure of what she is crossed with. Her tail was wagging in the photo but when still it is curled right round.

I was wondering if anyone had any idea on what she could be cross with??? :017:

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Maybe Akita?
  4. Lacey10

Lacey10 New Member

Name:
    Eileen
    Agree with Malka, looks like Akita, she's beautiful :)
  5. Laurabehjet

Laurabehjet New Member

Name:
    Gsd x Akita I think
  6. Peggy08

Peggy08 New Member

Name:
    Emma
    Ahh thanks everyone :D!!
    I've never heard of the breed until now. Just had a look on the A-Z of dog breeds at the top of the webpage and find out some information :)

Thanks again!!
  7. Darcy Boy

Darcy Boy New Member

Name:
    Yvonne
    I think maybe Akita too.
  8. cava14una

cava14una New Member

Name:
    Anne
    I'd say Akita as well:)
  9. Blonderosie

Blonderosie New Member

Name:
    Rosaleen
    Nina certainly is a beautiful girl :)
  10. Sara

Sara New Member

Name:
    Sara
    Akita waa the first that came to mind here too! She's beautiful!
  11. Tang

Tang New Member

Name:
    Pat
    First of all sorry to hear about the loss of your dear dog. Secondly what a lovely thing to do in her memory. Well done for the fundraising. Thirdly - so, d'ya think Nina might be coming to live with you?
  12. zoeyvonne

zoeyvonne New Member

Name:
    zoe
    I too agree Akita. She is gorgeous x
  13. Hiker

Hiker New Member

Name:
    Jason
    Akita was the first breed I thought, but maybe Malamute?
  14. Peggy08

Peggy08 New Member

Name:
    Emma
    Thank you Tangutica :) It really helped me and I'm glad to be helping out a good cause at the same time.

In relation to your third question - It was love at first sight when my mum saw Nina and after a few more visits decided that she wanted to take her home :) I tried to suggest a different name, as Nina is far to feminine for her characteristics but she already responded to Nina so that stuck haha :)
  15. firelight4321

firelight4321 New Member

Name:
    firelight4321
    akita/shepherd mix, hands down.
  16. Tang

Tang New Member

Name:
    Pat
    Oh I can't tell you how happy it makes me to hear that your mum has given this dear dog a home! Wonderful!

When I came to Cyprus, I'd lost my cat and knew it was not a good place to own a cat (the island is overrun with ferals and strays) but missed her sorely. I enrolled to help in the cat sanctuary a few hours every morning to 'feed my cat habit' and in honour of my old cat. And for about a year or more I donated the amount I'd have spent on feeding and caring for a cat to the sanctuary. Also did 'vet runs' for them. It not only helped cats in need it made me feel better and I admit 'good about myself' too.
  17. Clarey83

Clarey83 New Member

Name:
    Clare
    What a gorgeous dog! My first thoughts were Akita too. I actually saw a dog that looked the same as this today on our dog walk, and my husband and I decided it was gsd x akita!!

x
  18. Timber-

Timber- New Member

Name:
    Timber
    I am so sorry for your loss. Roxy would be proud that you helped a rescue and took one in.

I agree with Akita. What's her temperament like and how big/tall is she?

She is beautiful, I absolutely love her face.
  19. Peggy08

Peggy08 New Member

Name:
    Emma
    Hello, sorry for only just getting back to you!!

Thank you again, it really means a lot :)

Nina is roughly 26 inches high. She is a real softy, very friendly to any guests and loves lots of fuss. She will follow you around and then sit on your foot to get a stroke. I think she would be quite happy for someone to just spend the whole day giving her a tummy rub haha!

As she was from the rescue centre we're not too sure if some of her tendencies are due to past experiences.

My mum has had to put a letterbox protector up, as the first day she was home she barked a lot near the letterbox and snatched the post.

She also has a mad 15 mins in the garden each day where she will just run up and down and throw her toys about. She is also a digger!!! Which we never experienced with Roxy, it's so strange to watch how different she is haha.

Another difference is that she is terrified of the lawn mower, she will run upstairs and hide; she was the same with the vacuum cleaner - but has made big improvements :)

She has only been home for 3 weeks though, so it's still early days :)