Opinions about breeds/crossbreeds Discussions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by sesdogs, Oct 4, 2013.

1. sesdogs

sesdogs New Member

Name:
    roxy101

Opinions about breeds/crossbreeds

I have been looking through a lot of threads on this site and it seems the majority are really against crossbreeding and 'doodles', 'poos' etc whatever. and most who have a cross on here are so proud and quick to say 'accidental litter' 'advertised as a mongrel because that's what it is' or 'only 50 pound' its like this is the only excuse to own a crossbreed and you have to defend yourself if you own one.

I think most people do understand that the dog they are buying is a cross between different breeds, and since there are quite a lot of these poodle Xs it is easier to make a name so everyone understands. so what if someone says they have a cockapoo? cockapoo = cocker spaniel x poodle. i dont get the frustration towards it and the owners.

So many complain about the price of them but that really is up to the owner don't you think ?? ok - so you personally wouldn't pay that amount for a crossbreed - it doesn't make it wrong that someone else would.. some people wouldn't pay so much for some purebreeds. It's all about what you like and are looking for. A dog is worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it.
    Me personally would much rather pay 500 - 1000 for a 'doodle' type than upwards of 1000 for a french bulldog for example that has a face so squished up has difficulty breathing and mostly cant give birth naturally.
    im understanding that crosses get health issues too... just the same like purebreeds. all in all regardless of crossed or pure they are both dogs, and very bad breeders in both.
    sorry this is bit of a a rant but i feel the need to say something. thoughts?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Mattie

Mattie New Member

Name:
    Margaret
    I have 3 crossbreeds, I don't know if they are accidental litters or not, they all came from a pound. I love crossbreeds but don't live breeders breeding to get as much money as they can.

We are told that docs are crossed with poodles for people with allergies but if you look into this only 1 in 4 of these dogs are allergy free. Selling a pup as allergy free or not making it clear that the pup may not be is fraud.

Often these crossbreeds are a lot dearer than pedigrees.

A few weeks ago I was talking to someone who had just got a Pug to breed with an Akita, he said he can get a lot more money for the pups.

I love all dogs, most of mine have been crossbreeds but breeding for money I hate, most breeders of these puppies are Byb or puppy farms.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2013
  4. BlueJay

BlueJay Member

Name:
    Erin
    CaroleC likes this.
    A lot of these breeders do seem to be cashing in on the popularity of 'doodles' and look to be in it more or less soley for the money.
    (thats not to say that all people breeding mixes are bad and all pure breeds are good; not at all)

No mention of health tests at all, claiming the puppies will be hypo-allergenic and non shedding and charging extortionate prices for them is where the problem lies, the way I see it.

I was under the impression that pure bred dogs cost comparatively so much because of the price of the tests that the parents/litter have done.
    If the breeding dogs in mixes were health tested for the necessary genetic issues and the pups are labelled as exactly what they are (that is, some of the puppies may not shed like a labrador)... just like a good breeder of a pure bred litter would do... I personally don't see a problem.

There is absolutely no justification in throwing two pet dogs together, who may or may not have inheritable health conditions, and charging £700+ for the "rare" puppies

I think that it IS wrong to support any breeder who is more interested in money than the animals; mixed or pure, dog or cat
  5. Gemini54

Gemini54 New Member

Name:
    jacquie
    akitaboy likes this.
    Hi Maybe some of these breeders should read Mr Jeckyl and Mr Hyde first,it is not done with any thought,their only thought is how much money,they do not have to do health checks like the majority of other responsible breeders who care passionately for their chosen breed,but watch with dismay and their hands tied as there breed is watered down,to something which is unrecognisable as the original.Gemini54
  6. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Well I have no issue with anyone purchasing whatever dog they choose and paying however much they choose to pay, I do take issue with the all crossbreeds are healthier point of view. I have a crossbreed and I have pedigrees including two with squishy faces that manage to breath just fine and are walked with the other dogs and manage just fine with 2 hours walking/running a day. I took the trouble to find ethical breeders who health test above and beyond the tests required by both the kennel club and the breed club and wouldn't dream of breeding from dogs with breathing issues. So really who's the one being judgemental here?
  7. Caramel

Caramel New Member

Name:
    Reena
    I do not have anything against cross breeds / mutts per se. On the contrary I think adopting a rescue of unknown past and parents is just a wonderful thing.

I do however not support any kind of backyard breeding, of people just producing dogs (no matter if crosses or so called purebreeds (so called because without pedigree and certified ancestors, who can tell?)) in order to make easy money.

If people want to breed, if they want to help maintain and better a breed, if they want the joy of having puppies around them, then they should also take the responsibility and do so under supervised conditions as in being a member of a breed club. That however poses some minimum requirements that these people just can't (be bothered to) meet.

Also the advantage of having a pedigreed dog in my personal opinion is that you can research the lines, check for health issues, and can more or less know in advance what you are in for (health, type, character wise). Registered dogs have to meet requirements before they are allowed to reproduce (HD, ED, meeting the standard as proven on shows etc).

TLDR: adopting a cross breed is a lovely thing to do, no need to be ashamed of that. But supporting a backyard breeder in my eyes is a no-no.
  8. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    The problem with crossbreeds is there are way too many BYBs breeding them.

I think if you got some of the best pure-breed breeders together (who health test, are knowledgeable about genetics etc) people might see things different.

Yes price of a pure breed is an issue as well. Cross breeds are much more affordable and people just don't have a thousand pounds for a pup any more, so people justify purchasing a cross breed by them having a wider gene pool. Although that could well be a big positive for a crossbreed, it is somewhat negated when the breeder really doesn't have a clue what they're doing.
  9. Vicky88

Vicky88 New Member

Name:
    Vicky
    This. I agree with it all.
  10. Izzythesprocker

Izzythesprocker New Member

Name:
    Em
    I love crossbreeds, and purebreds. My problem with both is breeding for look or money. I would buy a puppy, as long as it was well planned; (or not planned but the mother is a nice dog) then well cared for. If the breeder cares, then I would pick a puppy. Honestly I think it is good to cross breed occasionally, otherwise there will be too many inbred dogs about.
  11. ShetlandSheedog

ShetlandSheedog New Member

Name:
    Emily
    People are going to pay big bucks to get what they want...plain and simple. *I* myself cannot fathom spending money on some designer breed that someone conjured up and just placed a fancy name on it just to make it sound posh and "purebred." I work at a boarding facility and there are countless Poodle mixes. That is what they are: crossbreds. I have nothing against that, but don't deny that's what they are. I like my purebred dogs; I will not deny that. However, adopting from a local shelter teeming with unwanted dogs is always a great choice. Heck, you can find purebred dogs there (that is how we found our Rough Collie and Ridgeback) My point: whenever I see "designer breeds" I immediately think poorly thought out breeding program, only people seeing dollar signs and the labeling of something just for the sake of it.
  12. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou Member

Name:
    Louise
    I have no issues with crossbreeds being bred responsibly, and infact have come across a fair few decent breeders of Labradoodles in past research for similar topics. I think it's much easier to buy a Labradoodle from health tested parents these days. But as for any other designer dog, I'm yet to see any real evidence of them being bred responsibly.
  13. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    I'm not, in any circumstance ever in my life, no matter how much money I have... paying hundreds or thousands of dollars for a dog. There isn't a point in that to someone like me. I don't show, I don't support breeding or breeders, I don't have money to throw away and I have no reason at all to pay that much for a dog.

I like large breed dogs, with Lab mixed in. I will get those dogs, and no other dogs, until the day I die. It is what I choose. My dogs are mutts... so what? They are as good of pets as any other dogs, pure bred or otherwise.

As long as puppies are cared for properly, and as long as the people are willing to pay what is charged... what's the big deal? Buy a "doodle" if you want one... take good care of it... done deal.

Are "ethical" breeders always perfect? Do they always produce dogs with no health problems? Not a chance in the world that this is the case. My dogs always live a long time and are not riddled with health problems, always live 14+ years old and healthy as they come. An "ethical" breeder could not sell me a healthier dog if they tried.

There are popular breeds such as GSD, etc. that fill up breed rescues and shelters all over... why breed these breeds and claim to love them? Not a soul in the world can legitimately say that there is a NEED to breed, there isn't.

The world is horribly over populated with dogs because of over breeding and incompetents. No need to breed at all... IMO anyway. So there it goes. Breed if you want, but there is no NEED for it... ethical or otherwise.
  14. catrinsparkles

catrinsparkles New Member

Name:
    catrin
    Well said Myra!

I love crossbreeds too, I love trying to work out what they are etc but don't seet the need for breeding. Where I live there are a massive amount of sprockers, sproodles, labradoodles, working cockers, springer x cockers. Apart from the fact that it's all done to line people's pockets what really annoys me is that these breeders will recommend these dogs to anyone who comes to look at them whether they should be with that person or not. We see it so many times through training classes and mine and my friends dog walking business. Hers just a few examples.

1- cockerpoo bought under the advice that it would be hypo allergenic for a family with a child allergic to dogs.....it wasn't so had to be rehomed once it began to loose its puppy coat.

2- a working cocker sold to a family with very young children as a perfect family pet. Wonderful dog and the owners tried so hard with it, attending classes, getting help from a behaviourist but they could not manage the intelligence and energy levels of this WORKING dog who needed to be WORKING! He was only ever happy when he was on his walks and they just could not exercise him enough. They tried so hard, spent a lot of money on trying to keep him, but eventually he was rehomed. Thankfully a great WORKING home was found for him where if flourished doing what he was bred to do!! They then got a show stock cocker spaniel who was ideal for their family.

3- springer x poodle sold to a working family who are out for six to seven hours a day, no dog experience. They have employed a dog walker but for the majority of the day the puppy is crated. Again a highly intelligent highly active breed. We are yet to see if they can make it work. Q

4- a cockerpoo who was sold as being toy poodle crossed cocker......it kept growing and growing...seems they were sold a labradoodles...a very very big strong labradoodle....they were pensioners and just could not manage him. He was rehomed.

The list goes on and on.

A the four dogs I have had as an adult Tonks is the only non rescue, bought for a whole range reasons mostly related to my partners children, I love her to bits...will definitely have a staffie again...but with not be buying a dog again.
  15. Mattie

Mattie New Member

Name:
    Margaret
    What I have found with the breeders of designer dogs is they don't tell the truth. You see advertised with the poodle crosses that they are none alegetic, that isn't true, only one dog in 4 is expected to be allergy free.

I used to have saved on my computer an article by the man who started breeding Labradoodles who explained all this but lost it when my computer died.

A pup is bought because they read it won't make their child ill, they discover it is the dog causing this, how do you tell a child that their adored pal has to go.
  16. Jenny

Jenny New Member

Name:
    jenny
    I've had mongrels and pedigree dogs and love them both. When we had our crossbreed he was literally an accident from a border collie getting out so his heritage was totally unknown and the owner of the bitch just charged enough to cover the puppies food etc. He was a gorgeous dog, lived to be 17 and was very healthy .... I think we were lucky.

In my opinion unless it is a genuine accident all dogs should only be bred from health tested parents to try and rid all breeds and crossbreeds of major health issues. Many pedigree dogs that are bred from have proven form in the show ring and litters are planned. If you have a top class healthy dog, why would you want to breed it with another breed of dog unless it was for money or to start a 'new' breed altogether. Most puppy farms are now breeding 'designer' dogs where the parents have not been health tested ... they are just bred for money and money alone. That is what I can't stand:009: While people are willing to pay ridiculous amounts of money for these dogs, they will continue to be produced along with all the health issues that go with them. I more than accept that there are unscrupulous breeders of pedigrees and 'designer' dogs and these are the breeders who people thinking of buying a puppy should keep well clear of.

So to you comments about this forum being against 'doodle' dogs, no we aren't. However, we are responsible enough to either give a rescue dog a forever home, or at least do our homework so that what we are buying has come from a reputable breeder.
  17. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hear hear.

Incidentally, I wonder why the OP - this being their first and only post so far on Dogsey - has not returned to this thread.
  18. muddymoodymoo

muddymoodymoo New Member

Name:
    muddymoodymoo
    Yes, quite.
  19. malwhit

malwhit New Member

Name:
    Malcolm
    I have Labradoodles and Mini Schnauzers so like both cross-breeds and pedigrees as long as they fit into the criteria I want in a dog:)

I had a Pembroke Corgi years ago, and when searching for a new dog I wanted another but was put off at they way they have evolved into being heavier and with shorter legs than I remembered. Other breeds I admired have changed dramatically - I would love an old-fashioned Bearded Collie or a Cocker Spaniel that looks like the "of Ware" Cockers of old:)

After my Labradoodles I would never go back to owning a terrier-type breed.....as much as I love my Mini Schnauzers I prefer the less manic and eager to please attitude of the Doodles:lol:

Both of my Labradoodles have what I want in a dog - and I did not pay a silly price for either, they were overlooked by other buyers who wanted a massive coat.
  20. border pop

border pop New Member

Name:
    BORDERPOP
    This is just my observation, not a blanket statement but the only 'poos' i have encountered have been highly strung and verging on manic. Quick to use their teeth when you try and groom them because their coat cant decide what it wants to be. What i am bothered by is totally uncompatable breeds, just make me want to cry...when a 'bug' (border terrier cross pug) that has large border terrier sized teeth rammed into a little squishy pug mouth so that they double up and cross, combined with being undershot...just cruel.
  21. Izzythesprocker

Izzythesprocker New Member

Name:
    Em
    Owning a cross breed I can say that they are not always safe from genetic problems. Izzy has bad eyes and is likely to get an ear infection of two over her life time. I think mutts are less likely to get any inherited problems, due to all the cross breeding though...
    I chose a cross because I could not choose between a springer and cocker, so therefore got both.

My sprocker is the best dog I know and one of the best trained in our local park! Because she is easy like a cocker ( she will sleep in the house) and has the enthusiasm of a springer she has been a breeze to train.

I don't mind pedigrees however I do see a lot of heath problems that could occur from being a pedigree, for example pugs I can not stand! Look at their faces, they can't breath! I do also see many perfectly healthy pedigrees too.
    As long as the dogs are healthy I would say it is ok to be a pedigree, a cross or a mutt.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2013