Breed Confirmation Questions

Discussion in 'Miniature Schnauzer' started by Tony Nicholl, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Tony Nicholl

Tony Nicholl New Member

Name:
    Tony

Breed Confirmation

Hello
    We purchased a Minature Schnauzer for £1.000, (who we adore) and he is now 8 months old. We have what appears to be a strong and detailed Pedigree, the only problem we have is that he is about 16 inches tall and about 18 inches long and seems much taller and longer than a typical Miniature Schnauzer. I have heard a DNA may be able to confirm his breed. Can anybody advise and perhaps indicate if there are Miniature Schnauzers this big? Thank you. Tony
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Lacey10

Lacey10 New Member

Name:
    Eileen
    Sorry can't offer any advice,just wanted to say;

WELCOME TO DOGSEY:039:
  4. Florence

Florence New Member

Name:
    Florence
    Could he be a standard schnauzer? They're about that height and look pretty much exactly like mini schauzers...
  5. Anniebee

Anniebee New Member

Name:
    Annie
    My question is, do you love him, would you change him or, are you really ticked off that he's bigger then a mini?
  6. border pop

border pop New Member

Name:
    BORDERPOP
    would guess he's just a larger mini. If your not planning on showing him thats ok. I have seen a few oversized mini's that were definately not standard schnauzers, they have a different look. When you say he is 18inch long where are you measuring from? Withers to root of tail or point of shoulder to buttocks?
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
  8. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    He is just a big one. There is absolutely no guarantee how big a dog will grow. The breed size is a guide, dogs are dogs, some grow big, some dont grow.
  9. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Hello Tony and welcome :)
    A fully grown Mini dog should be 14inches at the withers (the highest point of the shoulders) a bitch 13.
    As long as you aren't intending to show your dog it really doesn't matter.

Enjoy him :) they are a lovely breed.
    Some photographs would be nice.
  10. Florence

Florence New Member

Name:
    Florence
    He's also only 8 months old so could easily grow an inch or two..

In my opinion it doesn't matter how big a dog grows and what breed he is exactly. I'm not sure if you could find out exactly whether it's a mini or a standard by dna testing and don't you think that would be a bit of a waste of money? ;-)
    If he's too tall for being a mini then showing him would be pointless anyway, problem solved whether he's pure breed or not ;-)