Manchester Dogs' Home fire: 43 dogs confirmed dead and youth arrested Rescue

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by 6JRT's, Sep 11, 2014.

1. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u

Manchester Dogs' Home fire: 43 dogs confirmed dead and youth arrested

At least 43 dogs are confirmed to have died after a suspected arson attack at Manchester Dogs Home.
    A male youth has now been arrested on suspicion of deliberately sparking the fire at the animal charity’s rehoming centre in Harpurhey tonight.
    More than 20 firefighters are battling the blaze that engulfed the building in Mossbrook Road.
    Police were also called to the scene at 7.10pm. The arrested youth is currently in custody being questioned.
    A GMP spokesman said: “At the moment it is confirmed that 43 dogs are dead and it is unknown how many are injured.”
    He added that the force had been inundated with calls from devastated animal-lovers offering homes to any surviving dogs.
    “We are having lots of offers of help from the public, which is really nice,” he said.
    “At the moment we don’t know what help will be needed but it is great that so many people are coming forward.”
    Pictures of the blaze were posted on social media by concerned people living near to the long-established dogs home, which has capacity to care for 400 dogs.
    Residents said they could hear ‘dogs yelping’

R.I.P all the 43 dogs that have died. :089:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    So sad :(
  4. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    ive just read this and came to see if anything was on here about it. My vets is running an appeal so ive already organised some stuff of phoebes and my work is giving them some old beds and the entire contents of the "uncollected shed" that im going to collect in the morning (to be fair ive been warning the owners for months im going to give all their stuff to charity if they dont collect it). I cant believe it, what sort of sicko does this
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    So sad, what an awful way for already disadvantaged dogs to go! Every day we hear stories that show how the life chances for dogs are such a gamble - wherever they find themselves. I hope the youth concerned is punished sufficiently to realise the severity of his crime - before his lack of empathy is turned against humans too.
  6. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    watching the live news feed and people have been turning up with donations and a just giving page the MEN set up has already raised £13k. Some people are just amazing (but some are scum, the lad that set the fire is only 14 so wont even get a real punishment)
  7. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    My Rescue home are sending food, blankets & toys to Manchester dogs home,
    Its a very cruel way to die being in a fire.
  8. fieldy

fieldy Member

Name:
    Ju
    Feel absolutely livid,disgusting,what the hell was that youth thinking of?i hope what goes around comes around..am hopping mad and very saddend of what goes on in the world today:(
  9. Jacqui4paws

Jacqui4paws New Member

Name:
    Jacqui
    Too awful for words :(
  10. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    I've been following this - sounds terrible.
  11. frangipan

frangipan New Member

Name:
    Fran
    This has really shocked me to the core, that a human being could do this! I can't imagine the pain those poor dogs went through and I am absolutely devastated by the whole thing.
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Words fail me...
  13. Samm1551

Samm1551 New Member

Name:
    Sam
    Awful news
  14. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Just awful poor dogs must have been terrified, well done to Jason Dyer and his nephew Dean Rostock, who jumped over the fence into the dogs' home at the height of the blaze and kicked open kennel doors after hearing dogs barking in panic.
    Between them the pair rescued around 20 dogs, putting leads on them and bringing them to safety before tying them to a nearby fence and all the others who stepped in to help .

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...mal-charity-s-rehoming-centre-Manchester.html
  15. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
  16. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I hear this morning that folks were turning up in the night, wanting to help, from as far as Yorkshire and Birmingham. The appeal has raised over a quarter of a million. It is hard at a time like this, but we have to remember that there is a lot of good in the world too. I hope this spirit will clear the remaining dogs, and find them happy homes.
  17. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    This tragedy as bought my rescue home the GSD rescue home & the mounted police force stables [we are all within 30 minutes of each other] all together to revamp our emergency evacuation procedures.
    The Rescue Home owner is going to install extra sprinklers in the kennels, store rooms, shops & holding rooms.
  18. manydogz

manydogz Member

Name:
    manydogz (Debra)
    What a horrid thing to happen! Got to be something seriously wrong with that kid.
  19. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    It's terrible and just thinking about it makes me feel sick!
  20. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    Hopefully with the money being donated they can rebuild and something good will come out of this appalling tragedy.

Another take on the tragedy which is so true
    Quote I hope we can between us reserve some of our rage, despair and horror for the countless individuals, not just in Manchester but on our own doorsteps, wherever that may be, who breed or buy dogs with ignorance, irresponsibility and inadequate commitment, then abandon them when the novelty or need is gone.

Without one stupid kid, 60 dogs would not have died at MDH last night. But without hundreds of stupid adults, those dogs would not have been there in the first place. http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/sep/12/manchester-dogs-home-fire-blame-adults

Pets at Home are operating collection points at all stores for donations -monetary and items - with collars/harnesses/leads being in particular demand!! and their nominated charity Support Adoption For Pets have announced they and their trustees are pledging £50,000 to Manchester & Cheshire Dogs' Home.
  21. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Last night reports were saying boy 14 started the fire, this morning it said 15 year is being questioned about fire, now rumours on Facebook are saying the boy is just 9 years old ?
    What ever his age he know exactly what he was doing & should be charged with killing 60 dogs, not just arson.