PLEASE HELP ME! Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by hamoodixd, Apr 26, 2015.

1. hamoodixd

hamoodixd New Member

Name:
    Calvin

PLEASE HELP ME!

Hello guys, i need urgent help. i am writing a article about the cruelty of tail docking and ear cropping, also how dogs suffer by bad breeders, so i have several questions.
    1- Does a dog feel pain while getting its ear cropped or tail docked
    2- why is the act of cropping and tail docking still practiced?
    3- what are the advantages and disadvantages of doing that?
    4- How many times do careless breeders that only aim for financial goals breed their dogs?
    5- what is the disadvantage of careless breeding
    i heard that dogs go into heat every 6 months so how do careless breeders breed their bitches several times a year.
    Please excuse my stupidity since i've never owned a dog lol
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    CaroleC likes this.
    Yes

Mostly aesthetics (especially in regards to ear cropping). Some genuine working dog people feel it is safer to dock tails, and there may be some merit in that.

See above.

4- How many times do careless breeders that only aim for financial goals breed their dogs?
    As many as they can!

Dogs suffer, dogs end up in homes, dogs end up with health problems and dogs bred without the aim of bettering the breed needlessly take away homes from dogs in rescue.
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  4. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Some smaller breeds come into season every 4 or 5 months, some giant breeds once year.
    Due to recovery time and health issues no bitch should be breed more than once every 2 years or more.
  5. Mr.Bulldog

Mr.Bulldog New Member

Name:
    Mike
    Whether its painful to the dog is a difficult question to answer really, no dog has ever spoken out and told us. In theory if its done in whats considered the "accepted" time frame it should be no more uncomfortable than circumcising an infant but again this can only be theorised...
  6. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    I believe the issues from over breeding a bitch are in no way a theory.
    Please correct me if I read this wrong.
  7. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    YES
  8. Mr.Bulldog

Mr.Bulldog New Member

Name:
    Mike
    Yes mate I think you read it wrong.
  9. hamoodixd

hamoodixd New Member

Name:
    Calvin
    Than
    Thank you so much!
  10. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Dogs bred even with the aim of "bettering the breed" take homes away from shelter dogs, as well. I can't stand by and allow that statement to be so biased towards breeding. Regardless of trying to "further a breed", the world does not need more dogs, be they "well bred" or not, and no harm would be done to the world if some (many) breeds ceased to exist. It is arguable that some breeds should never have existed to begin with. As for cropping and docking, it should be done under GA and therefore the dogs should not feel pain DURING the procedure, but afterwards, some pain will be felt.
  11. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Most vets I've ever known dock without anesthesia, so I'd have to say yes it's probably painful. It has to at least be a sharp pain even if they claim the nerves are not well developed or that the pain doesn't last long.
    When ear cropping all vets I know use anesthesia. So no it shouldn't hurt. When they wake up I'm not sure. I stopped getting crops years ago but I never had a dog who appeared to be in any pain. The main issue seemed to be probable itching (not pain) about a week if after when they are healing up the pups some times try to scratch. I have a dog now with nicks out of her ear, like I said I don't crop anymore but she has long thin ears so when she hits them they bleed.

The biggest reason is looks, people like the look.
    In some cases it is done in working dogs to prevent injury. At least that's the claim. With some LGDs ears could get injured and they have different reasons on docking tails depending on the breed.

I don't think there is a disadvantage unless something is done wrong. Most crop/dock dogs live a normal life.
    Advantage is debatable.

It depends on the breeder. Most are probably breeding as often as they can, but it would depend on breeder and their situation.

Hundreds of thousands of dogs in shelters
    Dogs with major health problems
    Dogs with poor, fearful, unstable, etc temperament
    Dogs in bad homes or with irresponsible owners

i heard that dogs go into heat every 6 months so how do careless breeders breed their bitches several times a year.
    Most come in 5-7 months on average. Bitches vary individually as well as they might have a change in cycle. The closest a bitch can come into estrous and be successfully bred is 4 months. This is whether she does or does not get pregnant the previous heat. This might not be common but it'd be possible to breed every 4 months (3 times a year). A female could take 8 or 9 months to come back into season even a year or longer. It depends on the breed, her own body, if she's around other intact females and her health.

That's not true at all. A generally healthy & reproductively healthy, well cared for female should not take 2yrs or longer to recover from pregnancy & pups. You can ask any repro vet. Some actually recommend breeding back to back heat then spaying but due to trying to produce quality dogs this is not something you will see responsible breeders doing. Of course there is more to consider than reproductive health when breeding the general health is very important too. If the bitch was properly cared for than a year later she should be fully recovered. If she wasn't given vitamins, was malnourished, especially having large litter then you can expect longer recovery time. Vitamin deficiency can cause a dog various problems which is something you see in a bitch not cared for. Which translates to long recovery time and having to supplement them,ect.

How do those dogs take homes away from shelter dogs? I don't think that's what is happening.

I'm not following that some breeds shouldn't have existed. Breeds are man made so naturally no breeds should exist. However they became domesticated so people bred them selectively for traits they desired.

Never come across docking being done under GA. I'd imagine it would be dangerous for a newborn puppy.
  12. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Thanks for pointing that out, I've edited my post :)
  13. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Yes to many dogs are being bred but responsible breeders aren’t the ones flooding the rescue system with dogs, its the irresponsible backyard breeders/oopsie’ litters, puppy farms/pet shops’ add to that irresponsible owners and throw away society.

What breeds do you think should never have existed and why
  14. hamoodixd

hamoodixd New Member

Name:
    Calvin
    But, dont registered breeders also breed dogs? so it's not only careless breeders that flood the cities with dogs.
    Also what is the average time a bad breeders breed their bitches in a year?
  15. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Most shelters are full of dogs of unknown heritage, responsible breeders do not flood the market with unwanted dogs...... they are not responsible for all the dogs that end up in rescue, and how you can say they are partly to blame for to many dogs being bred is an equally biased opinion.

the world NEEDS well bred dogs from responsible breeders, what it does NOT need is the irresponsible breeding of unscrupulous breeders who breed crossbreeds and mongrels without any thought . these are the dogs you see in rescue all over the world. ,
  16. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    As others have asked, which breeds should never have existed ??
  17. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Just out of curiosity ..... why are you writing an article about dogs when you obviously know very little about them?
  18. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Great post GsdSlave and Jackie.

I was wondering the same. Maybe for school? I'm interested to know the reason for this article and where it will be published.
  19. Mr.Bulldog

Mr.Bulldog New Member

Name:
    Mike
    The poster made something of a sideways statement in regards to breeds that should never have existed but I'm pretty sure we can extract what kind of dogs they meant. Perhaps that issue is one best left to the aged sages but perhaps whats crazier to think about is the fact that 90% of contemporary breeds have no real reason to exist other than because we rather like them :)
  20. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    CaroleC likes this.
    Your actually going to go down this road?
    You do know your talking in my breed maybe 1000 this year from good breeders vs 50,000 produced by byb and puppy mills and my breed is on the very low end due to there are limited people who want or can handle a dog which will be 120 to 250lbs.
    There is no place in the world that has a 75 breeding pairs like with the puppy mill not long ago breeding cavalier king charles spaniels and your going to compare this with good breeders who have 1 to 3 litters by different pairings in a year?
  21. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    CaroleC likes this.
    If it's done by a vet they use anesthesia. Sometimes a breeder or individual will do it themselves without anesthesia. Then there is a risk of infection and traumatizing the poor pup. In any case the recovery has to be painful. Even if a doctor clipped your tail bone and cut off part of your ears you'd be hurting afterwards.
    Because humans can be dingbats. Some breeds are "supposed" to have it done for breed conformation. Some people think it looks attractive. Like I said, let a doctor do it to them instead if they think it's such a cute look.
    Possibly infection, pain, also you're screwing with your dogs body language. Ears that stay pricked and the absence of a wagging tail can mis-signal dominance to other dogs.
    4- How many times do careless breeders that only aim for financial goals breed their dogs? A backyard breeder might breed a female until she can't breed anymore. Then she ends up abandoned.
    An unwanted pet population explosion, look up numbers at major city shelters.
    i heard that dogs go into heat every 6 months so how do careless breeders breed their bitches several times a year. No idea