PLEASE HELP ME! Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by hamoodixd, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    I've never known of a vet which uses anesthesia when docking tails. Is this a new thing and is it safe, since it seems that there would be a high risk using it on a newborn pup. Not to mention future neuro and development problems?

I've had few dogs cropped recovery didn't seem to be painful. Dogs can't talk and say how they feel but they acted as any normal pup.

I don't see that happening. People spay all the time but I don't see those people lining up for hysterectomies. They will have their dog cut open and parts removed but are not going to let a doc do that instead. People do under go body altering surgery that is completely cosmetic or to add "weird" things to their body.

You do realize there are dogs with naturally pricked ears? (Floppy ears are actually a side effect of domestication) So how is this a problem to have cropped? Also dogs with crops can still hold their ears down back.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    Oh whatever, I guess I'm just biased, Callie must have been "done" by whomever because you can see his tail was cropped crooked. Natural ears and natural tails...that's what I'm pushing for.
  4. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    CaroleC likes this.
    It should be pointed out that ear and tail docking is banned in many countries. In others its restricted to certain breeds of working dogs. In Hungary where I live its unrestricted but as the owner of a Schnauzer, a breed which is sometimes docked, I was relieved that my dog's breeder never docks his puppies. I much prefer a Schnauzer complete with long tail and floppy ears rather than one with a stubby tail and pricked ears!
  5. hamoodixd

hamoodixd New Member

Name:
    Calvin
    I wanted to write an article about this topic because it's a big problem, also my town faces a lot of problems due to this, so i thought maybe i could raise awareness of this topic and maybe something will be done about it
  6. hamoodixd

hamoodixd New Member

Name:
    Calvin
    Thank you. This was very helpful
  7. Mr.Bulldog

Mr.Bulldog New Member

Name:
    Mike
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Well I'm glad the OP has got what they came for although I feel they seem to only be extracting from the info given what they want to hear. As already mentioned where will this article be appearing?

Curiously a thread has been produced about docking and its made it onto the second page now without persons slammed right over to one side of the argument coming pouring out of the woodwork to shout down everybody else, long may it continue :)
  8. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    While I STRONGLY disagree with tail docking, and understand ear cropping in some working dogs. Me shouting my views I highly doubt would effect people who do such, also I think most of this forum are either of similar views or also are mature enough to know the same.
  9. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    I agree LMost. I think people here are laid back, respectful and mature even if we disagree we can express opinions as adults.

I'm one who believes it's a personal choice. So I'm not really for or against it.

I've been on forums with some crazy people before. Sure doesn't sway me to their side.
  10. Mr.Bulldog

Mr.Bulldog New Member

Name:
    Mike
    Most long-standing boards have a higher proportion of crazy people than normal people lol. Animal/pet boards in particular, the exotics boards are the worst but dogs certainly aren't far behind. What tends to happen is you end up with a weird form of oligarchical rule in which the loudest and most opinionated chase off the more moderate posters until theres nothing left to do but circle jerk between each other. But yes you're right it seems pleasant in here and there is good non-partisan discussion. I shall end right there before I ramble even further off topic :)
  11. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Some people just seem like lunatics to me. That's what tunnel vision will get you or outright ignorance.

As for cropping like I said I'm not against it but on dog board I posted a picture of a dog I got as an adult who was already cropped by previous owner. Most people were sane but one poster said I was an abusive owner who didn't deserve to own dogs lol. I'm also totally irresponsible and making other owners look bad. No one should ever own a cropped dog. Blah blah. You can imagine how well all that went over.

On another forum there was a breeding topic posted in the Pit Bull specific forum, I don't remember the exacts since it was so long ago but about female not wanting to breed. I just remember saying something about it either being too early or they simply are not one to stand for breeding as I had a female the same I had to do AI.
    A GSD owner decided to post their ignorance of the ONLY reason why a female would growl or not want to stand for breeding is if she has bad hips because it causes pain. As they tried to breed their female, she did that and when taken to the vet it was found out she had hip dysplasia. It was all ridiculous ignorance as there are healthy females which don't want to stand. My own female has OFA Good hips. She doesn't like to be mounted period.
  12. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    GsdSlave likes this.
    @Bulldogs4Life lol should have asked them why the where breeding a bitch prior to having her hip tested.
  13. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Also, it isn't always apparent which country posters are from. Though we welcome all contributors, this is essentially a UK forum, and ear cropping has been illegal in this country since 1899. Therefore it is ingrained in our culture that ear cropping is morally wrong.
    Docking was only banned here in 2007, (though prior to that many vets were refusing to dock pet litters), consequently there are still a lot of breeders who actually preferred the look of their breed before the ban. Tail carriage in some of these breeds is, to say the least, erratic. I would suppose that as the notion of what is a 'correct' tail carriage for each breed becomes established, the idea of docking will also gradually come to be seen as an historic wrong.
    There are contradictions. An exception to the docking ban has been granted to bona fide working gundogs, because of the risk to their tails - yet many breeds such as Great Danes are also prone to tail damage, and some may require partial amputation. I also wonder how, in the future, we will come to see the natural 'bobs', which still occur in breeds such as Pembroke Corgis, - a trait which can actually be bred for.
  14. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Oh yes I was at the vet one day and there was a Dane with his lil tail wrapped up. He had been docked because his tail was so badly damaged.

I didn't realize cropping had been banned for that long in the UK either.
  15. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    I have to agree that one of the nice things about this site is that you can respectfully agree or disagree and it's okay.
  16. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    And don't you just love those "armchair experts" who claim to know more about you and your dogs than you do yourself? :021: I've been on the receiving end more than once ... for depriving rescues from a good home by owning pure bred dogs .... for owning a breed which I've been told on "good authority" is ugly and unhealthy and should be allowed to die out ... and did you know ALL small breeds, by definition HAVE to be "snappy" and "yappy", which is news to me, but must be right because the so called "experts" are quite insistent ... based on their own limited experience of meeting a few in the park :094:

I belong to several dog forums and its usually a clique of maybe two or three "know alls" who gang up together and can be quite offensive at times. What I find interesting though is that going through their past postings many of them have dogs with behavioural problems which makes me wonder whether this is what motivates them? :102: