Extreme Grooming Discussions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by LMost, May 22, 2015.

1. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost

Extreme Grooming

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    LMost likes this.
    I don't like it. If you want to paint and mould, there is enough paper and clay in the world. I'm sure there is no danger of toxicity, but the dogs have to be so patient, and often stand for hours. The end result is usually ridiculous - especially the landscape designs. Give me a well groomed natural dog every time.
  4. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Think we are on the same page, as I said looks cool but not a me thing. I more into a great looking natural dog.
  5. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    Methinks some people have too much time on their hands methinks...;)
    Seriously though the My Little Pony and panda are cute as all get out but I can't ever feature owning something hairy or poodley. In fact I feel blessed my dogs are completely wash and wear. People come in our store and blow over a hundred bucks sometimes on keeping their pups fur groomed...too much maintenance for me.
  6. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    This is just insane
  7. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Better than being neglected, but it just doesn't seem right to me.

Each to their own, of course, but definitely not for me
  8. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    I prefer to see paintings on canvas not dogs.
  9. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Not for me, some look ok others just hideous, the breeds used will be accustomed to long grooming sessions though I think its done in stages I believe the dye used is like food colouring and just washes out. (Wonder if it ‘runs’ on a rainy day ?
  10. Mr.Bulldog

Mr.Bulldog New Member

Name:
    Mike
    Get a load of this dude...

Crazy-Dog-Grooming-Compet-009.jpeg
  11. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Mr Bulldog ... that's HIDEOUS! I wouldn't be seen dead walking a dog done up like that! It's bad enough when Gwylim comes back from the groomer looking like a plucked chicken ... I feel like hiding him away for couple of weeks till his coats started to grow back!

I remember in the late 50's my father had a customer who was married to an overblown Marylin Monroe look alike. She was a hairdresser and they owned a white poodle ..... well some of the time ... she'd dye the poor dog and her own hair different colours to match her outfits. Sometimes blue, sometimes pink or green. And she bleached a quiff of her husband's hair too, to match! I don't think they ever realised how ridiculous they looked!
  12. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Pork1epe1 likes this.
    I don't think it is cruel but I do wonder, is it possible for these dogs to lead a 'normal' life? What happens when they meet their own species out on a walk? Even without the application of colour, some of them must appear to have an unnatural shape to other dogs - or are they just accepted as they are?
    I did see the dog from the Midlands which was televised competing in America, at Crufts 2013. It was standing on a grooming table, and had been groomed into some kind of landscape scene with trees and clouds. I have to say that none of the dogs passing by seemed to give it a second glance.
  13. Mr.Bulldog

Mr.Bulldog New Member

Name:
    Mike
    Oh yes no doubt the dogs themselves couldn't care less, its the human perpective thats disturbing. You cannot help but wonder about the mentality of the people that practice this, that said there is a certain morbid fascination I have to admit. Its interesting almost in the way a bad accident is interesting...
    dog-grooming-ninjaturtle.jpeg
  14. Mr.Bulldog

Mr.Bulldog New Member

Name:
    Mike
    And this is wrong on more than one level, I wonder if the handler/groomer ever spotted the problem...

AOUaXGvl.jpeg
  15. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Surely they don't keep the dogs like this all the time?
  16. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I'm no expert, but I think the 'mounds' of hair, and the shaved areas would have to be specially sculpted, and would therefore be at least semi permanent. (See last photo). I suspect that the colour would be freshly applied for each competition. I imagine they would need to develop a fresh design for the following year's competitions.
  17. cava14una

cava14una New Member

Name:
    Anne
    I have no problem with it but prefer the ones where the dog has been done to look like another animal tiger panda etc
  18. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    I wonder how comfortable the dog feels with two short clipped legs and two left longer
  19. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    How I feel about this depends on how long they keep the dog in extreme groomed mode. If it's just for say a one day show and by evening they buzz all the fur down and off to a regular pup clip then it's just silly and fun. If they keep the dog in extreme style all the time no that's not right.
  20. angelmist

angelmist New Member

Name:
    Kate
    I think some of those were pretty good. I have see no issue with it so long as the dog is happy and still gets chance to be a dog.