Need further narrowing Which breed for me?

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Jcarpentier, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica

Need further narrowing

Hello all. We have finally narrowed down what we would like in our next dog. We are thinking a dog that is on the smaller side but not tiny because we do have a 5 year old, and though she is respectful of animals accidents happen. We would also like a dog that does not require extensive grooming.
    Of course, the dog would need to be good with kids and other dogs, as well as other animals as we have a rabbit and a parakeet. The latter may be the hard part because I have looked at a lot of smaller dog breeds and the terriers for example all have hunting backgrounds, which wouldn't work with a rabbit. I even considered a beagle but am concerned it wouldn't get along with the rabbit. I have looked at the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel but as stated by someone else in America they are prone to congenital diseases.

What it boils down to is do you think I could get a smaller breed, even with a hunting background, and train it to basically ignore the rabbit? Would getting a puppy make this more possible?

We currently have a lab/greyhound mix and he is fabulous with the rabbit. The rabbit comes out of the cage and steals the dog's bed and the dog just looks forlorn. Its quite humorous to see. Thanks for the advice. It is appreciated.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Maybe I'm the wrong person since I look at anything under 100lbs as a small dog.

But it seems to me your describing a bigger dog and trying to find that in a smaller dog.
    Even your current is most likely to the normal person a higher med size to smaller large end.
  4. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Yeah. I can see that. I actually thought about giving up on getting a small dog and focus on medium sized instead.
  5. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    There are just so many breeds I want to choose the right dog for us. We have been researching extensively before making a decision. We are looking at the local shelters as well. Thanks again!
  6. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Well best wishes in the search, from what I have read, whatever dog you chose it will be a luck pooch.
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    A note re. Beagles.
    Although my two love following (wild) rabbit scent, they have never shown a desire to actually grab at one. With gentle introduction, I don't think this would be a problem with a non hunt pack Beagle.
    However, Beagles are very food fixated, and one of the reasons that so many of them end up in rescue is that they soon learn to steal food (and toys) from young children, who are neither mentally or physically strong enough to repel these raids. They are fun and clever, but unless you were to rehome an oldie, they can be very energetic, and stronger than they look. Lots of supervision needed, especially around food!
  8. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Get a well bred Pug
  9. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Thanks CaroleC. Like I have always said, I could read up on a dog breed but nothing beats first hand experience. I was thinking of a Pug but am concerned they would have breathing problems, Trouble. Maybe I am overthinking this but we had to give up a puppy a few years back because she wasn't a good fit for our family. She growled and nipped at me as well and I couldn't have a dog that would do that around my then 2 year old. It was painful to give her up. So, alas my extensive research.
  10. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    I understand that but a well bred Pug shouldn't have any breathing problems, I have 3 and none of them have any breathing issues at all. They don't particularly like the heat but you get round that by walking early or later in the day, we have a fan on indoors and they have been play fighting as normal. They tend to be confident and non aggressive as a breed and good with kids, they love being dressed up and made a fuss of and yet will run around and be quite boisterous with each other. You can't over think it tbh but every breed will have good and bad breeders, every breed can have health issues which is why you go for a pup from health tested parents that eliminates pups with genetic problems that can be bred out by only breeding from health tested parents. The same applies to the Cavalier you mentioned earlier.
  11. manydogz

manydogz Member

Name:
    manydogz (Debra)
    A Pug sounds perfect. My friend has one and I am crazy about her. Hannah is 11 yrs. old and only has one eye. She was rescued from an abusive home when she was six and brought to my friend. She fit right in with four dogs all bigger than her, a bunch of cats and the kids of all ages that visit frequently. Hannah has no breathing issues or bad habits. She has a tendency to gain weight easily so what she eats is closely monitored. The old girl has now gone blind in her one good eye, but she still gets around and that crinkly little tail just keeps on wagging. I would add a Pug to my Chihuahua pack in a heartbeat.