In your opinion... Which breed for me?

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Jcarpentier, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Azz likes this.

In your opinion...

Hello. I have a question for all you dog lovers. Is it easier to narrow down your search for another dog to a few breeds or characteristics you want the dog to have? What do you think? Thanks for any input!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Have you thought about trying any of the, 'Which Breed for Me?', websites? I'm pretty sure The Kennel Club has one which allows you to take a questionnaire, and then provides suggestions. I don't know how useful you would find it, as when I tried, it didn't come up with any of the breeds which I have owned, and loved.

Somewhere on Breedia, there is a thread about these sites ....................
  4. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
  5. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Thanks! I will let you know what the common theme is!
  6. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    So, the most common breeds were the Corgis, Cocker Spaniel, and Beagle. Larger dogs were the German Shepherd and Australian Shepherd. At least I have something to go off of now. Thanks again!
  7. BlueJay

BlueJay Member

Name:
    Erin
    When doing those selectors, I got gundogs and more gundogs.

I have sighthounds and terriers lol, with absolutely zero interest in gundogs.
    Take results with a pinch of salt :p
  8. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    BlueJay likes this.
    Yeah. I thought as much. But its a start. Most likely will end up getting a mixed breed from the pound anyway. ;)
  9. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    I have never got any of the breeds I am interested in come up on those tests. I want a smooth Saluki and an Azawakh, I am interested in Bracco Italiano too.
  10. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    I've never been keen on those types of sites - at least they always get it wrong with me.

I've found that people often like a 'type' of dog, hence why we classify breeds by type on Breedia: http://www.breedia.com/dogs/by-type (It's not complete, but still worth a look :))
  11. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Yes it's easy to narrow your choice down, you need to decide what size you want, small
    , medium or large dog, what coat type you like, short , long, wire , whether you like terriers, gundog , toy, activity levels , what you are comfortable with and what suits yor lifestyle.

Write all these down, it will help with yor choice, you must already have a few preferences to what you like, put a pros and cons list, and tick off what you like or don't.

Then what you are left with should have narrowed your choice down .
  12. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Tbh the only constants in my choices of dogs owned are short haired and floppy eared and that's the only similarities.
    I've had big dogs, small dogs and in between dogs and had them all at the same time too. I just whittle them down by size and temperament that fit with my lifestyle at the time.
  13. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Yes! That makes sense. Like I've said before I just don't want to make the wrong choice. Been there done that.
  14. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou Member

Name:
    Louise
    Yes. When choosing my third dog I narrowed down everything I was looking for regarding temperament and working ability etc. Made the process much easier when I had a specific 'want' in mind.