Male and male ok? Discussions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Jcarpentier, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Azz likes this.

Male and male ok?

Hello,

I know this has probably been asked before. Is it ok to get a male dog when the resident dog is also male? My dog is very submissive though I wonder if he would be ok with another male? He has been around other male dogs in his younger days though not recently. When he was a pup he constantly got on the other male dog's nerves. But then again so didn't he with my parents' female dog as well. Thanks!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. BlueJay

BlueJay Member

Name:
    Erin
    Tarimoor likes this.
    It 100% depends on the individual dogs.
    I have four boys, two of them intact, with no issues whatsoever, but others aren't so lucky.
  4. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Yeah I thought it would depend. Thanks!
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    How long is a piece of string?
    I don't mean to be facetious, but it does depend on so many variables.
    Is your boy entire? Is the dog you are thinking of adding entire? How old will the newcomer be? What general breed temperament traits are you thinking of introducing?

These are some examples, from my own experience, others may disagree.

Cavalier KCS - absolutely no problems would be expected, whether resident or even just visiting, neutered or entire.
    Lowchen - my entire father and son males really hated each other in the house, but were OK when on neutral ground.
    Golden Retrievers - my entire male never had any problems mixing with other Cavalier or Retriever males.
    Beagles - Scuffles are rare as the pack instinct is so strong, but the presence of food can trigger aggression.
    Lurchers - Very little bossiness around the home, but a tendency to 'gang up' on weaker species when running loose outside.
    I have only ever had one Working Sheepdog. She was an angel in almost every way, but couldn't resist a quick nip at a moving target!

I suspect that this won't help much!
  6. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    I have three males and have no problems. The bossy one is the cocker spaniel - he's the only neutered one, the others are entire. The only problems I had were in the past when there were occasional spats between him and Witty, my late terrier - being a typical terrier there was no way he was going to ever back down in any disagreement!

Because of Bogie's need to be in charge, since I have had him I have only taken on puppies and not risked bringing an adult into the house. He's absolutely fine with any dogs we meet when we're out, but I don't know how he'd react with a newcomer in the house. I imagine if the other dog was happy to be bossed about then Bogie would be happy to do the bossing, but I don't want to risk it.

I've had male border collies and standard poodles together in the past, with nothing worse than a very rare disagreement over a bone (easily solved by separating them when giving them bones).
  7. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    I have 3 males, 2 neutered and 1 entire, all different breeds. They get on fine together although why Teddy the Pug and Diesel the Staffie feel the need to playfight whenever I'm on the phone is a mystery. Teddy plays far rougher than Diesel too, Frankie the terrier likes to believe he's boss but he's not he's just bossy lol
  8. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    My current male is neutered. The next male would be neutered as well. It depends on where we get the next dog and how old he is when it would be neutered. Thanks for the insight as well as advice! I thought I HAD to get a female, which limits the selection. I will definitely do a "meet and greet" to see how the dogs get on first before taking the new addition home.
  9. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Cannot speak to every breed but have had great luck with males, and they have always been intact.
    Females seems to be a coin flip.

Old saying here is guy fight and will drink a beer together after.
    Bitches fight to the death and hold a grudge forever.
  10. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    LMost likes this.

The saying here goes...........dogs fight for breeding rights, bitches fight for breathing rights!
  11. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    I'll have to remember that one, it is so correct.
  12. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    I got 3 males but they are all related