Samson My 6mth Akita - Training? Introductions

Discussion in 'Akita' started by Samson33, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Samson33

Samson33 New Member

Name:
    Adam

Samson My 6mth Akita - Training?

Hi new to the forum...

We've just adopted an American Akita, Samson. He's just 6 months old and for the most part has been perfect.

His previous owners didn't have enough time or spend enough time with him, there are some after affects because of this. Slight separation anxiety, very clingy. But not aggressive with it at all.

Don't think they knew what they were getting with an Akita, seems like he walked all over them even at this age.

When playing with him there's mouthing & nipping that was a little too strong, fine at this age rough and tumble is good for him, but don't want that continuing obviously for as huge as he's going to get, but he's calming down daily with that. Toy distraction really working.

Never had so many looks and comments on a dog. He's great looking and again for the most part very well behaved. No messing or chewing at all, my last dog was much worse for that.

Having some teething problems with his training though. He's VERY independent. Trying patiently to work on his obedience off the lead, and every time I feel like progress is made there's a pretty hefty setback, the biggest of which was his running out of the park trying to play cat & mouse with me in the road. I try not to play into it, any urgency in my voice seems to spur him on. Did calm him down and get him in the park quickly but he didn't come to me, the treat distraction doesn't work when he's really excited about something.

He loves playing with dogs, shows zero aggression, but won't leave it when I tell him and with his size can scare other dogs pretty quickly and won't take the hint until they're literally going for him lol. Recall is really inconsistent, almost non existent if there's a distraction (another dog or something to chase). Tennis balls work well etc. but only last so long, having a hard time giving incentives to come back each time. Only happens for sure when he's absolutely knackered himself lol. Treats like I say are hit and miss.

Does really well on the lead, super intelligent dog already, just wondered what others have done to speed up the obedience side of things.

Sorry for the long winded first post haha... Thanks for reading through.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    I would leave him on a running lead [long training lead] until he as mastered recall, when I was training puppies at The Rescue Home I use a rolled up t-towel or hand towels stitched up along the edge & would push bits of Stilton cheese in the ends, this I found was the best way to train puppies recall, not only was it a toy for them to threw about it was a treat holder too.
    Its a cheap toy/treat holder you can also use any old bed sheet/blanket/quilt cover/ even old jeans/coats if you don't want to use t-towels/hand towels.
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I agree, I wouldn't let him run free until you have a really reliable recall. The long line is a good idea, and work on him switching his attention back on to you, (watch me), give good tasty rewards for increasing the length of time that he can pay attention for. At only 6 months, (and in a second home), you can't really expect 100% reliability. He is also about to hit the teenager phase when things already learned often begin to fall apart.
    Have you thought about working with a trainer? There are a lot of good training clubs in the London area. Check the Kennel Club website for details of local classes.
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I trained my two to quite a high standard but it wasn't easy, they have very strong personalities are headstrong and tend to think for themselves and have a high prey drive. They are extremely intelligent and tend to get bored easily, not what id call really people-pleasers or pushovers to train, they wonder what's in it for them and didn't do balls or fetch, might the first time you throw it, but if you throw it away again you obviously don't want it!

They learn quickly so short training periods are best to stop them becoming bored, they tend to have a mind of their own and can be stubborn, if they think it's a waste of time to "sit" or "stay" one more time, they will simply not do it, after mine reached around 10mths old I couldn't let them off lead as they were not good with strange dogs and although well trained their recall could be unreliable’ if something runs they will chase, if its a small dog its still prey.

I wouldn’t be letting him greet other dogs unless onlead and you can get him off when told to, and he learns some manners it might seem like fun at the moment but could quite easily escalate into something more serious.
  6. BoerboelMom

BoerboelMom New Member

Name:
    Ife

Hello. Congratulations on your new Akita. 6-months-old is fairly old to get a puppy and is going to make training a bit more difficult. I'm glad you have given him a good home. I highly recommend purchasing Only Natural Pet Stress & Anxiety Homeopathic Remedy for separation anxiety. Just like you, your pets are subject to stress & anxiety, but thankfully taking steps to counteract it is easy with Only Natural Pet Anxiety & Stress Homeopathic. At least his previous guardians knew he wasn't fitting in and found him a proper home. Puppies spend a great deal of time playing, chewing and investigating objects. It’s important to help your puppy learn to curb his mouthy behavior. Bite inhibition refers to a dog’s ability to control the force of his mouthing. Puppies usually learn bite inhibition during play with other puppies. When you play with your puppy, let him mouth on your hands. Get some elk antlers for him to chew on, too (I buy Antler Source Elk Antler Dog Chews). I've found that they've completely stopped destructive chewing. Often when we want to reward our dogs for a job well done, we deploy a tasty treat or a butt scratch. The Premack principle is named for Dr. David Premack, the researcher who first formulated it in scientific terms. As for us and our dogs, we often think of distractions -- squirrels, fire hydrants, the whole great outdoors -- as obstacles to training. When your dog’s off leash, the big distraction is the whole wide world, with its sounds and smells and dead things to roll in. Start in your backyard or other safe, fenced area. Dogs romping, playing, running free. I need to start with a word of caution: There is no way to guarantee the safety of your dog off leash. So why train for off-leash skills? For your dog to learn to respond when off leash, start by training without the aid of a leash whenever possible. This is partly due to the fact that people often and inadvertently use physical cues such as a slight pressure on the leash to help the dog know what they want. Of course, you can’t simply head out to the stimulating environment of the park and expect your dog to behave as he would on leash in a quiet, controlled atmosphere. I have a friend who claims she doesn’t like “training.”

7. dgrizzle7

dgrizzle7 New Member

Name:
    Daniel
    congratulations with your Akita pup,

my akita has just turned 6 months and I've noticed a little more stubbornness, the breeder warned me about this around 6 +12 months. His recall is very good however I tend to only walk him off lead if I've got the park to myself or his easily reachable should I spot something.

However with my partner of lead he used to do exactly that, run and wait to be chased. I told her to stop chasing for a start as he thinks its a game, when she stopped chasing, ignoring him and walking in the opposite direction he comes back to her side but its a patience game with these dogs without fail.
  8. Yazmin

Yazmin New Member

Name:
    Yazmin
    My dog is 7 months and she's a model student at training class but at home she pretends she didn't hear me first time and will give me the look lol I agree with the recall game, she also thought it was a game but now we ignore her she soon follows behind.
  9. fieldy

fieldy Member

Name:
    Ju
    Congrats on new addition! I have a husky and remember it well the battle of wills who was in charge! Agee with above abt don't let off lead until your confident with recall. Cheese is always a winner with getting them to come back to you.I do the ignoring trick and make them come to you else their winning! Get the dog to learn commands.its a intelligent breed and will enjoy the challenge!they say with mouthing to make high pitched ouch sound when the dog mouths you..its supposed to remind them when they were puppies and playing to hard.good luck
  10. Nicole Fouts

Nicole Fouts New Member

Name:
    Nicole
    Welcome! I have a 8 month old Akita and also have a few issues with obedience! He is a great Dog! When I give him a command he looks at me then I have to tell home a couple more times, but other times he listens the first time! He can sit, shake, lay down and fetch! Walking him is a tough one for me, trying to get him to slow down and walk beside me! When I raise my voice he cowards and that worries me! ALSO I have a problem with him digging holes in back yard! I also have problems with the nipping! Well it's nice to hear that others have similar issues! Thank u for listening!
  11. Yazmin

Yazmin New Member

Name:
    Yazmin
    Hi and welcome! Akita's are known to be stubborn so asking him to do something a few times sounds totally normal, just keep at it and try to make training fun. Our Akita has recently started to dig holes grrrr! We've just began walking her more to tire her out and have gave her more toys or bones to chew. Would love to see some pics of your dog though!
  12. Nicole Fouts

Nicole Fouts New Member

Name:
    Nicole
  13. Nicole Fouts

Nicole Fouts New Member

Name:
    Nicole

Attached Files:

14. Nicole Fouts

Nicole Fouts New Member

Name:
    Nicole
    He is very stubborn! When he don't listen I ignore him, then he will listen! I turn my back to him! It really does help!!
  15. Yazmin

Yazmin New Member

Name:
    Yazmin
    He's so handsome :007:
  16. Nicole Fouts

Nicole Fouts New Member

Name:
    Nicole
    Thank u!
  17. Justjay1123

Justjay1123 New Member

Name:
    Jessica
    One thing mine is fantastic with is her recall. She is off her lead the minute we reach the park gate.
    I did it by finding a quiet pathway, where she only had the pathway. No open field or anything and I would let her off but I would make her stay behind me. Whenever she tried to get past me, she would get one firm 'back' if she tried again it would be on the lead for ten minutes or so.
    I know they can be a nightmare to catch, but I have a thing where if shes tried to run I give her lower back a push and she just sits.
    She quickly got the idea when I stopped she stopped or it was on the lead.

Only took my about 2 weeks and she pretty much nailed it(she was a fair bit younger though) But I can now walk through with my eyes closed knowing she in the trees somewhere behind me.
    Were slowly mastering how to walk on the sidewalks and cross the road properly, aiming to have no use for the lead at all.