Has anyone brought an Akita pup in to a house with other dogs Questions

Discussion in 'Akita' started by /Hayden, Jan 29, 2017.

1. /Hayden

/Hayden New Member

Name:
    Lee

Has anyone brought an Akita pup in to a house with other dogs

Hi..we have 3 dogs and are thinking of getting an Akita puppy. The dogs we have are a male terrier and male Lhasa apso and a female poochon. They r all neutered/spade and all have a wonderful temperaments. Would love to hear from anyone who has brought an Akita into a similar stituation...thanks
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I didnt have small dogs but had a Gsd when I got my first Akita, then when he was about 18mths old when I got another Akita puppy, and I never had any problems.
    I think it depends on the dog more than it depends on the breed.
  4. /Hayden

/Hayden New Member

Name:
    Lee
    Thanks.we was told by a few different people that it would be ok if we got a female.someone worried my wife the weekend by saying it would attack the dogs we already have,I agree it depends on the individual dog it will be a pup and the breeder is know as a reptiable breeder and said the two she is using have amazing temperaments.
  5. Boerboel

Boerboel New Member

Name:
    Misty
    Hello, Lee. Akitas are wonderful dogs! As long as you don't have an intact female, then sexes really don't matter. However, I've found neutered males to be much more aggressive than intact males. I've never had an Akita, but I've had many Boerboels over the years and they are a lot of dog to manage. The pup isn't the one you need to worry about, but the temperaments of your current dogs.
  6. /Hayden

/Hayden New Member

Name:
    Lee
    Thank you for your possitive comments,our dogs do have lovely temperaments so fingers crossed we should be ok.
  7. Branjo Snow

Branjo Snow New Member

Name:
    Branjo
    My Story.

I had a female Maltese-Poodle and an Intact male Siberian Husky at the time I brought the Akita home.

When I presented the Akita, the Husky (Hugo) tried to rip her out of my arms by the head to shake and kill her I can only imagine, I had to kick him away and grabbed him by the pelt and shook the bejesus out of him while throwing his butt in the laundry room for a time out, all while still holding the Akita pup in my arms. It really scared him (and me to be honest) enough to know this was not going to fly in this pack.

See we had just lost his mother figure, a beautiful White Siberian Husky (Gaia) a couple of months prior to a horrible stomach disease of ulcer like things all over her stomach walls, draining her of her own blood from the inside, they were both so close it was heartbreaking to see the effect it had on him. He wouldn't eat or play at all, it was hell for him, even though the Malti-poo still showed him affection, it was Gaia that taught him how to behave like a Husky when he was a puppy, you could literally see her training him, it was a sight to behold.

This was Gaia, 2008 - 2016. Best dog I have ever had the pleasure of knowing, this picture still chokes me up.
    Gaia 2.jpg

This is Hugo.
    Hugo 2.jpg

He became so depressed it was this reason we went to see about getting another pup, yes I went to the puppy store (I know I shouldn't have and won't in the future) and looked at a ton of puppies, bringing them out and seeing how they were, most were far too bitey for me. We looked at Bulldogs, Doberman, even Husky's but none just clicked with us.

We were alone in the store at about 10am and an Akita had just came in that night at 8 weeks old, we were the very first people to see her when they put her in the horrible windowed cages. So we asked to see her, she came straight to me, curled up into my crossed legs as I sat on the floor and just stared at me, that was all I needed to see, the bond was instantaneous.

This is Luna.
    Luna 2.jpg

There will be an adjustment period, maybe even a reaction like my boy had, but I made sure he knew that she was under my protection when he tried what he did. We had also bought Ferrets before and the white Sibe in the pic instantly let the ferret run all over her and she was in heaven with it, Hugo however tried to eat it, so the ferrets had to back to the store.

Don't be put off by this kind of reaction though, a new pup means new rules have to be laid down, as long as you make it instantly clear that this pup is a new addition to your family, even by the threat of force if you have to (you are for all intents and purposes the mother), then they will fall into line.

This is how they are now.
    Hugo, Luna and Emma.jpg
    All are happy and play great together, though the Husky will still occasionally get in between the Akita and Malti-poo when they play kinda rough. The Malt-poo (Emma) is 9, Hugo is coming 6 and Luna is coming 6 months.

They are a handful sometimes but I would not have them any other way.

Did you get the Akita, and if so how are things going with the new addition????

Attached Files:

8. /Hayden

/Hayden New Member

Name:
    Lee
    Hi glad all has worked out for you.
    We decided to go ahead and did a lot of research and visited breeders .we now have a deposit down and the pups are 2 weeks old.
  9. Branjo Snow

Branjo Snow New Member

Name:
    Branjo
    /Hayden likes this.
    Awesome, pics please, no one can resist an Akita "cub", they do look like little bears. If I could I would fill the house with them, but then the wife would leave me lol.

Gonna be a hard 6 weeks wait for you but the pay off is so worth it.
  10. /Hayden

/Hayden New Member

Name:
    Lee
    GsdSlave likes this.
    IMG_4323.JPG So the wait is over we have got our 8week old pup home with us. All is goin ok one of our dogs just growls at her when she walks by him but noting else.
  11. Branjo Snow

Branjo Snow New Member

Name:
    Branjo
    /Hayden likes this.
    That was definitely worth the wait, she is absolutely beautiful!.

Yeah my male husky took it upon himself to teach her the pecking order, perfectly natural. I think even though she is tiny now the other dogs instinctively know how big shes gonna get, so the house rules have to be laid first before she towers over them.

Start your training straight away, I think I taught mine how to sit and give her paw in the first week, they are so damn smart.

Best for luck.
  12. Branjo Snow

Branjo Snow New Member

Name:
    Branjo
    Hows things going Hayden, everybody still playing nice together?
  13. /Hayden

/Hayden New Member

Name:
    Lee
    GsdSlave and CaroleC like this.
    All good thanks. Everyone getting on well lots of play going on. Lol. Puppy classes are going well too. IMG_4662.PNG IMG_4562.JPG
  14. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    /Hayden likes this.
    beautiful pup :049:
  15. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    /Hayden likes this.
    What a gorgeous huggly puppy! :007:
  16. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    CaroleC likes this.
    No pup can be that gorgeous! I think it's a plush toy.!
  17. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    /Hayden likes this.
    Just beautiful!
  18. /Hayden

/Hayden New Member

Name:
    Lee
    Thank you all we are so pleased with how she is doing.
  19. Gavin Otero

Gavin Otero New Member

Name:
    GavAsh
    /Hayden and CaroleC like this.
    I have a 150 pound rotterman and I brought a 2 month old Akita pup into the house and believe it or not but they get along so well. She actually scares him which is weird but he thinks that she is his pup so he takes care of her.
  20. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I am not going to ask a "rotterman" is but I do hope an expert will soon let me know!
  21. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Rottweiler X Dobermann :)