paw in the water bowl? Questions

Discussion in 'Alaskan Malamute' started by smak, Aug 18, 2018.

1. smak

smak New Member

Name:
    Paul

paw in the water bowl?

my mal pup is just over 10 weeks and he now has a tendancy of knocking over his water dish.

its not a hunger thing, he'll have just eaten a monster portion and after drinking his share of water he will put his paw flat into the still half full bowl of water, and splash around.

is this playfullness, yearn to swim, or telling of some other behaviour that i'm not familiar with.

i've had to take the water away and just offer him rations when I see him up and about because the floor is always getting soaked with water.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Might seem like an obvious question, but is the bowl cleaned with warm soapy water and refilled with fresh water everyday? Dogs can tell if water or the dishes its in are not clean :lol:
  4. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Some dogs like grungy water.. but still you should clean all bowls regularly
  5. smak

smak New Member

Name:
    Paul
    actually a huge pet peve of mine seeing bits of floating particulate in dogs water bowls.

I certainly clean mine out often.. I use the dish sponge from the sink to rinse, not necessarily re-soaping it every time figuring soap residue would be more of an issue than previous water funk.
  6. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Lots of pups do that, usually they grow out of it, put old towels under dish or get a non spill dish.
    The Road Refresher has good reviews.http://www.roadrefresher.com/
    Personally I don’t like the idea of with-holding water, especially if fed complete.
  7. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Well he’s not on his own. Yoji is a messy drinker, so, if it’s just that problem with yours have a try a what we do now
    I gave him a drink outside to show you how bad he is and the after photo is his water dish inside my grannies bread mixing bowl ( I’m not sure if she would approve ! ) 660FB13B-20E9-438F-9E07-5ABE841E8C97.jpeg F7824C43-CBA9-41C8-B9F1-06E0F5D0186E.jpeg

Attached Files:

8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka and GsdSlave like this.
    Merry is a messy drinker too. A mat under the bowl takes most of it, but she leaves a trail behind her.
    Puppies often play in their water, actually I think it's cute. Put the bowl on a towel and just keep refreshing it.
  9. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    Mine have all been messy drinkers, years ago I had an old stool that I adapted, looks a bit grubby now, I still get the odd dribble but nothing like before.

Attached Files:

10. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I'll have to go have a word with my OH.
  11. smak

smak New Member

Name:
    Paul
    I am around enough that he never goes thirsty.

nanook's a pretty messy drinker too, when he finishes lapping water up he walks away and about three mouthfulls of water somehow slowly leak from his muzzle afterwards.

he now has taken to laying down as he drinks, legs sprawled out behind him.

i'll go back to leaving out a full bowl next week and see how it goes.
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Chris B likes this.
    I use bowls like this, which cannot be tipped over
    [​IMG]
    both for water and for food. The water bowl is quite small and is kept in the salon, so if I go past it and the level is low, I add more water.
  13. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Eddie drinks lots at a time, so he needs a deep water bowl - currently a stainless steel pan with the handle removed.
    I have seen infra-red footage of the puppy farm where Eddie was born. It showed closed wooden boxes with holes for rabbit water bottles for whelping and newly whelped bitches, and piped metal drip drinkers for older stock. He was reared on Purina ProPlan puppy food, and even ten years later he still has trouble knowing when to stop when he drinks water.
  14. smak

smak New Member

Name:
    Paul
    th
    thats exactly his food dish.

if he wouldent still be a threat of splashing his paw into the water and trying to splash about i'd switch.